Tramping help

So I have only been tramping for three months now and I still can’t seem to plan to find a good free parking place and now I start a new job soon that won’t pay for parking so lay-bys only so any help would be appreciated…

This is just knowledge that can only be gained through experience. Quiet industrial estates are better than lay-bys in my opinion, so every time you visit one, see if it would be suitable foe overnight parking and if so file it away for the future.

Why in the world would someone anyone work for a company that doesn’t pay for HIS truck to park somewhere with facilities for the driver and safety of the load and truck
Even if you don’t like parking in these places it’s still nice to know you can and its paid for by boss

Your more experienced collegues should be able to help.
Also try google.
Once you build up a repatoire of good parking spots…you’ll never use a truckstop/msa again.
Trust me

My tip,don’t start that new job…

Also worth asking customers.
You might end up with 2 or 3 personal parking spots

Pawuk:
So I have only been tramping for three months now and I still can’t seem to plan to find a good free parking place and now I start a new job soon that won’t pay for parking so lay-bys only so any help would be appreciated…

Download app truck parking Europe.This show plenty and plenty lay by,parking area.

After the slagging Toby got for putting a good ■■■■■■■■■■■■ on here, I would be surprised if anyone else would do now. Good luck with your quest, as Harry said, these things you just log yourself after a while.

xichrisxi:

Yes mine too,if they won’t pay for safe parking and for a driver to have facilities they is a good chance they will be ■■■■ to work for

yorkshire terrier:

xichrisxi:

Yes mine too,if they won’t pay for safe parking and for a driver to have facilities they is a good chance they will be [zb] to work for

In ways I agree but I have slightly more chance to see my family at weekends and the wages are a lot more, hence the move until something else comes along or I have put enough money back for my new motorcycle…

No payment for parking,don`t even think about working for them,parking is more than likely not the only thing they skimp on.

Pawuk:

Here’s an idea, park as often as possible near a camp that you see with big fancy caravans and Transit pick ups, and kids and dogs running around.

Getting your fuel nicked and your load tampered with may help your boss to change his policy on paying for parking.

As said make a note of potential parking places on industrial ests, and retail parks, ask other drivers, and ask on here, some may tell you of somewhere (despite toby’s indiscretions) or at least pm you back.

I don’t know you from Adam mate so no offence, but don’t leave your rubbish and crap when you leave, thus spoiing it for other drivers…I’m sure you won’t, but just saying.
Don’t look for parking on 8 hours 55, give yourself time to look, and don’t be afraid to go off route to park.
Avoid lay bys like Aids, despite what some on here will tell you, look for spots near facilities, cafe, pub meals, or a Maccy Ds for latte and the bog in the morning. :bulb:
Good luck with it mate.

During my time I have managed to build up a good amount of very good places to park and some not so good but will do for when pushing it to the max!! Get acquainted with an experienced driver and it will soon build up!! As mentioned, when on way to and from jobs to have a look about and think, could I park there if I had to!!?

I tend to make notes in my road atlas. Like others have said, if delivering on an estate and it looks good for parking scribble it down.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

There are several good apps for this.
Ive come back to tramping about 3 months ago after a long lay off.
Two apps in particular that i use are invaluable.
Truck parking Europe.
Intruck.
The latter is more for truckstops and usually have to pay. Some charge as little as £5 though…

Also ask work colleagues as well

Nothing ever seems to improve in the UK for truck drivers and over the years from what i read on here if anything its getting worse what with the recent restrictions in kent. UK govt really needs to take a leaf out of the rest of europes catering for drivers, France/ Spain/Germany youre spoilt for choice…

Personally if my employer wasn’t paying for parking I’d be parking in places where diesel theft and or damage to the vehicle or load are MOST likely. I think an employer will soon change their mind when they have stranded vehicles every morning for the sake of a £20 quid parking fee.

But as others have said, industrial estates are far better than lay-bys. When your delivering just have a look for double yellows etc and see if you’d be able to park there after 6pm when most businesses will be closed and just keep a mental note of them all.

robroy:

Pawuk:

Here’s an idea, park as often as possible near a camp that you see with big fancy caravans and Transit pick ups, and kids and dogs running around.

Getting your fuel nicked and your load tampered with may help your boss to change his policy on paying for parking.

As said make a note of potential parking places on industrial ests, and retail parks, ask other drivers, and ask on here, some may tell you of somewhere (despite toby’s indiscretions) or at least pm you back.

I don’t know you from Adam mate so no offence, but don’t leave your rubbish and crap when you leave, thus spoiing it for other drivers…I’m sure you won’t, but just saying.

Don’t look for parking on 8 hours 55, give yourself time to look, and don’t be afraid to go off route to park.
Avoid lay bys like Aids, despite what some on here will tell you, look for spots near facilities, cafe, pub meals, or a Maccy Ds for latte and the bog in the morning. :bulb:
Good luck with it mate.

I wish everyone followed that advice rob.

I had to leave my trailer on site one night and park outside. Next to security was a staff car park which wasn’t occupied by staff between 5pm and 8am (i was parking 7pm until 4am) but it was lit, covered by cctv, and right next to the 24hour security. I asked them if I could park there and he said if it was up to him yes, but he can’t allow it because last time a driver parked there he left all his litter in there and when the bosses came at 8am they instructed security to never let HGV drivers park in there again. So I had to park in a lay-by just outside on the road. That night got my diesel nicked. So yeah, if some business let’s you park somewhere because you’ve run out of time then ALWAYS leave no trace that you’ve been there otherwise you could spoil it for the next driver or for yourself in the future.

^^^^^^^
That’s why I’m selective who I give my own little corners to park to. You tell somebody, they tell their mates and so on and so on, and the next time you go some arse wipe has ■■■■ ed it up for me and everybody else because they have left a load of crap behind, because they are too thick to know better.
Nowadays I only tell the lads who I know will keep their gobs shut, unless it’s about run of the mill parking sites that are well known anyway.