Rip Dougs Diner

Closed today for the last time. That just leaves the Jenkinsons dump in Penrith that I wouldnt use if you paid me. :frowning:

Like I said on the other thread it was never as good with new owner.
It was up to pub/restaurant standard at that time, wouldn’‘t say cheap, but I’'d rather pay a bit more for decent quality meat and well cooked food, than pay cheaper for crap.
I can say I never had a bad meal when Shirley had it.

Taken them less than a year to ■■■■ it up. :unamused:
Is it up for sale again or what?

$$$:
Closed today for the last time. That just leaves the Jenkinsons dump in Penrith that I wouldnt use if you paid me. :frowning:

I like the truck stop other than the fact it’s run by that mob :laughing:

Good parking, good food, good facilities.

A.

Few more truckers saved from themselves and the inevitable heart attack delayed a few more years then!

Javiatrix:
Few more truckers saved from themselves and the inevitable heart attack delayed a few more years then!

So when we are all ‘saved from ourselves’ then mate, when all the better cafes are shut down, …what’s the alternative then ?
Salmonella lay by vans?
Burger Kings at MSAs ■■

As I said, any meal I had there in the time it was ran by previous owner, was very good, ok maybe not a celery salad (although you could get good healthy salads there tbf) but neither was it swimming in grease either .

Javiatrix:

I frequent places like Dougs every day for jacket n salad or proper dinner ,beans on toast ,I only have a cooked breakfast on a weekend ,you are presuming that anyone that goes in a place such as Dougs is after a fatty breakfast :unamused:

Two of the best I have ever been in was Chippenham Pit stop off the M4 and the other is the stock yard in Rotherham, both have great facilities and a very healthy menu. My waistline is in the condition it is in from not eating in truck stops, but these rank amongst the best in my opinion. If only all truck stops adopted these standards I am sure we would not see such unhealthy truckers as we do today. I genuinely believe little time to eat as well as what we eat has had a big impact and has caused overweight drivers.

robroy:
It was up to pub/restaurant standard at that time, wouldn’‘t say cheap, but I’'d rather pay a bit more for decent quality meat and well cooked food, than pay cheaper for crap.

Taken them less than a year to [zb] it up. :unamused:

The cook said he thought it was shutting for good.

$$$:

robroy:

What was the ‘official reason’ for closing?
Think we know the real.reason.

No tanning salon I heard

UKtramp:
No tanning salon I heard

Thats bound to the the reason, cant think of any other. Thats the trouble with these old dyed in the wool places, they just dont keep up with the times… :grimacing:

UKtramp:
No tanning salon I heard

Thats bound to the the reason, cant think of any other. Thats the trouble with these old dyed in the wool places, they just dont keep up with the times… :grimacing:

robroy:

$$$:

robroy:

I still thought the food was ok, but the issue was obviously not enough custom. I think they shot themselves in the foot by going SNAP. The whole reason drivers with half a brain park where they do is to get a dinner included in the parking.

AndrewG:

UKtramp:
No tanning salon I heard

The problem with a lot of truck stops is that they cannot get the planning permission for a salon or gym, inevitably that is the kiss of death for them. Such a shame as a lot will go by the wayside, tanning studios, gyms, nail bar are all essential services to todays modern trucker.

$$$:

robroy:

$$$:

robroy:

I still thought the food was ok, but the issue was obviously not enough custom. I think they shot themselves in the foot by going SNAP. The whole reason drivers with half a brain park where they do is to get a dinner included in the parking.

I agree on that.
I also think the name change didn’t help, the business had a good name, as it was synonymous with success.
They could have carried that on and built on it by adding their own touch, instead of changing the name and not maintaining the quality set by the previous owners.