Auto vs Manual

For the last three weeks I have been driving a lovely 20 year old FH12. She’s only a 380 and she’s manual. I have forgotten how much more enjoyable a manual is. Now here’s the thing could autos be cause of a lot of these lorry accidents. I definitely feel more in control of the lorry. I am definitely approaching roundabouts at a safer speed and not relying on brakes (and retarder) alone. No cruise control. You also have to use your brain just that little bit more.

I would probably say I am a bit more tired at the end of the day but I feel like I have driven not just a guardian of the steering wheel.

The one down side is the noise. You take for granted how quiet a modern truck is.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

In my opinion anything that encourages drivers to stop thinking for themselves is likely to lead to an increase in accidents, so yes automatics are likely to be part of the problem.

An I shift box is good enough now that it is something that can be left to the truck to get on with by its self . If your not worrying about what gesr your in you have more time to concentrate on your surroundings and be watching your mirros which should lead to less accidents .

P Stoff:
Now here’s the thing could autos be cause of a lot of these lorry accidents. I definitely feel more in control of the lorry. I am definitely approaching roundabouts at a safer speed and not relying on brakes (and retarder) alone. No cruise control. You also have to use your brain just that little bit more.

You need to learn to drive if that is the case. Maybe the problem isn’t it being an auto rather that you switched your brain off.

tachograph:
In my opinion anything that encourages drivers to stop thinking for themselves is likely to lead to an increase in accidents, so yes automatics are likely to be part of the problem.

Sorry but that is nonsense. They do not stop a driver thinking for themselves and if anything an auto gives a driver MORE time to concentrate on everything else that is going on around them because it removes something they need to think about along with everything else so it should reduce accidents.

I would go with more accidents caused by autos, my reasoning is quite simple.

The old kit had to be “driven” it was unforgiving and infinately more enjoyable than modern trucks when you got it right, remember trying to pull away in the old trucks only for the cab to leap up and down.

What i’m getting at is the old kit sorted out the wheat from the chaff, the job has become so dumbed down and easy that anyone can do it just select D and stamp the pedal down, car driving licence holders at the wheel of 44 thousand kilos.

Also very few drivers understand how a clutch is effected by misuse, sadly the days of manual transmissions have gone forever.

Conor:

tachograph:

Sorry but that is nonsense. They do not stop a driver thinking for themselves and if anything an auto gives a driver MORE time to concentrate on everything else that is going on around them because it removes something they need to think about along with everything else so it should reduce accidents.

If you can’t change gear and concentrate on what’s going on you shouldn’t be driving, thank God you’re off the road.

A.

Conor:

tachograph:

I don’t entirely disagree with what you say, but unfortunately there are plenty of drivers who don’t want to think about what they’re doing they just want to sit back switch off and relax and an automatic vehicle allows and encourages them to do just that.

An automatic won’t necessarily turn a good driver into a bad driver, but it can make a bad or less than competent driver worse and allow them to hide the fact that they’re not particularly competent drivers.

Eaton twin splitter…

Fuller road ranger.

ERFs godonlyknowswhatpatternthisoneleftthefactorywith.

Fodens lean right over and scrape a knuckle or two.

Ford D series nuetral that went from door-to-door gearstick.

Volvo F10/12 ■■■■ sounding air clutch with 16 gears.

I’ve used them all as have many others here. I have to say I prefer the auto box. Even though in heavy traffic, I’d engage second or third with a manual and roll up without braking, I stil prefer two pedals only operation. I don’t feel disengaged from the truck, I feel I have more time to focus on other things (Facebooking,emailing, watching Where Eagles Dare etc)

beefy4605:
An I shift box is good enough now that it is something that can be left to the truck to get on with by its self . If your not worrying about what gesr your in you have more time to concentrate on your surroundings and be watching your mirros which should lead to less accidents .

