Haldex soft-docking system

Does anyone have this on their trailers and if so, what is your opinion of it?

We do, after your first attempt where you get out of the truck and take your keys in only to be told that you’re a foot short of the bay it gets easier!

They can be a bit over sensitive especially in wet weather resulting in you looking like a complete newbie as you kangaroo hop across the yard. Som of the sensors on ours get bent down so I end up removing the ABS lead until I’m on the bay.

It’s a good system…

The trailer brakes come on automatically as you get closer to the bay.

It’s also a good idea to inform the driver that the system is fitted though. When I first came across it, I thought that my red line had come off because the trailer just stopped about six feet away from the bay. I got out and checked everything over, got back in again, did another two feet and the ■■■■■■■ thing stopped again. After two more attempts, I considered pulling all my lines off and going in on the shunt button. Eventually I smelled a rat and asked another driver WTF was going on. He looked at my trailer (luckily he’d used one before) and explained it all to me.

The system might not have been by Haldex but it was the same principle.

Years ago, Dunlop trucks had a system were a soft impact applied the brakes when vehicle being reversed, so as top blokes when a Dunlop truck was reversing across the yard a swiftly bowled van tyre at the buffer stopped it dead, hours of endless fun, drivers got ■■■■■■ off at us tho.

Ahh yes. Soft docking. Here you go Mr CEO, buy this system for your trailers with the money you saved employing the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel, so that the seat kebabs* who attend your poverty spec steering wheels don’t damage your trucks.

Christ. I might manage to turn a simple straight line reverse into an epic 10 shunt saga from time to time :wink: , but even I can manage to not ram raid the bay.

*Credit diesel dog for the excellent phrase

biggriffin:
Years ago, Dunlop trucks had a system were a soft impact applied the brakes when vehicle being reversed, so as top blokes when a Dunlop truck was reversing across the yard a swiftly bowled van tyre at the buffer stopped it dead, hours of endless fun, drivers got ■■■■■■ off at us tho.

Ah yes, a bit like the emergency stop button on busses… kids on the estate never got tired of pressing those when you’re stopped at a bus stop.

the nodding donkey:
Ah yes, a bit like the emergency stop button on busses… kids on the estate never got tired of pressing those when you’re stopped at a bus stop.

Apparently…

Smearing dogs muck on the button stops that problem.

All the Tesco trailers about NI have had this system fitted for a few years,
thought it worked well once you got used to the jumping out coming up short like others have said!!![emoji848][emoji20]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

When I was driving Poundland hired ex co-op 33ft trailers which had em on but no one told us they had them lol,first time took one went to the Arndale Manchester drove all the way round to the bays by the exit,managed to get round the many vans got within 6ft of the bay,bloody thing refused to go further back no matter what looked like a right chump.
Blocking vans and trucks trying to get past so just left the red airline connected put it on the bay tipped connected back up drove back work said “oh didn’t we tell you?” Lol thanks for that,that said can see how it saves trailers and bays getting knocked about.

A good invention when they’re working as they should but when they play up it’s a ■■■■■, just don’t reverse too quickly because if the brakes suddenly come on you might shoot the load out through the back doors if you pardon the expression.

Just to add I’m glad we ain’t got them.

I detest it because it’s yet another emblem of dumbing down. I detest virtually everything automated.

Also, you get so used to it, on the rare occasions it doesn’t work, you tend to smash into the bay because you’ve grown so used to the resistance.

Plus, sometimes it glitches, so I have to get out and take the ABS lead off, otherwise I’d use all my driving time up reversing the last 6 ft.

It’s ok if backing on a bay down slope last 6 feet chuck it in N

Had it on Skellys years ago. Caught me by surprise the 1st time, didn’t have a clue why I couldn’t get it on a bay. Started taking out the electric suzie before reversing :wink:

You lot are making hard work of this reversing thing get out and take leads off.Just press the brake pedal down hard 2 or 3 times when it stop that way you over ride it .

I was doing store deliveries for Tesco and nobody bothered to tell me about this system on there trailers, so gets to the store and do you think i could get it on a bay jeez! The store workers must of thought i was nuts lol. Then gets back with waste backs onto bay jumps out goes into unload open bay door and bloody trailer was miles away (what a day!).

Lots of our trailers have it with varying degrees of sensitivity.
Most are fine and you get a knack for tickling her in to tight spaces.

Some however premature ■■■■■■■■■ their way onto a bay like a kangaroo on acid.

In general you get a feel for the buggers, one of our lads reversed up the yard full lick and the soft dock kicked in, funny as fork as he ended up on his bunk.

Ours have them…one of the day drivers doesn’t like to waste 3 valuable seconds waiting for it to reset so puts a bit of electrical tape over them…stops them ‘wonking’! :wink:

I was reversing across an open and empty yard last week (probably faster than I should’ve been) and it decided to activate itself mid reverse resulting in me banging my head off the window frame :blush: :imp:

If you’re on a slight decline towards the bay I just let it roll and it will gently put you up against the dock but when using the accelerator it doesn’t seem to work as good. I can definitely get it on just as good or better without it so don’t really see the point.

Comes in handy as a reversing sensor though when reversing up to buildings or trailers etc.

A good idea in principal however in the real world of transport things are different.

We have had it fitted to all trailers since about 2010 it has probably caused as much damage as it prevents, the brakes come on short of the bay then the car driving plant pot jams his foot on the go pedal a second or two elapses then the trailer is slammed dunked on the dock.

The dummy in question usually has the stereo blaring during manoeuvring and doesn’t have the sense to roll down the window and listen for the hiss of the valve releasing the brakes, the upside is less bollards armco etcetera and any other hazard the company likes to paint yellow gets knocked over.

Still getting the odd phone call from club members “the trailer won’t go backwards what do I do”

I think the idea was to stop people/property being flattened, not to help club plant pot reverse onto a bay.