Not the usual sat nav question

Irrespective of sat nav how often do you update the maps?

My own I do at 3-4 month intervals which works for me though some road changes can take 6 or more months before they become available.

Four times per year but as you say some new roads take time to be incorporated.

Got me wondering how maps in general are updated and who has responsibilities for the accuracy of them? Some mapping in some SatNavs is truly awful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Tom would send an email reminding you to update

fredthered:
Four times per year but as you say some new roads take time to be incorporated.

Got me wondering how maps in general are updated and who has responsibilities for the accuracy of them? Some mapping in some SatNavs is truly awful!

My guess would be Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey are very expensive, but maps and sat navs are updated on price, the more you pay, the better they are, roads do not appear overnight, they are planned months and years in advance. I have a map that shows the proposed M11 joining the Humber Bridge and up near Boroughbridge onto the A1

Wiretwister:

My own I do at 3-4 month intervals which works for me though some road changes can take 6 or more months before they become available.

I use Google Maps so I don’t need to as Google do it automatically themselves. The new section of A1M from Leeming Bar to Scotch Corner was on there whilst it was still under construction and a 50MPH restricted section.

1989 in answer to your question.

My Tom Tom has only just updated the new section of the A556, been driving across fields for months :laughing:

Wiretwister:

I have the Garmin update app on my computer and I update whenever it tells me there’s a major update (particularly a map update). I think there’s four a year; oddly they’re named for the following year, not this year (current one is 2018.20 for example). I don’t download every minor software update when they appear, unless they’re obviously important.

Anyone else thinking, I don’t actually know how to update mine.

(£35 igo one if anyone can help?)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk