Wick

Just been up that far for the first time, quite enjoyed it tbh, the Berriedale Braes in the dark and wet at full weight are fun :smiley:

We had a job on up there ,obviously the 6 legger was no problem :laughing: but the semi low stgo lost traction and the 8 legger Foden pulled him up as they luckily ran up together.

One of our lads towed his bollox off going up there in an empty artic with a moffet on the back. Said it was like doing burn outs in a car how much the tyres were struggling to get grip :laughing:

Any sign of the northern lights? last time I went there was a really good display in the skies!

The last hairpin is the worst , im sure theres a knack to it if you use it daily but you put the power on to take you up and around and end up going straight on towards the barrier, all this in a bloody MAN which has a tempremental gearbox at the best of times

chaversdad:
The last hairpin is the worst , im sure theres a knack to it if you use it daily but you put the power on to take you up and around and end up going straight on towards the barrier, all this in a bloody MAN which has a tempremental gearbox at the best of times

put it in manual and select a gear and dont change till you feel it will take it

Go up it in the same gear that you would come down, nice an slow to ■■■■ the car drivers off … :wink:

Thats all well and good but it was pitch black and i was half way round it before i knew where i was :laughing:

chaversdad:
Thats all well and good but it was pitch black and i was half way round it before i knew where i was :laughing:

The Berries do get a bit daunting the first time … :slight_smile:

raymundo:

chaversdad:

The Berries do get a bit daunting the first time … :slight_smile:

great fun in the snow

A bit like the bank at Saltburn in Cleveland I guess.

Ken.

Quinny:
A bit like the bank at Saltburn in Cleveland I guess.

Ken.

Got to disagree there Ken, i live 20 minutes from Saltburn and the Braes are in a different league

Do it while you still can, the hairpin bend is to be realigned to a wider curve, with work starting next year.

Here’s an aerial photo from someone on Facebook.

I can fully believe that the Braes can be daunting the first time – especially if it’s night and wet and you can’t see!

On the bright side, it sounds like you had a clear road: I go up and down the Braes an average of 3 - 4 times a week and still find that the biggest problem is the muppets in cars. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been heading north only to get half way around the bend only to get looks of shock/abuse from the muppet in the car who wants to know why i’m on his side of the road!

Then they invariably want/expect YOU to reverse/hill start!

Sigh. :smiley: :smiley: