Best sector to work in?

I’ve always worked in the parcel/pallet business which is all overnight rush rush delivery service.
Currently working as a C/D driver class one.
It is pretty crap and if I’m taking a tacho break its because I gotta handball a pallet or some other crap. I basically do class 2 multi drop without a tailift then I pick a drag up for collections.
I’ve had my class 1 less then a year though, I know its not great but its the only industry I know. Question is what is a good/cushty driving job.

Tippers [emoji109]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a really cushy, easy job, then it doesn’t get much easier than the night trunking at our place. Drive 3-4 hrs, drop a trailer. pick up an empty one, then 3-4hrs back to the depot and finish. Stop and have a break whenever, and wherever you want…no phone calls from the office, no mithering, no pressure.

Only problem I found, was it gets a bit monotonous and boring after a while. I now do store deliveries…which are harder work, and involve a bit of graft with a pallet truck and tailift…but I find them more varied and interesting.

adam277:
Question is what is a good/cushty driving job.

Containers. Open the doors and go to bed. OK if that’s your thing but it bores the life out of me.

Best to try a bit of everything and see what floats your own personal boat. Don’t worry about the length of time you’ve had your class 1. Lots of work to be had so take your pick and go for it. If you don’t like what you’re doing try something else.

Good luck.

I quite like multi drop. My last HGV job was multi drop to car dealers and the one I’m going to is multi drop to whatever. It suits me because I like to he a bit (but not too) active lol

Frigos, Continent, the creme de la creme.

A.

Any work outside of the UK. C.D.S to Calais drop and swop return, proper money and great roads/stops…

Building sites
They shut at 4,and half 2 on friday

adam277:
I’ve always worked in the parcel/pallet business which is all overnight rush rush delivery service.
It is pretty crap and if I’m taking a tacho break its because I gotta handball a pallet or some other crap. I basically do class 2 multi drop without a tailift then I pick a drag up for collections.
I’ve had my class 1 less then a year though, I know its not great but its the only industry I know. Question is what is a good/cushty driving job.

This is part of what screws the job up.

I don’t like the idea of tail lifts and store deliveries or RDC work.

I used to only want to work Mon-Fri and was not fussed either way about nights out so my last job doing bulk tipper work suited me, but Saturdays soon started creeping in as landfills and more recycling places were open so my boss wanted to make use of this. I was probably doing 65hrs+ every single week.

Where I work now is event/exhibition and medical trailers. I just work whenever is needed so I might do a Saturday/Sunday but have Mon-Weds off work etc. Lots of weeks I have done less then 45hrs of work but might be away from home the whole week. When I drove to Budapest for the F1 this year I was gone for 15 days but I was only working 9 days during that period including 5 days off in Budapest itself in a hotel.

So I would argue that my job is the best sector but a lot of people would think its crazy being away that long.

Own account work.

Sidevalve:
Own account work.

Agreed, though its not necessarily what the OP was after, presumably a cushty number sitting on one’s arse all day doing the bare minimum :wink: , note the :wink: i wouldn’t want the Op’s job sounds a right ball ache.
Doing the job right and keeping your vehicle and equipment in the best condition possible takes effort, pride needed.

Cushty? Sitting on your bum doing nowt? I wouldnt like that, nor would many others. It may sound good if youre currently being pushed to work through breaks,but may wear thin after a while.
If youre on a job where you know you can wander off and get exercise, or whatever, can be good, but a job where you have no idea how long you have to wait, can be the pits. As said own account operators tend to pay better, and often give better conditions, as do other more specialized operators. Getting on for one of theses is the target for many of us, but by definition, niche operators arent mainstream, and a little luck is needed to get a start.

commonrail:
Building sites

I wish I delivered to the sites you’re suggesting, most sites I used to deliver to were 24hrs sometimes 7 days a week!

We’ll probably the cushiest job I ever did was new trailer deliveries, hook up trailer, take to customer, un hook, job done. I suppose winding the legs down took a bit of effort though. But unless you’re based new a trailer maker it probably a non-starter and it did get a bit boring really.

The best jobs in my opinion are a combination of the work you’re doing, the people you’re working for and the people you’re working with. I think I’ve found that with motorsport, especially as the couple of times I’ve decided to leave and get a proper truck driving job, its not long before I realised my error and gone back to it. But good it might be, but I’d never say it was a cushy number.

maga:

commonrail:
Building sites

I wish I delivered to the sites you’re suggesting, most sites I used to deliver to were 24hrs sometimes 7 days a week!

Mainly housing developments.
All gone home by 5…lucky to get tipped after 4
Don’t start till 8

So…arrive mid morning,tipped for dinner…steady ride back.

adam277:

If you’re getting stressed about the few seconds taken by the driver in front of you to select a gear and move off when the lights change, I doubt you’ll find any driving job “cushty”, TBH.

Maybe but I am trying to quit smoking so most things wind me up.

As already said, working for an own account operator is a no brainer.
The drivers are usually on a realistic pay rate, and maybe the same terms as shop floor workers…ie time and half over 40 hours instead of all this time and 2 bob after 50 hours gen haul ■■■■■■■■.
Only problem is keeping the likes of the Green Death or the Yellow Peril from muscling in on your job by taking over the haulage.
(Dare I say it ?..unless maybe if it’s unionised. :bulb: )

Our lot do a bit for a firm with their own trucks, and they get priority on work over their own drivers. :open_mouth:

This is mostly because the firm pay their drivers a proper and fair wage, and we are on crap money in comparison, …so it costs less to use the likes of me as a driver than it does to use their own drivers. :smiley:
Don’t you just love this industry eh? :unamused:

Working for a firm where transport/haulage isnt there main business.

Its nice being given a truck, being told where to load, then having 3 or 4 days to get to where you going. Being able to choose the boat or the train, the route your going, where you stop and for how long. And not hearing from anyone, asking where you are and when your going to be there.