Snapped by camera van in Scotland

Got a letter today with my details asking to confirm I was driving the vehicle.

States camera recorded a speed of 54mph on a single carriageway national speed 40mph limit.

Given this is in Scotland and it was an artic, I’m wondering what the potential consequences may be?

Also, incident took place on 28th September and letter only arrived today. Would it be worthwhile tracing back via company fleet department and then in turn vehicle hirer to find out when the initial NIP was dated or just face the inevitable?

I believe the timeframe for being served notice is extended when it’s a hire/fleet vehicle

The time frame for receiving the NIP only applies to the registered keeper not the person who was driving.
Points, sizable fine and suspension of HGV entitlement.
Admit it in hope of some mercy.
No point denying as the camera will have captured your face and of course your card will have been in.

54 in a 40?..

Hold yer hands up, take the points and fine.

Almost certain you’re going to be getting a court summons. At a minimum you’re going to be getting a hefty fine, points and a suspension. I don’t know what you could use as mitigation, you’ve just made a mistake and need to admit & deal with the consequences.

ItsJoe:
Almost certain you’re going to be getting a court summons. At a minimum you’re going to be getting a hefty fine, points and a suspension. I don’t know what you could use as mitigation, you’ve just made a mistake and need to admit & deal with the consequences.

Dangleberries. For the above.

Just fill out the noips send it back, be 3 points and a fine,.

Last time I was caught speeding on the A75 £60 and 3 points for 53mph in a 40mph, so chances of going to court are slim especially as you were caught on camera rather than by a copper.

£100 fine and 3 points for doing 56 on the A9 north of Inverness so as said before just send back the NIP and you should be ok

Exceeding the speed limit by 10 miles will always get you a court summons when driving a goods vehicle professionally. The culpability is much higher than in a car. I suggest OP consults an actual solicitor instead of armchair ones.

ItsJoe:
Exceeding the speed limit by 10 miles will always get you a court summons when driving a goods vehicle professionally. The culpability is much higher than in a car. I suggest OP consults an actual solicitor instead of armchair ones.

No it won’t you have two examples where people have put their speed and punishment and neither of us has gone to court, over the years have been done for speeding 3 times on the A75 each time was 10mph over the limit £60 and 3 points on each occassion

Sadly for the OP, there is no offer of a speed awareness course north of the border.

ItsJoe:

absolutely bull ■■■■, maybe the case south of the border but up here in civilisedsociety the police actually have a brain, in fact thw officer in question even told me that if I had been doing 50 they wouldn’t have bothered me but 56 was taking the ■■■■ a bit,

Speed limit 40

You were doing 56 :open_mouth:

Pay up and shut up ! And don’t do it again ! :unamused:

Numpty :exclamation: :exclamation:

Whilst the Speeding fines have changed in England and Wales as of April 2017 they haven’t changed in Scotland, I think this is where some are getting confused regarding the court appearances.

You will be lucky that your not invited to tea and biscuits.

Ken.

How would it stand if you did go to court in Scotland and they argued it was irresponsible to drive at 50 mph on a single carriageway? Surely the fact its legal in England and Wales throws the dangerous /careless driving argument out the window, i probably havent put that across very well but you get what i mean

No bunny’s or fluffy animals were harmed during this event so you be fine, points made.

Mazzer2:

ItsJoe:

No it won’t you have two examples where people have put their speed and punishment and neither of us has gone to court, over the years have been done for speeding 3 times on the A75 each time was 10mph over the limit £60 and 3 points on each occassion

That isn’t something I#d be broadcasting myself…

Going by some on here mentioning a court summons, could be a lifetime driving ban and 20 years breaking rocks…its just 14mph over the limit ffs… no puppies killed or kittens squashed, hardly crime of the century… :unamused:

TommyTanker:

Mazzer2:

ItsJoe:

That isn’t something I#d be broadcasting myself…

3 times over 20 years hardly puts me in Fred West’s league of criminality