Why would gear shifting interfere with use of the mirrors and other visual observations ?.While it’s obvious that having to bring a manual,especially constant mesh,box down through the gears will by necessity enforce a controlled and early braking regime on the approach to hazards like roundabouts for example.Resulting in less potential for harsh late braking therefore cooler brakes and less potential for roll overs for example.As opposed to brake at any point on the approach right or wrong and go.Relying on the gearbox will sort out any mismatch in road speeds on the approach v the gear required to pull away.

Although to be fair synchro manual boxes are probably more likely to create that situation than someone using an I shift in manual mode.

What people seem to miss as they dismiss autos is the fact to get the best from them you have to take time to learn how to operate them to full effectivness. A good auto driver in a good auto has every bit as much control as a manual

Carryfast:
therefore cooler brakes and less potential for roll overs for example

Brake fade…

Has nothing to do with rolling a lorry over.

Too much speed on approach, load shift,vehicle component failure (open to argument) and kerb clipping are the main causes.

Do you know anything at all about lorries?

yourhavingalarf:

Carryfast:

Brake fade…

Too much speed on approach, load shift,vehicle component failure (open to argument) and kerb clipping are the main causes.

Not about ones made after 1972, no.

A.

Conor:

P Stoff:
Now here’s the thing could autos be cause of a lot of these lorry accidents. I definitely feel more in control of the lorry. I am definitely approaching roundabouts at a safer speed and not relying on brakes (and retarder) alone. No cruise control. You also have to use your brain just that little bit more.

You need to learn to drive if that is the case. Maybe the problem isn’t it being an auto rather that you switched your brain off.

Why insult somebody. Tiresome

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

switchlogic:
What people seem to miss as they dismiss autos is the fact to get the best from them you have to take time to learn how to operate them to full effectivness. A good auto driver in a good auto has every bit as much control as a manual

Agreed. AFAIK every auto box can be switched to “manual control” at the flick of a button should you find yourself in a situation where you have to out-think the computer.

The one thing I don’t miss about manuals is the aching left hip after a day’s driving round back lanes.

switchlogic:

Agreed. A manual can be enjoyable to drive, just like things as diverse as a Rubik’s cube or an assault course can be enjoyable to some, but for anyone who is simply doing work, or crawling in stop-start traffic, I can’t see why they’d prefer a manual over a decent auto.

That’s not to say I haven’t used crap auto boxes, not just in trucks but also cars, but that doesn’t detract from the principle.

I can drive either, I prefer an auto for their ease of use. I don’t mind a manual for a bit of a change at times, but I do find a manual a pain in the arse in traffic and where you are stopping and starting a lot. I don’t see an advantage of a manual over an auto box, I think it is a personal preference of what you prefer much like some prefer Scania to a Renault. It doesn’t mean you cannot drive anything else. Anyone who can drive a manual car can adapt to a manual box on a lorry. A few gear crunches and a few missed gears during the day and off you go. There will be no doubt that some real driving mechanical experts can drive a manual box better than others and will prefer them, but that is all it is, a preference.

yourhavingalarf:

Carryfast:

Brake fade…

Too much speed on approach

Where did I say they were related.Although they still could possibly be if someone cooks the brakes on the approach. :unamused:

1. Late braking = more braking over a shorter distance = hotter brakes.

‘and’

2 ) Excessive approach/entry speed = more potential for roll over.As you’ve said yourself.

I obviously know at least as much about driving trucks as you do but can also understand written English in the form of the word ‘and’. :unamused:

Adonis.:
If you can’t change gear and concentrate on what’s going on you shouldn’t be driving, thank God you’re off the road.

A.

I’m back on the road again and even after 10 months off I was still ten times better than you on my first day back.

Accidents are not caused by manual or automatic gearboxes.
Accidents are caused by drivers not being in control of their particular vehicle.

Personally I have always preferred manual probably because I grew up with range change, splitters and the famous twin splitter.
I have driven autos as well and some more than others are capable of doing well if the drivers uses the auto correctly.
In my early days you were just given a vehicle and no matter what box was in it the driver had to work it out one way or another.
I feel some drivers are quite capable of this where others just do not have a clue.
Maybe now a days some vehicle training is given or should be?