Sacked it before I started it

Hi All,
Some might remember my post about starting a FT job on Monday, well I have decided not to take it after all. I am doing some agency work for a company in Nantgawr at the moment and I explained my situation and the fact that I wouldn’t be back after yesterday, at that point I was asked by the TM to go back to the truck I had used all day to put something into it that really could have waited. I was still on the clock so I obliged. He came out to me as I was making my way back and said, if I don’t want to do the job I was telling him about then he would guarantee me work until Xmas via the agency and said if I carry on as I have done so far (well I presume) then there would be a job for me after x mas with the company, not through agency.
This job is 20 minutes from me as a pose to 45 to an hour for the other one, no bridge fee where the other job was over the bridge and would have cost me £6.70 a day! The wage in the one I am doing now will be what I was told it would be (but was lied to) by the recruiter that put me forward for the first job.
All in all, I think I am better off where I am EVEN if it is only until x mas, I will have enough to do my class 1 if need be, by that time.
The company in Severn beach, Wren kitchens, is/was looking for 20 class 2 drivers. They are happy to take on new drivers also. If anyone want’s the TM’s mob number, PM me and I will pass it over to you.
ATB,
Tommy.

TommyTanker:
The company in Severn beach, Wren kitchens, is/was looking for 20 class 2 drivers. They are happy to take on new drivers also. If anyone want’s the TM’s mob number, PM me and I will pass it over to you.
ATB,
Tommy.

Jesus mate you dodged a bullet if it is Wren. Nice fleet, they pay OK and everything is totally done by the book but the job is crap. You end up handballing flat pack kitchens into people’s houses in residential areas, many times down streets you can’t fit down, sometimes it is into their garage, sometimes its a 6th floor flat, and having to listen to them rant at you because parts of it are missing. Wren’s main hub/factory is based a couple of miles down the road from HJ where I’m at.

It was all ways a no brainer 20mins commute no bridge toll or 1 hour commute and bridge toll
Seems you’ve shook the TM up and forced his hand early as it sounds like he may have offered you FT any way

Conor:

TommyTanker:
ATB,
Tommy.

Jesus mate you dodged a bullet if it is Wren. Nice fleet, they pay OK and everything is totally done by the book but the job is crap. You end up handballing flat pack kitchens into people’s houses in residential areas, many times down streets you can’t fit down, sometimes it is into their garage, sometimes its a 6th floor flat, and having to listen to them rant at you because parts of it are missing. Wren’s main hub/factory is based a couple of miles down the road from HJ where I’m at.

Hi Conner,
I was mis-sold the job from the off tbh, The recruitment agency told me 26k basic with time and a half after that and a 38 hr basic week. TM told me at the interview that it was 48 hr week at 10.48 an hr flat rate. This put a bitter taste in my mouth from the off tbh. If they hadn’t left it a week and a half to start me I would be working for them, as it is, I am happier this way. I didn’t particularly like the TM’s description of the job (which is as you have said) but accepted it as it was FT and guaranteed money, but a ballache by his own account. The decision I have made hasn’t been an easy one, to be honest. This way though, I don’t have a drivers mate who could be anyone in the world from a total arse to a lovely bloke, it is a bit of a lottery. Anyway, time will tell if I have made the right decision, and if not, I had a call from an agency yesterday who I explained the situation to and said if it falls apart after x mas to contact him because his books are full in the new year! Win win I guess.
ATB,
Tommy.

I went FT off an agency job. I had always said I would never do general haulage, but they were a good crowd and usually asked for me from the agency. They asked me to move several times before I agreed, even though I once lost all the paperwork off a two-day trip. I stopped the night in a Redhill factory estate and had fish and chips for dinner. In the morning, I dumped the F&C paper in a handy skip - along with all the notes. Oops!

The odd thing was that while I was quite happy working for them - decent kit, no hassle and friendly drivers - other guys on the same agency didn’t want to go there at all.

Santa:
I went FT off an agency job. I had always said I would never do general haulage, but they were a good crowd and usually asked for me from the agency. They asked me to move several times before I agreed, even though I once lost all the paperwork off a two-day trip. I stopped the night in a Redhill factory estate and had fish and chips for dinner. In the morning, I dumped the F&C paper in a handy skip - along with all the notes. Oops!

The odd thing was that while I was quite happy working for them - decent kit, no hassle and friendly drivers - other guys on the same agency didn’t want to go there at all.

Horses for courses I suppose mate, if you are happy with the work/people/wage/condition/truck etc etc then you might be happy to work for a firm. The next guy might not like the work or staff or any other reasons. Good that you found something that suits you mate.
Tommy.

An agency that does not give the driver the whole truth … hmmm … seems familiar :unamused:

ROG:
An agency that does not give the driver the whole truth … hmmm … seems familiar :unamused:

What do Agency desk staff and politicians have in common ?
They’re both economical with the truth :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

blue estate:

ROG:

That seems more like a documented fact than a joke… lol

TommyTanker:

blue estate:

ROG:

Oh yes very much so :wink:
I got my full time job at a company I’d been working through an Agency with ,now been there FT 2 years and they’re paying for my C+E

Good luck to you mate. I hope it works out smoothly for you.

slowlane:
Good luck to you mate. I hope it works out smoothly for you.

Cheers SL.

blue estate:

TommyTanker:

blue estate:

ROG:

I got my full time job at a company I’d been working through an Agency with ,now been there FT 2 years and they’re paying for my C+E

It took 2 years for them to offer ?

ROG:

This is an agency that Wren has presumably paid to find suitable candidates to send for interviews, not the type that rings at 6am asking for you to start work at 06:01, maybe they are one in the same though. :laughing:

TommyTanker:

TommyTanker:

blue estate:

ROG:

[/quote]
No for me to ask :blush:

[/quote]
[/quote]
No for me to ask :blush:
[/quote]
Ah, fair enough, were they good enough to oblige you off the bat?
Tommy.

Really hope the TM is a person of their word and not only trying to keep you till Christmas rush is over.

dox:
Really hope the TM is a person of their word and not only trying to keep you till Christmas rush is over.

Yeah this was my thought too…

TommyTanker:
Anyway, time will tell if I have made the right decision, and if not, I had a call from an agency yesterday who I explained the situation to and said if it falls apart after x mas to contact him because his books are full in the new year! Win win I guess.

Your very trusting. :open_mouth:

toonsy:

dox:

Yeah this was my thought too…

I did think the same, but I didn’t really want the job with Wren, I was taking it because it was a job. I can find other work after x mas if needs be, but the firm has only got 6 FT drivers and use agency for everything else, all the time. He said they want 6 more out of the 16 agency that are there at the moment. I would like a FT job there, it is a good firm and they are big too. the work is there and they must employ more staff. as long as I keep my nose clean I think I will be okay. Time will tell.
Tommy.