Trucking in Dubai

had a jolly to the Middle East recently, took up an offer of some dune bashing in a 4x4, on our way out of town, i was very surprised to see that all the HGV’s were behaving and only driving in lane 1, its a free for all in all the other lanes, I wish i’d taken a pic, a queue of trucks, tippers, flat beds, new and old trucks, all maintaining a sensible speed and keeping a sensible distance…No overtaking AT ALL :open_mouth:

trix-trux:
had a jolly to the Middle East recently, took up an offer of some dune bashing in a 4x4, on our way out of town, i was very surprised to see that all the HGV’s were behaving and only driving in lane 1, its a free for all in all the other lanes, I wish i’d taken a pic, a queue of trucks, tippers, flat beds, new and old trucks, all maintaining a sensible speed and keeping a sensible distance…No overtaking AT ALL :open_mouth:

overtaking is probably punishable by having your foot cut off, barbarians :laughing:

I wonder what the pay is like over there.

peterboroughmatt:

As mush sand as you can carry in yer hat.

I believe Drink-Driving penalties are, ermm, harsh.
And you don’t need to be driving either.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

trix-trux:

My brother lives there and it’s strictly no overtaking, same in a few other Arab countries apparently.

peterboroughmatt:

Been there a few times over the last 7 years and all driving jobs (as well as most other manual jobs) are done by immigrant workforce, mainly Indians or Pakistanis.
Didn’t see any white Europeans driving trucks, so that tells me that the money probably isn’t great.

if is still the same rules then no matter who hits who,or who is to blame,you as the white man will be arrested on the spot and jailed as by their logic you shouldnt be in their country,if you wernt in their country,then the accident wouldnt have happened hence it is automatically your fault.jailed for a few days till the british consulate appears,then much backhanding and fines to get both you,and your truck out of custody.possibly with tinterweb and media nowadays it may not be as bad,but that is the rule they work with.anything that happens then you shouldnt be in their country.i believe similar happened to some jetski dude that whacked a swimmer a while ago? instant jail as he was a brit.a somewhat different set of rules when they arrive here.

dieseldog999:
if is still the same rules then no matter who hits who,or who is to blame,you as the white man will be arrested on the spot and jailed as by their logic you shouldnt be in their country,if you wernt in their country,then the accident wouldnt have happened hence it is automatically your fault.jailed for a few days till the british consulate appears,then much backhanding and fines to get both you,and your truck out of custody.possibly with tinterweb and media nowadays it may not be as bad,but that is the rule they work with.anything that happens then you shouldnt be in their country.i believe similar happened to some jetski dude that whacked a swimmer a while ago? instant jail as he was a brit.a somewhat different set of rules when they arrive here.

I heard the same from a brit expat who lives in Dubai.
I bet most arab countries have the same logic, maybe some of the ex middle east drivers on here can confirm.

dieseldog999:

Re Jet-Ski bit. Remember the travesty in Mexico with Kirsty McCall?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

dieseldog999:

Now that’s a law we need over here.

I thought that it was to do with being Muslim or not rather than your colour or race. If a Muslim and an infidel have a crash, since the Muslim was being guided by Allah the infidel must be to blame as he was not. Open and shut case.

biggriffin:

dieseldog999:

Now that’s a law we need over here.

It is already isn’t it? If you’re the white Brit here I mean! :smiley:

And before all the lefty libtarded millennials start harrumphing and taking to hashtagging on social media, I’m only joking!!

As someone who has worked a lot around the middle east, I may be able to shed a little light on the rules of the Arab world. If you are invited, working and giving something to the country, then you are extended a more courteous and lenient hospitality set of rules. If you are there on a jolly you are simply classed as a second rate citizen of little importance. If you break their laws, regardless of what capacity you are there for, you can expect to receive some very severe punishments. Drinking laws have been lapsed a little for the Hotels etc, get caught drinking on the streets and you would find yourself in deep hot water. There used to be organised illegal drinking parties held by ex pats where even the Saudi people themselves used to attend. They received the same punishments if caught. Kissing in the streets is also another serious offence as well as been gay. It goes on but everyone keeps it well out of sight. The Arab world may look as though it is being westernised but the reality of that is a very watered down version. The consulate staff may intervene trying to help but the governments of the world need the Arab oil and will turn a blind eye towards your treatment. You don’t break the laws in the middle east like you do over here. Fridge men are like gods over there and we still have to behave well within the law.