Notice letter, what would you do?

Evening

Just a lad hand his notice in. Early 20’s, married with kids, very unreliable, but an ok driver when he is in…

Basically it says…

'I have been offered another job from now until Christmas.

I cannot afford to turn this down for the money I am being offered.

It is for an agency so I understand it maybe short term so if possible can I return after Christmas as I have enjoyed my time with you’.

I have said my bit to him, what would you say?

Id let him go and make his short term gain, and if you fill his role by the time he is finished at Royal Mail or some supermarket, he wont get his job back! He is being a bit short sighted unless your wages are crap to start with!

Good luck have fun. If we need you after Xmas we will let you know.

He done the decent thing my last employer didn’t even know that I quit until they saw me in their rivals truck. :grimacing:

Hire someone to take his place, as you would if he was leaving indefinitely.

If, after Christmas, you are looking for a driver and he is the best candidate, by all means take him back. If you have no vacancies or there is a better candidate, then unfortunately he won’t get his job back.

A.

By the sounds of it he’s done you a favour, the balls in your court whether you take him on again after Christmas.

Cheerio is what i would say.

You can get unreliable bods by the trainload, there will never be any shortage of those, up the terms you are paying and attract one who can be relied on.

Leave it to him to realise that the field next door could be a muddy one and not green pasture like he thinks it is

There’s no shortage of unreliable and ok drivers. I wouldn’t hold the position open for him.

If he wants to come back to you lot at Downton’s, he needs his head feeling :unamused:

Tell him if he leaves he’s gone and that’s it.

I suppose if your busiest time is Xmas then hes a gonna. If your job isn’t seasonal and he did a decent job and you are feeling benevolent then you might take him back ( on the worst truck with ■■■■■■■■ run)

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

It sounds like the company he is working for now pays ■■■■■ why do you think he wants to move to get more money
Make sure you frame that it’s the best i ever heard, honest and to the point does that not tell you something

quote ‘‘very unreliable’’
why would anyone want this bod back, he can’t be relied on, anything on the back of his lorry you risk letting your customers down by non delivery, to cover for him no doubt other reliable useful staff members have to pick up the pieces.

Never read the unreliable bit. In my view he’s toast, end of.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Unreliable…probably with a dont care attitude as well. Let him go and dont have him back, theres plenty drivers out there you can actually rely on…

Bye…

Blessing in disguise I say, easier that he leaves than trying to sack him. Just say good luck with it all and do the right thing for yourself, sounds like a gift to me.

Darkside:
Evening

Just a lad hand his notice in. Early 20’s, married with kids, very unreliable, but an ok driver when he is in…

Basically it says…

'I have been offered another job from now until Christmas.

I cannot afford to turn this down for the money I am being offered.

It is for an agency so I understand it maybe short term so if possible can I return after Christmas as I have enjoyed my time with you’.

I have said my bit to him, what would you say?

I think I could only laugh at such an audacious request.

But in cold business terms, if he’s alright as an employee and he’s the devil you know, and it its money alone that is motivating him, then if you still have a vacancy after Christmas what’s the harm in taking him back?

If you replace him purely out of spite of him seeking higher wages, then the new guy you take on may be just as likely to do the same to you next year. Because clearly what is on offer is enough for your current driver to leave even without the promise of returning to you - and it must be a very good offer indeed to make a married man with kids take such a risk of having nothing come January.

In the end, the only way to retain staff is to pay wages that, in the round, match your competitors, and if you can’t then you’re the one who will face a shortage every Christmas rather than your competitors.

stupid mistake on his part,those who have done agency know that after Christmas most agency work goes quiet,if you hire someone who’s better than him then he’s cut his own throat,silly person

Will you miss him? If the answer is yes, you’ll see him in the new year. If the answer is no, make sure the door doesn’t hit him on the way out.

Just out of interest, has he met his contractual obligations regarding notice?