Low Loaders

WHY does a Low Loader have to have a flashing amber beacon/light in use on the trailer, even if it is EMPTY?
Hero lights or what.
Now I stand by for the flack, with me tin helmet on.
DUCK

Totally uneccessary, just a look at me thing … only needed when out of guage, small ■■■■■ springs to mind etc

raymundo:
Totally uneccessary, just a look at me thing … only needed when out of guage, small ■■■■■ springs to mind etc

yep …it a feeling of self importance ,look at me I have beacons and I’m not afraid to use them

What makes me laugh are the rigids that carry mobile homes that you see on the motorways and duals. Loads of flashing light at the front and bugger all at the rear. And before anyone says it, yes I know it’s a warning for those approaching when they’re on single carriageways, but why nothing at the back, especially at night time?

Its normally because they forgot to switch it off. We’ve all done it, no one is perfect etc.
As for ray, the sailor that doesnt even drive trucks but has a strong opinion on just about every aspect of trucking just ■■■■ off will you. You’re boring, no one even replies to your ■■■■■■■■ anymore but here’s your bite!

Or they can’t find the switch, it was a borrowed trailer, in my defence.

After tracing the wire it turned out it was on the under side of the bed, looks like it had been knocked off and just screwed into the timber.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Our low lowers are three meters wide and the back strobes work on sidelights with no separate switch to turn them off same as our crane ballast trailers

The real question is why does it bother you so much?
The King low loaders I’ve pulled have the rear strobes wired to the side lights. There is no off switch.

OllieNotts:
As for ray, the sailor that doesnt even drive trucks but has a strong opinion on just about every aspect of trucking just [zb] off will you. You’re boring, no one even replies to your ■■■■■■■■ anymore but here’s your bite!

Wrong week sweetie ■■? true, I no longer drive trucks but had a fairly wide experience during the 30 odd years that I did ranging from local roping an sheeting to Euro abnormal stuff as far as the Rusian border, but only done a handfull of supermarket trolly dolly stuff so tell me what the real crack is there ■■ but dont know why I’m replying to you prick …

raymundo:

OllieNotts:
As for ray, the sailor that doesnt even drive trucks but has a strong opinion on just about every aspect of trucking just [zb] off will you. You’re boring, no one even replies to your ■■■■■■■■ anymore but here’s your bite!

Wrong week sweetie ■■? true, I no longer drive trucks but had a fairly wide experience during the 30 odd years that I did ranging from local roping an sheeting to Euro abnormal stuff as far as the Rusian border, but only done a handfull of supermarket trolly dolly stuff so tell me what the real crack is there ■■ but dont know why I’m replying to you prick …

[emoji23][emoji684]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pull an old low loader sometimes with the knock out rear wheels right at the back. I leave the beacon on to try and warn other road users as it takes all the road and sometimes a bit more to make some turns!!!

OllieNotts:
Its normally because they forgot to switch it off. We’ve all done it, no one is perfect etc.

Says the guy who slated truck drivers on here for weeks as he was sick of driving trucks and was going to go to college to be an electrician.

I see that worked out for you.

nyk473l:
I pull an old low loader sometimes with the knock out rear wheels right at the back. I leave the beacon on to try and warn other road users as it takes all the road and sometimes a bit more to make some turns!!!

Pointless, more of a distraction than doing any good especially at night. Why does it take all the road by the way?

OllieNotts:

I must be because I always made sure no beacons were flashing unless I was fully loaded. I know what people think about these LOOK AT ME TYPES !!!

Dr Damon:

nyk473l:

Pointless, more of a distraction than doing any good especially at night. Why does it take all the road by the way?

About
30’ long with the wheels right at the back. It has a hell of a cut in!!

spit the dog:
Our low lowers are three meters wide and the back strobes work on sidelights with no separate switch to turn them off same as our crane ballast trailers

The most likely reason for them being on without a load as people have said. Rather than the usual replies of drivers having them on to look cool or have delusions of grandeur.

Obviously there will be some that are switched on and off by the driver and some that leave them on for no reason, and as said sometimes people forget to turn them off.

How many of us have forgotten to turn our work light off etc happens to the best and worst of us at times.

Low loaders are not too bad since the lights are usually well under the line of sight. My pet peeve is the dimwits in a 7½ tonne car carriers with a trailer and a load of look-at-me strobes right up at my eye level.

many proper low loaders ( not step frames with ramps) are well beyond the usual construction and Use length/width/turning circle limitations. They are permitted under C&U regs as exemptions. those that fall in this category will not be able to use lanes in tight areas such as roundabouts in the same manner as normal trailers- they will cut over into other lanes creating an obstruction to other road users. Those with power steer trailers will often on tight turns steer into a lane that is unexpected by those road users who don’t know how they work.

As such they are a hazard to those who expect them to behave like a normal trailer and the use of beacons can be justified.

Some low loaders are not under C&U and under STGO rules alone. these would probably have more than 3 axles at the rear and possibly 2 axles at the front or a dolly. These would exceed C&U length / width. While empty they would not need a movement order as they don’t have an abnormal load, they would still need to take a different line through obstacles or when turning then a normal artic.

Beacons are there to warn other road users that the truck may be wider, longer, slower than usual, OR may take up more road room than would be expected from your average truck.

Just some of the reasons why “Some” low loaders use them empty

scottie0011:

OllieNotts:

Says the guy who slated truck drivers on here for weeks as he was sick of driving trucks and was going to go to college to be an electrician.

Truck driving is pretty ■■■■ still, as are most of the drivers as proved daily on here :grimacing:
I chose to get back in to driving and get paid very well for what i do with little effort :sunglasses:

scottie0011:

OllieNotts:

Probabaly couldn’t tell his ohm from his amp or watt (ever) ■■?