Keeping Fuel/Diesel Container in your truck

Is this advised and allowed for an emergency situation like a petrol station you’re expecting to stop at is closed due to a fire/alarm/robbery/accident?

How bigs this container you’re gonna be carrying in your cab?!
A 5 litre jerry can won’t get you far :smiley:

You’ve got problems if missing your planned fuel stop will mean you run out of fuel!

Pay attention to your fuel consumption and work it out from there.

1/4 of a tank does me 350-400km.

You’d need 20 litre jerry can at least to be worth carrying, which i’d be more inclined to strap behind the cab somewhere and use a cable lock through the handle to secure it, but i’d speak to the head honcho where you work and get his approval for this, that way when someone points the finger at you for fuel fiddling you can redirect them to the top floor.

Braveheart2009:
Is this advised

Hi Braveheart2009,

IMHO, the length of this particular piece of string will probably depend on the nature of the particular job you do, where you run to, and whatever refuelling arrangements your firm has.

Braveheart2009:
… and allowed for an emergency situation

As for “allowed,” I can tell you that ADR has an exemption that allows a maximum total of 60 litres of spare fuel for your vehicle’s propulsion, which can be carried in portable containers such as drums/jerricans.

:bulb: If it were me … I’d follow Juddian’s advice and make sure that your boss knows all about it before you do anything that could be misunderstood.

Good advice from Juddian and Diesel Dave as always. If you realy have to,then i’d be inclined to stash it in the belly box to keep it out of sight of the hedge bumpers

I don’t know which is worse ? Asking about keeping a can of fuel inside the cab or people actually coming up with suggestions :open_mouth:
I would NEVER consider carrying any type of fuel in a cab, if you are really so concerned about it carry a can in an external locker. In the USA it would be a serious offence and I always thought laws were more harsh back in the UK.
As earlier pointed out you have to just make sure your tanks are well supplied, make sure there is no risk of even running too low.

No doubt I will get some crap over my answer :laughing:

I wouldn’t even consider keeping fuel in my cab tbh. It’s not so much the potential for fire as after all it’ll probably be diesel which is relatively safe, and I’ll admit to carrying gas canisters on my top bunk. What would sway me against it would be the thought of a 20 litre, 25kg metal can bouncing off my head if it all went Pete Tong.

If you must carry extra fuel then put it on the truck somewhere.

If you must carry spare fuel, why not carry it in the main fuel tank(s) and simply fill up a bit earlier…?

Roymondo:
If you must carry spare fuel, why not carry it in the main fuel tank(s) and simply fill up a bit earlier…?

^
This
The fuel consumption of most trucks would soon eat away at any spare can of fuel most likely stranding you in the middle of nowhere anyway.

5-10 litres in the bottom of my 1480 litre tank would hardly wet the bottom…

I think people sometimes forget what small fuel tanks some of us have had to and still endure in our work, had a 250 litre jobbie on a bloody lorry and drag FL10 10 (nope it was 11) car transporter FFS, 15ft at least of spare room under the body of the prime mover and they stuck a bloody 3 tonner’s fuel tank in :unamused: , they could have put a 1000 gallon tank behind it and still had room to spare for half a dozen cyclists to attempt their own end, i couldn’t do a full days work with the bloody thing and often ended up filling up twice, that extra 20 litres in a jerry would have been bloody handy many times, never ran out but it was often touch and go and feeling the vehicle pull back as the fuel sloshed about and air was drawn in…remember you can’t fit in every bloody garage @ 16’.

Still have small tanks on some tanker spec tractor unit, so much room is taken up by hydraulic and blowing equipment that only the basic smalley tank will fit, plus minimal tare weight is the order of the day, can’t run around with 500 litres+ on board.

Orange fuel light on our M.A.N’s when filled indicate approx 90 litres of fuel left, if you can ignore that light for that many miles the you shouldn’t be driving it or any other truck to be fair.

i had that problem years ago…the boss fitted belly tanks 1500 litres did me proud. :smiley: :smiley:

I would prefer to carry fuel in the truck as if you do run out of fuel or something goes wrong at a fuel station like your fuel card is lost/stolen or the chip is damaged or the machine is not accepting it you’re stumped and likely to miss or delay a delivery which could get you into serious bother.

Most companies have a breakdown service who will come out and refuel to the next station, however if your stuck at 3am on urban rural area you aint moving till sunlight as most people start work 8am onwards. I would imagine some 24/7 breakdown services would refuse to go out to fuel a lorry miles away at 3am. They would wait till the morning or afternoon.