Overnight lorry parking ban in parts of Kent

Beware if you do nights out in Kent, new rules from tonight and the police are already out and clamping!

another i’ll conceived plan, lets just try to fix the problem, er no just try to get rid of it.

this will catch on around the country.

Hope the good people of Kent don’t mind when the shelves are empty in the weeks before Christmas, nor when the poor sod being forced to run over his hours cos not allowed to stop falls asleep at the wheel and ends up who knows where.

what really annoying is, theres two huge ex~raf fighter stations in kent, suitable for lorry parks, but nimbys don’t want big smelly lorries.

Why don’t we all stay home for a week?

:open_mouth:
Don’t you just love the absolute ■■■■ whits who run this sorry arsed country eh ? :unamused:

Question…How do you deal with an already chronic problem of overnight truck parking, considering all the circumstances of stringent Tacho rules concerning legal rest periods, AND in an area widely used by trucks more than most?

Do they try and add a few more parking spots ?
Or even try to completely solve the problem in a big way?

Answer…No, they add futrther restrictions by closing down many of the very few places available in the area.
Brilliant :unamused: …Pricks of the highest degree. :smiling_imp:

robroy:
:shock:
Don’t you just love the absolute [zb] whits who run this sorry arsed country eh ? :unamused:

Question…How do you deal with an already chronic problem of overnight truck parking, considering all the circumstances of stringent Tacho rules concerning legal rest periods, AND in an area widely used by trucks more than most?

Do they try and add a few more parking spots ?
Or even try to completely solve the problem in a big way?

Answer…No, they add futrther restrictions by closing down many of the very few places available in the area.
Brilliant :unamused: …Pricks of the highest degree. :smiling_imp:

Couldn’t agree more, makes me glad that I don’t drive any more.
Why can’t we follow the German example of good truckstops right near to motorway exits? Been a while since I’ve driven there (2008) but more were appearing year on year…not disappearing like they are here.
Don’t know if the German ‘Autohofs’ are subsidised but they are reasonably priced with good food and facilities etc, I’m sure if it works there then it can work here.

And of course everyone will still deliver to this area, as everyone will now plan deliveries around these restrictions. Wouldn’t it be nice if the hauliers actually refused to go in or only made deliveries on a basis of providing our drivers have the time left to leave the area. No guaranteed deliveries on a given date can now be made. Soon see parking areas amazingly as if by magic open up.

GORDON 50:
Couldn’t agree more, makes me glad that I don’t drive any more.
Why can’t we follow the German example of good truckstops right near to motorway exits? Been a while since I’ve driven there (2008) but more were appearing year on year…not disappearing like they are here.
Don’t know if the German ‘Autohofs’ are subsidised but they are reasonably priced with good food and facilities etc, I’m sure if it works there then it can work here.

The rest of Europe caters for drivers very well. Ref Germany, Geiselwind east of Wurzburg is my favourite in the area…

This of course is the same police force and county authorities that park 1000’s of trucks on the M20 for operation stack! They want all the trade the the ports in Kent bring in but will not provide the infrastructure to support it.

UKtramp:
And of course everyone will still deliver to this area, as everyone will now plan deliveries around these restrictions. Wouldn’t it be nice if the hauliers actually refused to go in or only made deliveries on a basis of providing our drivers have the time left to leave the area. No guaranteed deliveries on a given date can now be made. Soon see parking areas amazingly as if by magic open up.

Not a chance. Your boss will gladly step in, and cuddly Eddie trucks will safe the day.

Nightime driving ban in London nightime stopping ban in Kent . And operation stack is for emergencies only . The guy in charge of transport in the U.K. rides a unicycle wearing big shoes and makeup

You could always look at it from the opposite end - and realize the solution to our problems here isn’t “ever more parking space for ever more trucks that don’t pay our taxes” but rigid enforcement of the laws we already have to prevent such drivers from taking the ■■■■ such as parking on live slip roads and under motorway bridges.

Mind you, here at Gillingham Business Park - I dunno why they’ve put signs up in French and German when a clear majority of the offending drivers are Romanian and Lithuanian :unamused: (n.b. NOT polish, and certainly not French and German!)

This appears to be a Brexit-style enforcement of “control our borders” thing being rolled out at last - and as such, I applaud it.
I would expect the police to give some kind of prior warning of enforcement - which those signs apparently do.

Let’s just hope they are up everywhere they intend to enforce the ban - including English of course - and we don’t see “unlabelled” laybys being targeted by polizei where the truckers have parked in said laybys in good faith.

This is supposed to stop situations like this from re-occuring - not persecute drivers everywhere and anywhere on our roads.

biggriffin:
what really annoying is, theres two huge ex~raf fighter stations in kent, suitable for lorry parks, but nimbys don’t want big smelly lorries.

The nimbys as you call them would prob prefere the trucks to the crap houses they will be building

Anyone else find it strange that to stop you parking they clamp you? Meaning you can’t move and will be parked for longer.

A.

UKtramp:

And why wudnt they deliver to kent they have shut a cpl of laybys not ashford truckstop . All of those lay-bys have adjacent houses and access that is always being parked over rubbish and bags of ■■■ (if they are lucky ) fridges running all weekend . Dont hear you boycotting france or belgium as they have shut aires for a fair distance from calais

On the news last night, a kent council spokesperson stated there are 9 truck stops in kent…Pray tell me where…Ashford is full by 9 pm, leaving exactly where to park…We also have the 45 hr rest to contend with now, and across europe mostly…so we are doomed…What we need are cheap motels, on all, major routes, with parking for trucks…and more truck parking, our stupid government never envisaged how many people would arrive from the EE countries…let alone how many trucks…seems we managed perfectly before they all joined, i am not blaming them, but the governments across europe who put nothing in place…till it bothered them, then decided its easier to enforce existing regulations, than to actually provide comfort for drivers. And they wonder why we cannot recruit new drivers to this industry.

chester1:

UKtramp:

And why wudnt they deliver to kent they have shut a cpl of laybys not ashford truckstop . All of those lay-bys have adjacent houses and access that is always being parked over rubbish and bags of ■■■ (if they are lucky ) fridges running all weekend . Dont hear you boycotting france or belgium as they have shut aires for a fair distance from calais

So they shouldn’t have built houses near a layby then. It’s like buying a house near a pub and complaining drunks are passing your house at all hours.

UKtramp:

chester1:

UKtramp:

So they shouldn’t have built houses near a layby then. It’s like buying a house near a pub and complaining drunks are passing your house at all hours.

These ain’t new houses one of the lay-by isn’t a lay-by it’s an access road to the houses a garage and a chippy the one right next to the park people have complained because they come across drivers squatting and dropping

bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-kent-41814688