Let's be careful out there

Had a call at home yesterday evening to tell me today’s run had been changed. No problem as it’s a run I often cover when the regular driver is off, although I normally get a bit more notice. Found out why today - he had a heart attack in the lorry yesterday afternoon. Fortunately he had another driver with him and was taken straight to hospital so should make a good recovery. He’s only 50 years old!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Must admit its something that seems to be creeping into my thoughts more and more …my health!
Hope your guy makes a good recovery…

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Hope he’s back on his feet soon.

As drivers we are mostly ‘lone workers’… I always keep a few disperscible aspirin with me …it’s the first thing that a paramedic will give you if you have chest pains or sign of a stroke…every minute counts.

I had a funny turn a couple of months ago on the M61 at 7am. Started shaking and felt really bad. Stopped on hard shoulder as unsafe to drive. Thought I could walk it off with a bit of fresh air. I was wrong. After a couple of minutes I collapsed. Now I was literally three miles from my drop. Due to how I felt I was going to ring in and say I was going to get my head down for a few hours to see if it passed. Thank God I didn’t. Turns out I had a kidney infection which had caused sepsis to start. Had I have gone to the bunk I could have died.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Heisenberrg:

As drivers we are mostly ‘lone workers’… I always keep a few disperscible aspirin with me …it’s the first thing that a paramedic will give you if you have chest pains or sign of a stroke…every minute counts.

Wife’s a nurse…

She’s just said make sure it’s about 300mg you’re carrying…

As that’s the amount the medics will bang into you’re needing them with any of the said symptoms…

That’s why I take every opportunity to jump on the back and help out with the loading/unloading.

Goldfinger:

Heisenberrg:

Wife’s a nurse…

As that’s the amount the medics will bang into you’re needing them with any of the said symptoms…

I’m surprised she condones give a stoke patient aspirin as a first aid treatment.

As a a registered paramedic I wouldn’t consider it, given that there are two type of stroke - one caused by a clot (where it could be beneficial) and the other albeit less common caused by bleeding into the brain. Giving aspirin in the second case could make the bleeding much worse.

PW

PilotWolf:

Goldfinger:

Heisenberrg:

Wife’s a nurse…

I’m surprised she condones give a stoke patient aspirin as a first aid treatment.

As a a registered paramedic I wouldn’t consider it, given that there are two type of stroke - one caused by a clot (where it could be beneficial) and the other albeit less common caused by bleeding into the brain. Giving aspirin in the second case could make the bleeding much worse.

PW

Totally agree. Paramedics will normally not give you Aspirin for stroke symptons. The int. guidelines state that quite clear. Aspirin only after a CT Scan.

And even if you have chest pain, it could be all kind of stuff. For example a ruptured aorta, a trapped nerv, a heart attack, an embolus in your lung etc.

Important is that we all listen to our body and not just carry on.

So if you feel shortness of breath, chest pain, dizzyness, sicky feeling, cold sweat, trouble breathing > PULL OVER and call 999.
Tell them your symptons and get an ambulance out if needed. You only have one life.

I know enough people what died later with a severe heart attack what suffered with the symptons above.

This makes interesting reading , I had paramedics sent out very recently as when I rang 111 I said one of my symptoms was pins and needles down my left arm, paramedics said they agreed that it was probably pulled muscle but they do a check as pins and needles in left arm can’t point to heart issues
So did ecg ( think that’s the name ) and said have your heart problems :question: , no , well the trace is not what I’d expect , are you sure , not as far as I know , will do it again , same result not what they’d expect , so taken to a&e and again put on a machine , but never got told the result of that / there thoughts , just doc thought it was pulled muscle .
Now 6 weeks on I’ve still pins/ needles pouring down left arm and I’m at times unsteady on my feet , I just put it down to medication taking , diazepam , though other than being unsteady at times on feet I’ve none of the other symptoms above . Feel not bad other than pain in back / shoulder / arm

Pleased to say just come back from having my medical and passed so all good to go for the next 2 years … :slight_smile:

dozy:
This makes interesting reading , I had paramedics sent out very recently as when I rang 111 I said one of my symptoms was pins and needles down my left arm, paramedics said they agreed that it was probably pulled muscle but they do a check as pins and needles in left arm can’t point to heart issues
So did ecg ( think that’s the name ) and said have your heart problems :question: , no , well the trace is not what I’d expect , are you sure , not as far as I know , will do it again , same result not what they’d expect , so taken to a&e and again put on a machine , but never got told the result of that / there thoughts , just doc thought it was pulled muscle .
Now 6 weeks on I’ve still pins/ needles pouring down left arm and I’m at times unsteady on my feet , I just put it down to medication taking , diazepam , though other than being unsteady at times on feet I’ve none of the other symptoms above . Feel not bad other than pain in back / shoulder / arm

they dont get any better…wheres that pic ffs!!!