Were you driving on UK work in the 80s? If so NEED you!

Hi all,

I’ve been working on a series of features for Truck & Driver magazine looking at the kind of bog-standard UK-only driving everyone forgets about, and how it has changed through the decades. I started with the 1960s, the 1970s is in this month’s issue, and now I’m putting together the chapter about the 80s.

Up until now I’ve always appealed for contributors in the Old Timers forum, but since my plea for 80s drivers only led to an argument about whether they actually count as “old timers” I figured I’d be better off asking in here. :blush: :blush: :blush:

All that will be involved is a 30 minutes-ish chat on the phone at some point this week…I have a couple of people already from elsewhere, so I only need one or maybe two more. Surely someone here would be up for it? Please? :grimacing:

I’m also on the hunt for images from the same era if anyone’s willing to share… :bulb:

Thanks guys…

Ps. Juddian, I saw your post on the first thread but you didn’t say whether you were actually up for a chat…Are you please? :smiley:

You started in the 60s ? Didn’t know the Internet excisted back then :smiley:

Oh, my aching sides Dan… :wink: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The 80’s/90’s was the best time in my driving career Lucy, I’ll send you something tomorrow.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Sorry didn’t read your post fully :blush: but I’m up for a chat on the phone.

Regards
Dave Penn;

If you can remember driving in the 80’S you weren’t really there…

Those who were in their 40’s in the 80’s are likely retired. Those of us who were the newbies of the mid 70’s onward are still here, mostly.
Having some memories, not yet as befuddled as the Donkey thinks they should be, I’d be up to bore you for a half hour.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Thanks Franglais, that’s great - have replied to your PM. :grimacing:

Dave, thanks to you as well - could you PM me a contact number please? :wink:

i started my career in transport in the 60s through the 70s…80s..90s until present day…only problem is i cant remember what i did last week…ha ha :smiley: :smiley:

i started my career in transport in the 60s through the 70s…80s..90s until present day…only problem is i cant remember what i did last week…ha ha :smiley: :smiley:

Maybe include an argument in the article between Bewick and myself as to why he thinks that driving a Leyland WF tipper on the council in the 1980’s was any different to doing the same job in 1960.Or how stripping a tilt and using it as a flat and sheeting it with the tilt cover was ‘easier’ than sheeting a flat in the 1970’s. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Im only a nipper i didnt start until 89

truckyboy:

And can’t remember you’ve posted this already! :grimacing:

How much are you paying■■?

Carryfast:
Maybe include an argument in the article between Bewick and myself as to why he thinks that driving a Leyland WF tipper on the council in the 1980’s was any different to doing the same job in 1960.Or how stripping a tilt and using it as a flat and sheeting it with the tilt cover was ‘easier’ than sheeting a flat in the 1970’s. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

Carryfast:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Theres your man Lucy, Carryfast could fill a full monthly magazine for at least 2 years.

There was a video on here and on utube a while ago, about drivers and there jobs etc,think it was in late 80s or early 90s, one fella stood out,think he had a burgandy coloured daf with a block trailer,chris perhaps? Was a good watch,but cant find it anywhere

Thanks all, I have the willing victims…er, volunteers I need now! :open_mouth: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I think you already have details of my 80’s driving in ‘Old trucking tales’ :wink:

switchlogic:

Punchy Dan:

Carryfast:
Maybe include an argument in the article between Bewick and myself as to why he thinks that driving a Leyland WF tipper on the council in the 1980’s was any different to doing the same job in 1960.Or how stripping a tilt and using it as a flat and sheeting it with the tilt cover was ‘easier’ than sheeting a flat in the 1970’s. :smiling_imp: [emoji38]

[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

Theres your man Lucy, Carryfast could fill a full monthly magazine for at least 2 years.

Especially if someone disagrees with him every dozen or so pages [emoji57]