Gist assessment

So I’ve got an assessment with Gist either this week or next and was hoping someone here could tell me what to expect. I’m being told as I don’t have the 18 months class 1 experience they usually ask for I’ll be out for a little bit longer than usual. Any tips? Thanks in advance

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A512 using Tapatalk

Which depot?

tallant:
So I’ve got an assessment with Gist either this week or next and was hoping someone here could tell me what to expect. I’m being told as I don’t have the 18 months class 1 experience they usually ask for I’ll be out for a little bit longer than usual. Any tips? Thanks in advance

Done Bellshill. You get a written test then a two hour drive. If you pass that they call you in for further Gist fridge assessment. After that your in.

The-Snowman:
Which depot?

Faversham

Sand Fisher:

tallant:

Done Bellshill. You get a written test then a two hour drive. If you pass that they call you in for further Gist fridge assessment. After that your in.

Thanks. Really hoping it all goes OK as I really like the sound of the job and conditions

Three question papers of 18 questions each. One on road signs, one on tacho and driving regs and one on “what to do in x scenario”. No more than three wrong on any single paper. Some of the wrong answers are quite plausible so take your time.

Then coupling and uncoupling, demonstrate your daily checks, demonstrate how to do a manual entry on a Siemens tacho. Then a reverse into a bay (was pretty tight at Bellshill with units parked everywhere.

Then a drive. 2 hours if you’ve had your class 1 over 18 months; 3 hours if you haven’t.

As stated above then your on to “phase 2” which is basically going out double manned and learning the procedures at the sites you’ll be working at.

Just watch the written test. I’ve seen easier ones. There were a one or two questions where, even knowing the rules and having the answer explained, I still thought were pretty harsh (in that there were wrong answers that could be argued were right - e.g maximum driving hours in a day: answer was 9 and 10 was offered as a wrong answer).

Telt:
Three question papers of 18 questions each. One on road signs, one on tacho and driving regs and one on “what to do in x scenario”. No more than three wrong on any single paper. Some of the wrong answers are quite plausible so take your time.

Then coupling and uncoupling, demonstrate your daily checks, demonstrate how to do a manual entry on a Siemens tacho. Then a reverse into a bay (was pretty tight at Bellshill with units parked everywhere.

Then a drive. 2 hours if you’ve had your class 1 over 18 months; 3 hours if you haven’t.

As stated above then your on to “phase 2” which is basically going out double manned and learning the procedures at the sites you’ll be working at.

Just watch the written test. I’ve seen easier ones. There were a one or two questions where, even knowing the rules and having the answer explained, I still thought were pretty harsh (in that there were wrong answers that could be argued were right - e.g maximum driving hours in a day: answer was 9 and 10 was offered as a wrong answer).

Thanks that’s really helpful. Appreciate you taking the time to write all that. So wow, sounds really thorough. Going to refresh myself on regs and the rest of it pretty soon.

Starting to get a bit nervous now!

tallant:

Telt:

Thanks that’s really helpful. Appreciate you taking the time to write all that. So wow, sounds really thorough. Going to refresh myself on regs and the rest of it pretty soon.

No bother mate.

Yeah, it’s as thorough as any I’ve done. Just take your time and you’ll be fine. Mind and check your trailer brake is on before you couple up. Remember there’s no bonus points for doing things quickly!

Telt:

tallant:

Telt:

No bother mate.

Yeah, it’s as thorough as any I’ve done. Just take your time and you’ll be fine. Mind and check your trailer brake is on before you couple up. Remember there’s no bonus points for doing things quickly!

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully it all goes well as I really like the sound of what’s on offer. Will post next week once it’s all said and done

Just out of interest what is on offer if you don’t mind me asking

dont forget to check trailer height and then check its right in cab, Ive had assessments where the trailer and cab height indicator were different, a little test for me to see if I was switched on ,part of the checks I know but it can catch you out as your ready to hit the road and some forget. Good Luck

GMW492:
dont forget to check trailer height and then check its right in cab, Ive had assessments where the trailer and cab height indicator were different, a little test for me to see if I was switched on ,part of the checks I know but it can catch you out as your ready to hit the road and some forget. Good Luck

Thanks for the tip mate will check that!

nightline:

Ah well when I said offer I just meant the shift patterns, type of work etc. Nothing been officially offered I’ve just been told the basics in relations to pay, shifts, benefits etc

nightline:

Bellshill on the Arla contract is £10.23ph basic, £11.23ph after 6pm, £12.23ph Sunday.

Spalding depot…

Where all the sheds (inc trailers) go to die.

harrawaffa:

nightline:

Bellshill on the Arla contract is £10.23ph basic, £11.23ph after 6pm, £12.23ph Sunday.

Nice one thanks

Well thanks for the advice guys passed it all today. Been offered the job was really helpful knowing what to expect

tallant:
Well thanks for the advice guys passed it all today. Been offered the job was really helpful knowing what to expect

Telt:

To be fair, the maximum driving time in a day is 10 hours. It’s not 9 hours, if you read the question incorrect then you will assume 9&10 … if you wrote the maximum daily driving allowed is 9 hours extendable to 10 twice a week would of been acceptable as such as you are demonstrations the rules correctly … but for the answer to be correct 10 hours is the maximum permitted. That is a basic question and if a person cannot answer it well, hmm.

Normally they just check you have a heartbeat and whether your prepared to work for a ■■■■ wage (Spalding)

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk