I think I've found the answer to bridge strikes

So get back tonight and as I’m on holiday next week they ask me to due a test on bridges , there multi answer question , so three I got wrong ( well I don’t think I have but they say I have
1/ if you collected a tri that was marked up as 11 ft 8 what would you set the height marker in cab to

1. 11 ft 8
  2. 15 ft 3
  3. 16 ft 4 ?
    Well I put I’d set it to 13 ft 9 as my cab height is 13 ft 6 + 3 inch for safety
    2/ basically same question but customers tri marked up at 12 ft 6
    Again I answered I’d set it to 13 ft 9
    3 if the tri you were picking up had no height marked on it what would you do
  4. Guess
  5. Think it was ask
  6. Defect it , refuse to take it out , report it to t.o
    I put I’d get my measuring stick out and measure the height
    Well according to bloke who gave me test to do ive got them all wrong :exclamation:
  7. You’d set the height marker to 11ft 8 ( I couldn’t believe my ears ) , according to him the height marker in cab is for tri height , not unit , I said bloody joking , the height marker should be set to he maximum height of truck / tri combination , it’s a recipe for bloody disaster , and if that’s what your teaching it’s no wonder the company trucks are hitting bridges left right and centre
    2 . As above , he records tri height
    3 he say you should defect tri , not taking it out , and report it to t.o , but why I can measure the bloody thing I’ve a measuring stick , yes you have but there’s 2,000 other drivers who haven’t , well then tell them to use a tape measure , and then he says but you could measure the height wrong
    So according to him ive failed , I may well have to go on a retraining course , I said to him I think it’s you who needs to go on one , your talking utter garbage
    To be honest I’m stunned , he’s not got a clue , the bloke who did the questions hasn’t got a clue
    I just can’t believe you set the cab height marker to 11 ft 8 if your units 13 ft 9 ,who defect a tri because it’s not got the height marked on it , I’ve had 1,000, s over years like that , you just measure the things , surely , he did admit when questioned that he’d never drove a bloody truck in his life
    It’s no wonder there hitting bridges we’ve got the blind leading the blind
    K

The point about setting the indicator based only on the trailer height is absurd. It is the highest part of the entire vehicle profile which is the relevant measure.

But I agree with the point about defecting any trailer not marked with its height, because according to most company policies that is a defect which must be remedied.

The fact that you have a tape measure handy is immaterial to whether the trailer has a defect. Just as it would be immaterial to a slow puncture that you had a tyre inflater, or immaterial to a blown bulb that you had a working spare which you intended to remove again at the end of your journey.

Rjan:
The point about setting the indicator based only on the trailer height is absurd. It is the highest part of the entire vehicle profile which is the relevant measure.

But I agree with the point about defecting any trailer not marked with its height, because according to most company policies that is a defect which must be remedied.

The fact that you have a tape measure handy is immaterial to whether the trailer has a defect. Just as it would be immaterial to a slow puncture that you had a tyre inflater, or immaterial to a blown bulb that you had a working spare which you intended to remove again at the end of your journey.

Yep, if we weren’t responding to the worlds biggest troll I’d answer this too.

But considering that it’s a dozy post I’ll answer…

1. I like ■■■■■
  2. I hate brussel sprouts
  3. Terracotta

Reef:

Rjan:

1. I like ■■■■■
  3. Terracotta

Why post an answer like this? Just pathetic you silly old sod.

UKtramp:

Reef:

Rjan:

1. I like ■■■■■
  3. Terracotta

Pretty sure I already covered that in my post.

Reef:

UKtramp:

Reef:

Rjan:

1. I like ■■■■■
  3. Terracotta

Pretty sure I already covered that in my post.

Why answer someone who is putting a good post on that affects all drivers, your response is that he is a troll and answer him by just insulting. Your’e not a very nice person at all. I always think before I answer anyone, if it is just an insult I wouldn’t bother to reply. It is obvious from your answer that it was completely pointless and hurtful towards dozy.

4M max height would erradicate most of the bridge demolition in the UK. Anything taller inc the ridiculous and unaerodynamic double deckers are just not needed. Until the UK govt revamps regs it’ll continue to happen. A height sensor linked to the brakes could also help the more brainless drivers…

I think you consume too much alcohol on the weekends Trampy, you’ll not get a rise out of me no matter how hard you might try, and it’s not the first time you’ve tried (and failed).

Ta.

thats me pretty much seen it all a driver lose it, dozy make sense and UKT stick up for a driver my exmas is early

You did get back then dozy? Did they change your run or was that the same run you thought you wouldn’t get from?

So by this guys theory if your pulling a flat bed and your unit is approaching 14ft then you should set your height of the flat? Hmmmm I wonder what dvsa would think if they pulled you and found that. He sounds like a prized tool to me who has been sent on a mission by management to reduce bridge strikes but doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about.

AndrewG:
4M max height would erradicate most of the bridge demolition in the UK. Anything taller inc the ridiculous and unaerodynamic double deckers are just not needed. Until the UK govt revamps regs it’ll continue to happen. A height sensor linked to the brakes could also help the more brainless drivers…

Every time this is said I’ll say the same thing. I pull 15’10 and 16ft trailers all over including in London and I’ve not hit a bridge. This is not needed. The high trailers are fine.

AndrewG:

Andrew, a simple Google search will show up many, many bridge strikes on the continent. How can this be possible, seeing as there are no trailers over 4 meters high on the continent?

Why answer someone who is putting a good post on that affects all drivers, your response is that he is a troll and answer him by just insulting. Your’e not a very nice person at all. I always think before I answer anyone, if it is just an insult I wouldn’t bother to reply. It is obvious from your answer that it was completely pointless and hurtful towards dozy.

You think that was hurtful UKtramp? You’ve lived a sheltred life.

Btw, who are you pretending to work for this week?

the nodding donkey:

You think that was hurtful UKtramp? You’ve lived a sheltred life.

Btw, who are you pretending to work for this week?

Still with Stobart for the time been donkey. You still with the clowns outfit that I left?

Some of the trainers that get appointed at these big companies are a bloody menace.

You are spot on Dozy, the lowest your height indicator should read is the height of your tractor unit, it should only be altered if the trailer is higher and left bloody well alone otherwise.

Enjoy the retraining mate, nice little skive for a few hours, tell 'em what they want to hear, then bugger off and do what anyone with an ounce of sense would do and carry on as before, if they have that much money to waste to allow someone like that carte blanche they deserve the inevitable results.

I think I’ve found the answer…magnets!!! Fit magnets to bridges and trailers and we all know magnets can attract or repel each other. Get too close to the underside of a bridge and the magnets push the trailer away! We just need to make sure the fitters attach the magnets in the correct orientation…not difficult is it…? :slight_smile:

Reef:
I think you consume too much alcohol on the weekends Trampy, you’ll not get a rise out of me no matter how hard you might try, and it’s not the first time you’ve tried (and failed).

Ta.

He might have sore wrists trying

the nodding donkey:

AndrewG:

Andrew, a simple Google search will show up many, many bridge strikes on the continent. How can this be possible, seeing as there are no trailers over 4 meters high on the continent?

Im not saying it will erradicate it completely ND just reduce it but quite significantly i think…

Rowley010:

AndrewG:

Every time this is said I’ll say the same thing. I pull 15’10 and 16ft trailers all over including in London and I’ve not hit a bridge. This is not needed. The high trailers are fine.

Youve obviously got the savvy not to demolish bridges Rowley but there are many who dont. The drag on these tall trailers is huge. Not so bad doing local work but anything distance and they push fuel consumption up dramatically compared to an aerodynamic outfit. Cubic capacity is still achievable with drawbar outfits with low suspension/ smaller diameter wheels/ low profile tyres and the likes of MAN’s canted under floor engines…

Sat here reading the responses.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk