Drivers Health Warning

I was at my brother in laws house last night attending a dinner party, he is a consultant physician at a couple of our hospitals, now you can be sensible about this thread or take the usual ■■■■ but this is a stark warning. You will all have heard that a flue epidemic is going to hit the UK shortly from Asia and Australia. Nothing new here then I hear you say, well he has advised me to pay £7 to get a flue jab even though I am completely fit and healthy probably a lot more than most. He told me this is a real serious strain that will be coming and will knock the best of us over. If you act now and pay to get the flue jab, you have a good chance of getting one as the vaccine will quickly run out. He said that this strain which is definitely on its way is very severe and will kill a fair few. i once fell ill with a severe cold whilst out on the road and had to night out for two nights as I could not drive home, it was no fun. His advice was for any HGV driver to get the jab as if it strikes whilst you are away it will quickly overcome you and render you incapable of driving for weeks. Ignore this warning at your peril.

Not taking the ■■■■ at all: the flu jabs that are available now will be of no use against a new strain of influenza that comes from pigs or birds and is hybridised with a current human flu strain. They are developed to fight viruses that currently exist or at least are known of. The new flu will be deadly precisely because it’s new, and we have no immunity to it, much as was the case with the 1918 flu pandemic. In time a new jab will get developed, but thousands will die first, whether here or anywhere else.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

IndigoJo:
Not taking the ■■■■ at all: the flu jabs that are available now will be of no use against a new strain of influenza that comes from pigs or birds and is hybridised with a current human flu strain. They are developed to fight viruses that currently exist or at least are known of. The new flu will be deadly precisely because it’s new, and we have no immunity to it, much as was the case with the 1918 flu pandemic. In time a new jab will get developed, but thousands will die first, whether here or anywhere else.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I am sorry but my brother in law is a consultant and has advised me to get the jab which he has never done before, this strain is known and the vaccine will help to fight the more serious affects of this strain. It takes six months with current egg-based technology to produce sufficient quantities of vaccine for the annual campaign. You are correct that a vaccine may work in one country but possibly not in another, they had prepared this vaccine which is the best defense we currently have against it. It is fast running out, you have been warned. It will be the worst flue epidemic for 50 years.

To be fair, that’s good advice. A few healthy people have died of the flu here, and the weather is not as cold as the UK.

Some good advice to get the jab.

discoman:
To be fair, that’s good advice. A few healthy people have died of the flu here, and the weather is not as cold as the UK.

Go get it done buddy. Been serious now.

UKtramp:

discoman:

Go get it done buddy. Been serious now.

Been quite lucky, the part of NSW I live it missed us … summer is on its way … not that it feels like it … I have the heater on here lol.

Will get it in may time when autumn starts to kick in,

Most people that say they have had flu never have they just have a really bad cold and label it as such in ten years in healthcare I came across flu twice neither fatal

For once, and don’t bank on it happening again, I have to agree with UKtramp.

I have an autoimmune condition that means my immune system sees me as public enemy No1 and left unchecked will probably kill me with 3 months, it tried once, nearly succeeded, and so now I’m on a lovely mixture of heavy immunosuppressants that mean it now takes me months just to fight off a common cold.
Because of this I had this years flu jab back in September and was warned at the time that because this years expected strain is particularly nasty it may have some unpleasant side effects even though the flu jab is actually a dead virus (I cannot have any live vaccines).

The last few years jabs have made me feel a bit rough for a day or 2, this years knocked me off my feet for a week, i had real flu once many years ago pre-autoimmune condition and that layed me out cold for a week, this was almost as bad. It wasn’t pleasant but better than the alternative of catching the live virus and being dead.

If the vaccine is available to you by paying for it, then get it. If you have a normal immune system it shouldn’t effect you too badly and will give your immune system a good work out and help protect you. As people who move around a lot and come into contact with many others in their job you owe it to yourselves to do what ever you can.

Tgtrucker:
For once, and don’t bank on it happening again, I have to agree with UKtramp.

Well that is a nice opening line to my advice and the thanks I get for the sharing of my knowledge. Thanks for that!! I certainly wouldn’t ever agree with you either, arrogance at its finest.

I’m fortunate enough to receive my flu jab FOC, so a couple of weeks ago I attended my GP surgery for it. Though I still came down with a case of manflu recently which gave me a dry cough & made me sound like a lifelong smoker at 4am

UKtramp:
I was at my brother in laws house last night attending a dinner party, he is a consultant physician at a couple of our hospitals, now you can be sensible about this thread or take the usual ■■■■ but this is a stark warning. You will all have heard that a flue epidemic is going to hit the UK shortly from Asia and Australia. Nothing new here then I hear you say, well he has advised me to pay £7 to get a flue jab even though I am completely fit and healthy probably a lot more than most. He told me this is a real serious strain that will be coming and will knock the best of us over. If you act now and pay to get the flue jab, you have a good chance of getting one as the vaccine will quickly run out. He said that this strain which is definitely on its way is very severe and will kill a fair few. i once fell ill with a severe cold whilst out on the road and had to night out for two nights as I could not drive home, it was no fun. His advice was for any HGV driver to get the jab as if it strikes whilst you are away it will quickly overcome you and render you incapable of driving for weeks. Ignore this warning at your peril.

Now we have a consultant and a fridge macanic is there no end to dozy 2 and his fantasy world
I agree about the flu but give us a break a consultant is your brother
Not a hope in hell

No thanks but I am 25.
Chat with a doctor and he will say you need this jab and that jab because that is there job.
Speak with a pc expert and he will tell you need this updated software.
Both jobs encourage being over precautious because prevention is easiest.c

Also there is always a scare story about a killer flu at least once a year. A survived the bird flu so I think I will survive this.

adam277:
No thanks but I am 25.
Chat with a doctor and he will say you need this jab and that jab because that is there job.

Also there is always a scare story about a killer flu at least once a year. A survived the bird flu so I think I will survive this.

There is always one isn’t there, knows more than a bloody consultant physician. Your in the wrong job pal.

Me,My wife & 9 year old son had ours last month,because of my wife’s illness.

adam277:
No thanks but I am 25.

I have to agree with you normally but, this time people are dying … some in Australia suffered it bad in QLD in particular… £7 is worth eliminating the risk slightly …

7 quid isn’t a lot of money for some piece of mind! I am generally anti vaccine if I am honest, but I had heard something similar and will be being vaccinated this year. I will not be paying for it however due to an ongoing health concern. Thanks for the additional info Tramp.
ATB,
Tommy.

mrcreosote90:
Most people that say they have had flu never have they just have a really bad cold and label it as such in ten years in healthcare I came across flu twice neither fatal

Many years ago, I couldn’t get out of bed for 3 days … due to flu, only bonus was I couldn’t smoke either so gave up win win

Scaremongering!
If the government were convinced it was going to become so serious they would be offering everyone the injection free, they aren’t they’re allowing pharmacies to sell it to the public.
The mere fact that Boots are charging nearly £13 and Asda are charging £5 goes to prove it is nothing more than profiteering by rip off Britain businesses…All with the aid of the government.
Consultant Physician my backside, is he on a backhander from Boots?

Grumpy_old_trucker:
Scaremongering!
If the government were convinced it was going to become so serious they would be offering everyone the injection free, they aren’t they’re allowing pharmacies to sell it to the public.
The mere fact that Boots are charging nearly £13 and Asda are charging £5 goes to prove it is nothing more than profiteering by rip off Britain businesses…All with the aid of the government.
Consultant Physician my backside, is he on a backhander from Boots?

I kid you not, it is solid advice, he told me to get it as this is a serious and the NHS are giving it away for free to the vulnerable, it is up to you if you think it is worth it or not. For me I am happy to pay the £7 fee. This is going to be a bad one and a lot of deaths have occurred from it already, it is not scare mongering it is advisable whilst it is available.

UKtramp:
he told me to get it as this is a serious and the NHS are giving it away for free to the vulnerable

The flu jab has always been free for vulnerable people,I’ve had it for the last 2 years as has my son and wife to protect my wife.