M20 Super services binned

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-42002776

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

This was never going to happen .
As for Manston the shenanigans happening over that place smell as fishy as Grimsby slappers knickers .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

If in doubt, order another enquiry and make loads and loads of promises about how seriously the problem is being taken. Meanwhile do NOTHING, because any decision will upset someone.
Kick the can down the road just a wee bit longer…

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

It seems obvious that trying to create more parking to deal with ferry disruption and under capacity at Dover is all about trying to fix the symptoms not the cause.

When the obvious conclusion is that people rightly prefer to use ferries than the tunnel.

While the Dover-Calais service and Channel Tunnel are being subjected to disproportionate demand regardless.

In which case the way to fix it is to reintroduce more alternative North Sea crossings especially development of more Hull based services to avoid traffic from/to the North unnecessarily using Dover.Together with the reintroduction of more alternative crossings from Dover to Belgium such as the old Zeebrugge and Ostende services.

The problem as it stands being the conflict of interest in the ferry operators wanting an under capacity situation.As opposed to those of us living in the South East not wanting our place turned into a bleedin great big truck park to deal with the results. :imp: :unamused:

Franglais:
If in doubt, order another enquiry and make loads and loads of promises about how seriously the problem is being taken. Meanwhile do NOTHING, because any decision will upset someone.

I have history on this subject .
Kent County Council knew of this problem over 30 yrs ago .
Before the Tunnel and before the M20 was completed.
They recommended the building of 5 truck parks in the county each holding 250 trucks . These were going to be County Council built and paid for by the parking fees .
The result ?
Nothing .
A truck stop / services was built at Folkestone, Stop 24 .
This was built as a customs clearance point hence the secure parking area the rest was just a bonus .
If anything the local authorities have gone out of their way to make parking in the county more difficult.
They have closed many laybys and imposed parking bans in more and more areas .
Come Brexit, the need to sort something out needs to be done with some urgency just to cope with customs clearance.

Just looking at that picture…what a ■■■■■■ mess… :frowning:

grumpyken52:
This was never going to happen .
As for Manston the shenanigans happening over that place smell as fishy as Grimsby slappers knickers .
Mansion will never happen it’s an hour out or the way from the train or Dover

grumpyken52:

Franglais:

They recommended the building of 5 truck parks in the county each holding 250 trucks . These were going to be County Council built and paid for by the parking fees .
The result ?
Nothing .
This was built as a customs clearance point hence the secure parking area the rest was just a bonus .
If anything the local authorities have gone out of their way to make parking in the county more difficult.
Come Brexit, the need to sort something out needs to be done with some urgency just to cope with customs clearance.

Really! They closed many lay-bys and bans in many more areas . They shut 3 mankey leybys down or stopped over nite parking in them and are enforcing the no parking on a cpl of industrial parks close to a truckstop which have been ticketed for years without success where poor parking has been causing problems for the businesses for years

^^^^ those businesses who are having problems on industrial estates caused by lorry parking, would they be the same businesses who rely exclusively on lorries to bring their raw materials in or take their finished product away but expect the means of conveyance to miraculously vanish into thin air once their dealings with them are concluded?

BUT, according to our beloved transport minister Chris Grayling…there was a problem with the application…SO they are drawing up new battle plans, and will submit them early in the new year, so i dont think its all over till the lady sings…or whatever the saying is. :smiley: The residents whose property backs onto the proposed parking, have complained, some have been offered a compulsory buy out, and agreed to be bought out so i hope a conclusion can be forthcoming and we get a decent parking area…laybys have never been any good for parking in the first place, so its right that overnighting is not ideal, and driver are forced to park where there are services available. This should have been thought out years ago, when we welcomed the EE countries to join the club…our government couldnt even guess how many foot passengers would arrive, let alone how many trucks, and there are now 2.7 million of them, and a few more countries getting ready to join which will add to our woes.

chester1:

grumpyken52:

Franglais:

The result ?
Nothing .

Really! They closed many lay-bys and bans in many more areas . They shut 3 mankey leybys down or stopped over nite parking in them and are enforcing the no parking on a cpl of industrial parks close to a truckstop which have been ticketed for years without success where poor parking has been causing problems for the businesses for years

Thats just in Ashford , have a look around the county and many laybys have been closed off , most industrial estates have had parking restrictions placed on them .
The situation is not helped by many trucks not wanting to park in the Calais area and wait until they get into the UK to have a daily rest break .

Carryfast:
It seems obvious that trying to create more parking to deal with ferry disruption and under capacity at Dover is all about trying to fix the symptoms not the cause.

When the obvious conclusion is that people rightly prefer to use ferries than the tunnel.

While the Dover-Calais service and Channel Tunnel are being subjected to disproportionate demand regardless.

In which case the way to fix it is to reintroduce more alternative North Sea crossings especially development of more Hull based services to avoid traffic from/to the North unnecessarily using Dover.Together with the reintroduction of more alternative crossings from Dover to Belgium such as the old Zeebrugge and Ostende services.

The problem as it stands being the conflict of interest in the ferry operators wanting an under capacity situation.As opposed to those of us living in the South East not wanting our place turned into a bleedin great big truck park to deal with the results. :imp: :unamused:

IIRC, the last really bad problem was a mixture of ferry problems and tunnel problems, primarily as a result of migrant activity. If people were loathe to use the tunnel then they wouldn’t have plans to increase the number of journeys per hour. If we are running Dover Calais, then we use the tunnel over a ferry every time. Yes, it’s more expensive but no desperately so and it’s faster - certainly the drivers prefer it to hanging around waiting for the next ferry, then spending a few hours bobbing on the waves.

albion:

Carryfast:

IIRC, the last really bad problem was a mixture of ferry problems and tunnel problems, primarily as a result of migrant activity. If people were loathe to use the tunnel then they wouldn’t have plans to increase the number of journeys per hour. If we are running Dover Calais, then we use the tunnel over a ferry every time. Yes, it’s more expensive but no desperately so and it’s faster - certainly the drivers prefer it to hanging around waiting for the next ferry, then spending a few hours bobbing on the waves.

It would probably be fair to say that the tunnel actually caused some of the situation in which ferry operators cut capacity thereby resulting in the present mess.As for preference there’s no way that you’d get me stuck in that hole in the ground I’m happy bobbing about on the waves thanks.

Which leaves the question how much more traffic would use the ferries if capacity was increased to previous levels.Also don’t remember all this aggro and plans to turn Kent into a truck park before the ferry operators cut those alternative routes.Nor can it make any sense to drive a truck between the North of England and Kent thereby using loads of unnecessary fuel and loading up of the South East road infrastructure requirement when ferry operations from/to Hull could be expanded.

worldmaritimenews.com/archives/1 … icles-run/