Whos done the job?

I have been doing a few different jobs through agencies for a short while now anyway i got a call of a job i applied to a few months ago its fulltime work direct with a company. Im fed up we having no rights not entitled to holiday pay, sick pay, pension and so on.
The job is driving road sweepers which im told can be a bit boring but pays a decent wage…
Has anyone any experience with the job, wages ect?

Bost:
I have been doing a few different jobs through agencies for a short while now anyway i got a call of a job i applied to a few months ago its fulltime work direct with a company. Im fed up we having no rights not entitled to holiday pay, sick pay, pension and so on.
The job is driving road sweepers which im told can be a bit boring but pays a decent wage…

Mate of mine works for the local council doing that, he is on less than any driver I know. 18k per year.

Council always pay a ■■■■ wage though well from my experience. This is with a private company.

strange, I worked for rapier for nearly two years and received holidays with pay,far as i’m concerned they were a good agency to work for

Bost:

You will need to brush up on your highway code.

Not saying agency is all bad. I have worked for 1 very good agency recently but the chance at working for a company is extremly tempting.

You’re entitled to holiday pay on agency if paye. Sweepers = crap rate but loads of hours as you’re off the tacho. Dreadful work. And council would most likely pay better!

In the future you will have lhd experience, if you fancy a bit of Euro work :bulb:

Suedehead:
In the future you will have lhd experience, if you fancy a bit of Euro work :bulb:

True…they must need their roads swept too!

TiredAndEmotional:

Suedehead:

True…they must need their roads swept too!

Funnily enough though…our sweepers are right hand drive… :grimacing::wink:

I have, although it was about 17 years ago so things will have changed a little since.
LHD Ford cargo with a Johnson 600 mounted dual kerb brush and a gully sucker, since I had done a fair bit of continental driving the LHD didnt bother me at all.
The work I did was mostly building sites so Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings were our busiest times and depending on if the developer starts selling houses whilst building is going on, be prepared for angry residents nutting off for bringing your noisey plant and disturbing them. The same residents will be complaning to the developer about the amount of mud on the road.
Also, its a very seasonal job. Winter time will see you working mad hours whilst in summer could see you laid off. For us, we had job sucking out gullies during the summer but if you dont have a couple of helpers pulling grates and operating the sucker arm, dont bother as you will be in and out of the cab like a fiddlers elbow and it will take you 10 times longer.
Especially working on main roads, despite an array of flashing lights, the average car driver seems to think caution doesn’t apply to them so near misses happen a lot with much horn blowing and obscene gestures for daring to impede their importantness.
When I was doing it, even though the truck weighed about 12 tons, you could drive one on a car licence (this may not be the case nowadays) but I would imagine that would have been a factor in keeping wages down. I was working for the company as a fitter and relief C+E driver
so my wages were pretty reasonable at the time.
Not as boring as you would think as most of your time would be spent driving between sites, typically an hours road driving, 20 minutes sweeping. Tip out then back out on the road and on to the next job. A bit like multidrop really.
Seem to remember a Scotish outfit built a couple of sweepers on sleeper cab chassis that outbid us on the A1 upgrade job at Leeming bar. Double manned working 24 hours a day and away from home for weeks on end, but that is probably the more extreme side of the job.

Hope this is of some help.

Bost:

Hi,
You should receive holiday pay (legal requirement) and at the bare minimum you would get statutory sick pay as well, you do of course have employee rights! All this is null and void if you are LTD or umbrella though. I wasn’t sure which to go for so went PAYE. Tell the agency you want to go paye, if you aren’t already and if you are, then you are entitled to the above.
Tommy.

I managed to last 2 weeks on sweepers before jacking it. Just wasnt the job for me. I hsd an allocated Daf LF with a johnston VT651 sweeper body. Truck was a 4 over 4 manual. Was a 16 plate and gearbox was tosh. They ride horrendously due to the really short wheelbase and scream their ■■■■ off above 50.
I thought I’d cope with pootling around in 1st or 2nd gear but it really wasn’t for me. Wasn’t the firm’s fault either. You won’t be on tacho so expect to do lots of hours especially in winter months

Bost:

Yes you do if you’re doing agency on PAYE. I get all of that. Maybe you shouldn’t have signed up self employed so you could pay less tax.

eagerbeaver:

Bost:

You will need to brush up on your highway code.

What a sweeping statement.