MURFITTS

What happened to them and theirs then ? Haven’t seem them around for ages now.

there all in carisio pi…ed :smiley:

stevejones:
there all in carisio pi…ed :smiley:

Well they wouldn’t be in Le Pub at Bourg-en-Bresse as they were banned and with Carisio now closed down they wouldn’t be there.
They ceased trading about 15 years ago.

Most of them went to MTC (Megatrucking/Ewals Cc)
All Poles and Romanians now from the Zeebrugge depot, so aint got a clue.

I remember parking up in Carisio one weekend probably around 2000/2001 when one of Murfitts or it could’ve been Quickfreight (who bought some of their trucks) pulled up at the side of me.
I had to have a double take as the driver, a big bruiser with a big nose and cauliflower ears was sat at the wheel painting his finger nails, he got out and he was wearing high heels, pink tights and a pink halter neck top…Step up Spanish Bob!
I wonder if he’s still alive?

He was an ex boxer, now I’m not sure whether he was into turd burgling or whether he used to just get dressed up as a women to amuse himself and see who was daft enough to challenge him.
Used to see him regularly after that weekended in Italy.

Most of them married the waitresses at the BP truck stop at Saint Andre de Cubzac , north of Bordeaux.
They got jobs in France.
They had a reputation for fighting all over Europe.
Their own rigid drivers clashing with artic drivers.
Rikki used to work for them.

I seem to recall DFDS took them over a few years back

Grumpy_old_trucker:
I remember parking up in Carisio one weekend probably around 2000/2001 when one of Murfitts or it could’ve been Quickfreight (who bought some of their trucks) pulled up at the side of me.
I had to have a double take as the driver, a big bruiser with a big nose and cauliflower ears was sat at the wheel painting his finger nails, he got out and he was wearing high heels, pink tights and a pink halter neck top…Step up Spanish Bob!

He was an ex boxer, now I’m not sure whether he was into turd burgling or whether he used to just get dressed up as a women to amuse himself and see who was daft enough to challenge him.

He was one of the MTC guys I was on about.
I was with 2 other MTCs (may also have been ex Muppets) known as Spud and Geordie.
Bob was dressed in his normal work gear with a pink hat and lipstick :open_mouth: (first time I saw him) we were all sat in bar, Spud got up to get a round in, Geordie went to the bog, left me sat there with him, a couple of guys I knew kept looking over at us and making remarks to each other :blush: .
Spud and Geordie had only ■■■■ ed off in next bar for a laugh and left me sat there with him. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

robroy:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

He was one of the MTC guys I was on about.
I was with 2 other MTCs (may also have been ex Muppets) known as Spud and Geordie.
Bob was dressed in his normal work gear with a pink hat and lipstick :open_mouth: (first time I saw him) we were all sat in bar, Spud got up to get a round in, Geordie went to the bog, left me sat there with him, a couple of guys I knew kept looking over at us and making remarks to each other :blush: .
Spud and Geordie had only [zb] ed off in next bar for a laugh and left me sat there with him. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Priceless…
Are there less characters around nowadays? Are we getting all rosy tinted about the past, or are things more boring today ?

I’m sure someone told me he had been a sparring partner for some big name boxer, he certainly looked as though he had been.
I remember being at Campo one weekend sat in the pizza restaurant when he came in and everybody in the place stared at him, he was wearing pink fluffy slippers and pink tights and wearing lipstick put on by Hilda Ogden.
Nobody said a word, well they wouldn’t would they?
Never been so embarrassed to be British but when you got to know him he was a really nice fella although very strange.

Grumpy_old_trucker:
I’m sure someone told me he had been a sparring partner for some big name boxer, he certainly looked as though he had been.
I remember being at Campo one weekend sat in the pizza restaurant when he came in and everybody in the place stared at him, he was wearing pink fluffy slippers and pink tights and wearing lipstick put on by Hilda Ogden.
Nobody said a word, well they wouldn’t would they?
Never been so embarrassed to be British but when you got to know him he was a really nice fella although very strange.

There was one driver on for Sheddicks/Dentrssangle who wore a long blonde wig etc. Always had a cabin alone. Didn`t share with either males or females.

Franglais:
There was one driver on for Sheddicks/Dentrssangle who wore a long blonde wig etc. Always had a cabin alone. Didn`t share with either males or females.

Sheddicks, now there’s a name from the past.
Were they the 1st of the British hauliers that Dentrasangle got his grubby French hands on or was ACH the first to go?

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Franglais:

Sheddicks, now there’s a name from the past.
Were they the 1st of the British hauliers that Dentrasangle got his grubby French hands on or was ACH the first to go?

Early 90s both of them wasnt it? Not sure who was first.

As far as I know or understand, Murfitts upset the eastern traffic commissioners and Norfolk line took them over, then they got in trouble as well cos the commissioner said the murfitts were out of control. So Norfolk line shut most of it down. Norfolk line then sold out to DFDS.

The murfitts family now own Murfitts industries, recycling tyres. Well I think that’s true :confused:

was down italy 2yrs back on a break from canada went past carisio thought it was still there never used it much in the gd days is that right the pub at bourg closed. my cousin tracy worked 4 murffitts she seemed to like it

elsa Lad:
As far as I know or understand, Murfitts upset the eastern traffic commissioners and Norfolk line took them over, then they got in trouble as well cos the commissioner said the murfitts were out of control. So Norfolk line shut most of it down. Norfolk line then sold out to DFDS.

The murfitts family now own Murfitts industries, recycling tyres. Well I think that’s true :confused:

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … e-year-ban

Is the understatement of the year, bad maintenance, drivers hours, then there was the time riot police were called to Macon, when the muppets bendy drivers and draw bar boys had some disagreement with each other, and all and sundry that were there,
And people moan at the flip flops, now days.

Dfds now have the yard, for doing the McCain chips, don’t know who owns the yard.

elsa Lad:

The murfitts family now own Murfitts industries, recycling tyres. Well I think that’s true

Double post.

Geoffrey Symms never took any prisoners, he knew all the tricks after running his own transport company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggriffin:

elsa Lad:

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … e-year-ban

Is the understatement of the year, bad maintenance, drivers hours, then there was the time riot police were called to Macon, when the muppets bendy drivers and draw bar boys had some disagreement with each other, and all and sundry that were there,
And people moan at the flip flops, now days.

Dfds now have the yard, for doing the McCain chips, don’t know who owns the yard.

I do remember one French driver asking me about Murfitts : "Is it true that theyre all ex-cons given a chance at truck driving?". I assured him that wasnt the case. It seems to have been a rumour doing the rounds at one time, and what`s worrying is it seemed believable to him. Sometimes seemed believable to me too.

Id better say Ive worked with some ex-Muppitts and they`ve been great lads. The bad ones make all the news.

biggriffin:
then there was the time riot police were called to Macon, when the muppets bendy drivers and draw bar boys had some disagreement with each other, and all and sundry that were there,

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: