Which RDC's do you hate visiting the most?

Just finished another nightshift, and as I was leaving our depot…witnessed yet another argument/shouting match between some
of our security/gatemen and a visiting driver!

Most of our security/gatemen are ok with our drivers…although one or two can be awkward…but a few of them seem to take
great delight in winding up visiting drivers to our depot. Visiting drivers that come into our driver’s room often complain about the
treatment that they receive from our security/gatemen.

They are not all jobsworths, but a few seem to get “high” on the power that they have to tell visiting drivers to “go away…you can’t come in drive”…when the other driver is only slightly early for his timeslot …(there’s nowhere to park a truck within a mile or two of the depot!).

A few seem to also enjoy doing extended random cab searches…when they know that the driver is in a rush to get away. One in particular seems to get a proper thrill out of giving some visiting drivers a thorough “search and pat down”…all in the name of security…of course!!

If I was driving for another firm, I must admit that I would not really look forward to visiting our depot.

Which are the RDC’s that you hate visiting the most??..and the RDC’s that have the most jobsworth security/gatemen??

Travis Perkins Warrington has a few jobs worths. Fines for being late and you need to where your hard hat, can only open one side of the trailer at once. And the toilet is at the other side of the building from where you go to tip.

Oh and there’s a sign saying “parking for goods in” but If you park there you get a bollocking for it. Apparently your supposed to know not to park where the sign says goods in parking, your supposed to know there are bays around the corner from the sign

Lancsdriver70:
Just finished another nightshift, and as I was leaving our depot…witnessed yet another argument/shouting match between some
of our security/gatemen and a visiting driver!

Most of our security/gatemen are ok with our drivers…although one or two can be awkward…but a few of them seem to take
great delight in winding up visiting drivers to our depot. Visiting drivers that come into our driver’s room often complain about the
treatment that they receive from our security/gatemen.

They are not all jobsworths, but a few seem to get “high” on the power that they have to tell visiting drivers to “go away…you can’t come in drive”…when the other driver is only slightly early for his timeslot …(there’s nowhere to park a truck within a mile or two of the depot!).

A few seem to also enjoy doing extended random cab searches…when they know that the driver is in a rush to get away. One in particular seems to get a proper thrill out of giving some visiting drivers a thorough “search and pat down”…all in the name of security…of course!!

If I was driving for another firm, I must admit that I would not really look forward to visiting our depot.

Which are the RDC’s that you hate visiting the most??..and the RDC’s that have the most jobsworth security/gatemen??

Are they actually allowed to pat you down? Police need special powers for that. What gives minimum wage jumped up security man the right to do it without consent? Surely the fact I’m doing my job by being on the sight doesn’t automatically mean I have to consent to a pat down? Especially if I’ve not been told before I enter the site

Rowley010:
Apparently your supposed to know not to park where the sign says goods in parking, your supposed to know there are bays around the corner from the sign

Ive been to a few places that expect you to be a mind reader for what their procedures are

The-Snowman:

Rowley010:
Apparently your supposed to know not to park where the sign says goods in parking, your supposed to know there are bays around the corner from the sign

Ive been to a few places that expect you to be a mind reader for what their procedures are

The thing is at TP id that sign saying goods in parking wasn’t there you’d carry on and see the bays and assume your suppose to park there anyway. The first time you go you only park there because that’s what the sign says. One driver said he got threatened to be banned from site for parking next to the goods in parking sign.

I had it out with security on the way out that the sign says park there. Thy had no answer other than don’t park there again

Rowley010:
Are they actually allowed to pat you down? Police need special powers for that. What gives minimum wage jumped up security man the right to do it without consent? Surely the fact I’m doing my job by being on the sight doesn’t automatically mean I have to consent to a pat down? Especially if I’ve not been told before I enter the site

I don’t know what our security staff’s rules and guidelines are…but when I first started at the depot, on my first day (before I was
given a company uniform)…they didn’t know who I was, and presumed that I was a visitor. I was told that day to empty my pockets,
show them the contents of my bag…and given a pat down.

I haven’t been given a pat down since then…because they know me, and know that I work there…but it does happen randomly
to site visitors.

Regarding the police and “pat downs”, me and my 3 sons (along with most of the travelling Wigan Athletic supporters) …were all given
“pat downs” outside Blackpool’s ground last Saturday…before we could enter Bloomfield Rd. If you’re an “away” football supporter…it happens at most grounds.

Langdons at Redditch has to have the most miserable staff in the country all other Langdons seem to want to tip you and get you away yet Redditch seems the opposite from the shunter who thinks he is some sort of camp commandant to the office staff who can’t see 7 drivers standing outside of their window and to top it of today one of the goods in staff just flounced out halfway through dealing with a driver due to a comment made by another office staff member, must be a great place to work.

I’m fortunate that my RDC days are over, but the worst one I have done is Sainsbury’s Stoke DHL :frowning:

4 hours seems to be the norm there…

Lancsdriver70:

Rowley010:

I don’t know what our security staff’s rules and guidelines are…but when I first started at the depot, on my first day (before I was
given a company uniform)…they didn’t know who I was, and presumed that I was a visitor. I was told that day to empty my pockets,
show them the contents of my bag…and given a pat down.

I haven’t been given a pat down since then…because they know me, and know that I work there…but it does happen randomly
to site visitors.

Regarding the police and “pat downs”, me and my 3 sons (along with most of the travelling Wigan Athletic supporters) …were all given
“pat downs” outside Blackpool’s ground last Saturday…before we could enter Bloomfield Rd. If you’re an “away” football supporter…it happens at most grounds.

There obviously must be a law that allows it. Something to do with if you want to enter the premises you agree to the pat down. But at an RDC unless your told a condition for entering is to agree to a pat down on the way out then I’d be asking him for the law that allows him to touch me and that he’s assaulting me if I don’t consent, and if he says it’s a condition for being on site and I know I’ve definitely not been told or not bothered reading it in on the rules card, he can go shove it.

I wouldn’t consent to being “patted down” on the way out. Especially by one of the brand that inhabit security boxes at these places. A lot can barely muster up manners let alone have the right to touch me up. It’s not exactly safety like at ports or football grounds, it’s in case you’ve knicked anything like a pallet of marrows hidden in your back pocket.

It would be a no from me.

You can’t say someone agrees to a physical search just by entering it on the rules leaflet. You still have to ask permission before and people can refuse. Difference is searching on entry means they just won’t be allowed in. Not sure what they’d do on the way out. They can’t legally detain you unless they believe you to have stolen something whilst they call the police. In short I’d just tell them politely to ■■■■ off.

Rowley010:
Travis Perkins Warrington has a few jobs worths. Fines for being late and you need to where your hard hat, can only open one side of the trailer at once. And the toilet is at the other side of the building from where you go to tip.

Oh and there’s a sign saying “parking for goods in” but If you park there you get a bollocking for it. Apparently your supposed to know not to park where the sign says goods in parking, your supposed to know there are bays around the corner from the sign

And your not allowed on the trailer.

Ken.

Freight Dog:
In short I’d just tell them politely to ■■■■ off.

I wouldn’t be that polite.

Ken.

Quinny:

Rowley010:

Ken.

Keys in plus stop sign up. Surprised you don’t have to put a lock on the red line as well

This has to be a wind-up thread…If not, then it will be another place that is killing the haulage industry because of the petty rules and regs.

Freight Dog:
I wouldn’t consent to being “patted down” on the way out. Especially by one of the brand that inhabit security boxes at these places. A lot can barely muster up manners let alone have the right to touch me up. It’s not exactly safety like at ports or football grounds, it’s in case you’ve knicked anything like a pallet of marrows hidden in your back pocket.

You can’t say someone agrees to a physical search just by entering it on the rules leaflet. You still have to ask permission before and people can refuse. Difference is searching on entry means they just won’t be allowed in. Not sure what they’d do on the way out. They can’t legally detain you unless they believe you to have stolen something whilst they call the police. In short I’d just tell them politely to ■■■■ off.

Exactly. They can’t just go around searching people on the way out. If they have a genuine belief you have stolen something they would need to detain you officially until the police arrive. If he did that to me I’ll tell 100% I would not be moving my truck away from blocking the barriers and it will take the police about 2 hours to come for something like that.

Rowley010:

Freight Dog:

Exactly. They can’t just go around searching people on the way out. If they have a genuine belief you have stolen something they would need to detain you officially until the police arrive. If he did that to me I’ll tell 100% I would not be moving my truck away from blocking the barriers and it will take the police about 2 hours to come for something like that.

I had something like this at The Range RDC in Avonmouth. After they tried to refuse a load booked for 1900 at 1905 (thankfully my office managed to talk them out of this) despite the place being empty the gatehouse told me I had to press this wee button on the way out:

“If it brings up a green light you’re good to go but if it comes up red I’ll need to search your cab.”

I told him I’d happily press the button if it got me out quicker but there was no way he’d be coming in my cab whatever the outcome. It came up green so an impasse was avoided but [zb] knows how far they’d have been willing to take it had it been red.

Basically using a random computer test to effectively accuse people of robbing them. [zb] bizarre.

Rowley010:

Freight Dog:

Yeah just tell them to do one. If they insist on keeping you there with the barrier down, you can remind them that the only legal way they can do that is by declaring a citizens arrest. Don’t tell them the next bit, just watch them ■■■■ it up, but they have to tell you what they’re doing, why and also announce to you what offence they think you have committed. They then have to call the Peelers, naturally :laughing: .

If all this pointless, typically uk over the top dramatics did happen you’d have to film it as if if anyone ■■■■■ up doing a citizens arrest and they’re wrong they’re liable for all sorts of criminal charges themselves which will be gleefully explained to them, by you just as the police arrive to find you’re not smuggling spuds :laughing: . In short, one can’t go around detaining fellow members of the public because your firm gives you a shirt with epaulettes. I bet some of the cabbages think they can :unamused:

The guy on the out gate at Sainsbury’s Borehamwood takes some beating for attitude. He objected to my company issue steel toe capped trainers, when I offered to kick him in his ■■■■■■ with them to prove they were steelies he reported me for threatening him.

Only once had bother at Tesco Donny and that was when I refused to let a security guard into my lorry to search it on the way out. He told me that I had agreed to them terms when I entered the site, I asked him to show me my signature to that effect. I finally offered to let him in if in return he gave me the keys to his house so I in turn could search that.

Telt:
I had something like this at The Range RDC in Avonmouth. After they tried to refuse a load booked for 1900 at 1905 (thankfully my office managed to talk them out of this) despite the place being empty the gatehouse told me I had to press this wee button on the way out:

“If it brings up a green light you’re good to go but if it comes up red I’ll need to search your cab.”

I told him I’d happily press the button if it got me out quicker but there was no way he’d be coming in my cab whatever the outcome. It came up green so an impasse was avoided but [zb] knows how far they’d have been willing to take it had it been red.

Basically using a random computer test to effectively accuse people of robbing them. [zb] bizarre.

They aren’t random. They can be set to bring up every button press as green, or red, or variable percentages in between.

Rowley010:

Quinny:

Rowley010:

Ken.

Keys in plus stop sign up. Surprised you don’t have to put a lock on the red line as well

Morrison’s Motherwell is keys in and lock the air line. Then got told to wait in canteen. What’s the point of waisting time locking airline if not waiting in the cab