Traffic lights

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … trial.html

To ease congestion let’s use traffic lights and stop start the traffic causing queues to be even longer. They really work oh so well on slip roads that have them as part time signals during peak hours.

Not to mention they usually let about 3 cars through and then change again. Next they will be putting red light cameras on them.

So here we go. EXPERTS who study this and have hard drives full of traffic data have identified this as a way to help ease congestion. But wait for it, all the truck net U.K. experts will now be here with an opinion with absolutely no training or data to back it up…

And go!

Erm, yeah these are presumably the same experts who program the smart motorway automated speed limits system and we know how wonderful those are.

If its like those other traffic light controlled entrances onto motorways, all they do is cause bunching of traffic and jams instead of letting it free flow.

There you go - only qualification is driving motorways when these experts were still in short pants. :smiley:

trevHCS:
Erm, yeah these are presumably the same experts who program the smart motorway automated speed limits system and we know how wonderful those are.

If its like those other traffic light controlled entrances onto motorways, all they do is cause bunching of traffic and jams instead of letting it free flow.

There you go - only qualification is driving motorways when these experts were still in short pants. :smiley:

The smart motorways have the potential to work when people use them correctly. Hard shoulder can be a lane and people come up to slip road and try to immediately get into lane1 rather than stay in the open lane they are in. That just causes more congestion.

Rowley010:
EXPERTS who study this and have hard drives full of traffic data have identified this as a way to help ease congestion.

More like politicised Green Party crusaders masquerading as government ‘advisors’ lying to impose their real agenda of making road use as unattractive as possible and force more people and goods onto rail. :unamused:

A motorway without any hills would help (I jest)

For more years than I wish to remember there is a jam south bound on the 1 at junc 11 as a large number of motorists start to go up the hill & it is not until they are half way up that the cogs start whirring to let them know why that lorry they passed just prior is now up alongside them.
The cogs now engaged tells their foot to press the throttle a little more to get back to the speed they were at before, and repeat this god knows how many times & those who’s brains work at normal speed are looking to get around the car that has suddenly slowed.
Meanwhile 500 yds further back drivers are slowing even faster ETC ETC + increased flow = standing traffic.

Why did you stop me officer ?
{well as we are on a straight motorway with very light traffic I was wondering why you felt the need to briefly brake in the middle lane ?}
I did ?
{yes you did & as you have no knowledge of the fact there is a high chance that you are incapable of maintaining a constant speed when conditions allow}
I can tell you that I passed my test with flying colours !
{sorry but that has little relevance on a motorway & as you not the slightest clue what I am talking about your right to travel on these type of roads has been revoked until you take an additional motorway test, I will ■■■■■■ you to the next exit}

Yes I know. (dream on)

simcor:
To ease congestion let’s use traffic lights and stop start the traffic causing queues to be even longer. They really work oh so well on slip roads that have them as part time signals during peak hours.

Not to mention they usually let about 3 cars through and then change again. Next they will be putting red light cameras on them.

They already have. In the roadworks area at the M6/M62 interchange. There are traffic light cameras on the slip road linking the M6 south to the M62 east bound. Passed them the other day.

truckertart:

simcor:

They already have. In the roadworks area at the M6/M62 interchange. There are traffic light cameras on the slip road linking the M6 south to the M62 east bound. Passed them the other day.

Does not surprise me in the slightest.

It’s strange that most of these people that cannot maintain a steady speed never use their cruise control.
So much less stress just cruising .

grumpyken52:
It’s strange that most of these people that cannot maintain a steady speed never use their cruise control.

I was coming back to Warrington today from Birmingham and just after I had fuelled up at Keele (slowest diesel pump in England :unamused: ), I was in lane 1 doing around 48 in the roadworks.

I was aware of an 18 tonner speeding up & then braking next to me in lane 2. Next minute the ■■■ almost takes my mirrors off, he then ends up alongside me and as I glance over, the moron is texting away :imp:

I wouldn’t mind, but we had just not long passed a Class 1 car transporter and a car with it’s offside ’ modified ’ :laughing:, fortunately they had found a gap in the roadworks to pull into to exchange details and cross words. (Still slowed the traffic though because of sad prick rubber neckers who have a bloody big nose :unamused: ).

The North West is one huge waste of time to navigate these days :neutral_face:

why can’t they just admit they are fighting a losing battle,bloody traffic lights on a motorway,they are getting desperate,ridiculous idea.

Dodgy Permit:
A motorway without any hills would help (I jest)

For more years than I wish to remember there is a jam south bound on the 1 at junc 11 as a large number of motorists start to go up the hill & it is not until they are half way up that the cogs start whirring to let them know why that lorry they passed just prior is now up alongside them.
The cogs now engaged tells their foot to press the throttle a little more to get back to the speed they were at before, and repeat this god knows how many times & those who’s brains work at normal speed are looking to get around the car that has suddenly slowed.
Meanwhile 500 yds further back drivers are slowing even faster ETC ETC + increased flow = standing traffic.

Why did you stop me officer ?
{well as we are on a straight motorway with very light traffic I was wondering why you felt the need to briefly brake in the middle lane ?}
I did ?
{yes you did & as you have no knowledge of the fact there is a high chance that you are incapable of maintaining a constant speed when conditions allow}
I can tell you that I passed my test with flying colours

Ironically I had the misfortune to use a hire car for a trip to the Classic Car Show at the NEC last Friday.I couldn’t believe the diabolical driving charactersistics of the thing.Being one of the new generation of small capacity turbocharged engines which brought new meaning to the word lag combined with non existent throttle control to match.In which the subtle throttle modulations to adjust and maintain speed,which work perfectly in the case of an NA 1.8,created a situation of silly off boost slowing followed by equally silly on boost acceleration. :open_mouth: While even a 2.0 litre diesel reputedly isn’t much better.While cruise control obviously won’t work in the case of anything except ideal road/traffic conditions and certainly no good for mid morning on the Southern end of the M40 and the twisties and towns using the A roads between Banbury and the NEC.

IE I now realise that it might not all be an issue of zb drivers.But more often zb car design based on too much reliance on turbocharging and cheap and nasty electronics corrupting fly by wire throttle controls all to meet eco requirements. :bulb:

Excellent idea for the UK, bring the whole road network down, keep it up highways agency… :stuck_out_tongue:

grumpyken52:

It is. I regularly used the cruise control in the lorry but my car hasn’t got one and I miss it.

grumpyken52:

Tbh even cheap newer cars mostly have cruise control as standard these days. But as said people don’t pay attention and drift of into their own little world and don’t check they are maintaining a steady speed.