Arch bridge heights

If where the height marking is there are no lines specifying where the stated height is on the arch, does that mean the whole width of the carriageway is the height stated?

Sometimes when your only a few inches off the stated height it looks a bit close for comfort as your approaching it with where that height on the arch actually is

No it doesn’t. As I found out a few years ago when a car decided it wasn’t stopping and I had to swerve slightly to miss it . Bridge marked 13’3", my lorry 12’8", luckily just a scuff on the paint.

That was however on a minor road. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Sidevalve:
No it doesn’t. As I found out a few years ago when a car decided it wasn’t stopping and I had to swerve slightly to miss it . Bridge marked 13’3", my lorry 12’8", luckily just a scuff on the paint.

That was however on a minor road. Not sure if that makes any difference.

This is why I’m always abit cautious of them even if I’m under the specified height. Seems it potentially can be a bit of a gamble as to where exactly the specified height starts and ends

Well as we both know, common sense dictates you approach it dead centre; unfortunately if there are no warning signs about “oncoming vehicles in the middle of the road” it can get a bit messy.

I always take the center of the arch as the max height, however now I am starting with Stobart I shall be ignoring all bridge height restrictions anyway.

UKtramp:
I always take the center of the arch as the max height, however now I am starting with Stobart I shall be ignoring all bridge height restrictions anyway.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

UKtramp:

Don’t worry trampy these are part of the ESL PPE/Uniform pack anyway…

:smiley:

I know, I know… I have far too much time on my hands.

Reef:

UKtramp:

Don’t worry trampy these are part of the ESL PPE/Uniform pack anyway…

:smiley:

I know, I know… I have far too much time on my hands.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: I am going to print that off and put it on the canteen wall in Appleton on Thursday :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Rowley010:
If where the height marking is there are no lines specifying where the stated height is on the arch, does that mean the whole width of the carriageway is the height stated?

Sometimes when your only a few inches off the stated height it looks a bit close for comfort as your approaching it with where that height on the arch actually is

On an arch bridge without width lines, I would assume the height marking refers to the clearance for a box van of 2.5m width approaching the arch within any of the marked lane(s) - or approaching centrally, if no lanes are marked.

No other principle would seem sensible or useful to drivers, and surely almost all victorian arches marked on any other basis will either have long since been knocked down by vehicles and rebuilt with girders, or else the responsible authority (usually the rail authority) will have taken action to mark the arch appropriately.

Vehicles with a narrow upper profile (like diggers on a flatbed) may be able to exceed the stated height by approaching the arch centrally (straddling marked lanes if necessary), but that is on their head to assess the bridge for themselves, having been forewarned of what the clearance is for a box van profile.