Autonomous vehicles

The other week one poster on here that supposedly works for Land Rover/Jaguar assured me they had not even thought about autonomous vehicles!
How strange eh and I can also tell you there are companies with plans well in front of them.

bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-41504285

It all depends in what capacity they work for these companies as to what level of knowledge they will have. If you asked the chap who swept the factory floor what future plans Jaguar have for expansion, I am sure you would get a different prospective from one of the directors other than himself. Same applies here, most projects like automation plans are normally on a need to know basis.

Dr Damon:
The other week one poster on here that supposedly works for Land Rover/Jaguar assured me they had not even thought about autonomous vehicles!
How strange eh and I can also tell you there are companies with plans well in front of them.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Did I say that? really? Or was it that I was commenting on a thread about cars loading themselves onto car transporters and how it simply wouldn’t work in a Factory Environment because its mayhem.

Of course they’re thinking about and developing autonomous vehicles, every manufacturer on the planet is.

It’s going to happen sooner or later, government and industry are pushing for it.
This is not just an issue for our industry though. There are robots that can already hoover your house so how long before they replace litter pickers?
Parcel companies could of automated their warehousing ages ago to do away with parcel sorters but they haven’t.
Everything will be automated eventually but as driving is high risk with a lot of unknown variables I personally believe it will be one of the things last to become automated.
So when I start seeing automated warehouses(A controlled environment) become the norm I will start getting worried.

Makes me wonder what all these people are going to do particularly people leaving school without qualifications when there wont be any/many low skills jobs to walk into.

Well they already have autonomous security guards, but it seems this one hated the job

knight2:
Well they already have autonomous security guards, but it seems this one hated the job
DC security robot quits job by drowning itself in a fountain - The Verge

Obviously had its application for a driving job turned down. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

maga:

Dr Damon:

Did I say that? really? Or was it that I was commenting on a thread about cars loading themselves onto car transporters and how it simply wouldn’t work in a Factory Environment because its mayhem.

Of course they’re thinking about and developing autonomous vehicles, every manufacturer on the planet is.

Yep would you like me to re post exactly what you said?

Dr Damon:

maga:

Dr Damon:

Yep would you like me to re post exactly what you said?

maga:

IronEddie:
“At the moment, the project is designed to “steer vehicles from the production line out to a collection point to await further transport.” However, according to Semcon, the system can also be adapted to streamline other parts of the logistics chain like moving vehicles onto trucks, trains or ships.”

Let’s not blow this out of proportion. They’re not talking about car transporters driving themselves or even the cars driving themselves to the show room or customer. Car transporter truckers have got a job for a while yet.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

as someone who works in vehicle manufacturing directly, I can say this is nothing more than a pipe dream even at the first level :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

its absolute mayhem in the factory end of line, with cars flying about on the limiter all over the place.

there you go me old China, please point out where I said anything about them not being interested in autonomous vehicles.

Nothing more than a pipe dream would surely suggest that?

Maybe you can explain what you actually meant by that please as I seem to have misunderstood your statement?

Urgh why this topic again? Let it die until something new happens. It’s been done to death.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk