Agency trials and tribulations

Looking for advice from those more experienced at agency work than I am.

I was booked for an 0700 start today at a parcel carrier in Rugby, I was told that it would be a guaranteed 8 hour shift, although it was only expected to take 5-6 hours.

When I got there at 0650 this morning, I reported to the Transport Office and was told “Oh no, we cancelled this yesterday, we sent the agency an email, didn’t they tell you?”

So I said “No, but you just sign my timesheet to say I arrived on time but am not required, and I’ll be on my way”.

I’ve emailed the agency my timesheet and I’ve told them I expect to be paid for an 8 hour shift today.

Is this reasonable or unreasonable?

Very reasonable. Also, if you don’t already do so, insist that all shifts, start times and ratez/minimum paid hours are confirmed by email or text message.

Very reasonable as their office staff can’t do their job or some one at parcel place is telling porkies and forgot to cancel ,
It’s not like we live in the mobile tech days now is it :unamused: if they couldn’t phone they could have texted or emailed you

Harry Monk:

I was booked for an 0700 start today at a parcel carrier in Rugby, I was told that it would be a guaranteed 8 hour shift, although it was only expected to take 5-6 hours.

When I got there this morning, I reported to the Transport Office and was told “Oh no, we cancelled this yesterday, we sent the agency an email, didn’t they tell you?”

So I said “No, but you just sign my timesheet to say I arrived on time but am not required, and I’ll be on my way”.

I’ve emailed the agency my timesheet and I’ve told them I expect to be paid for an 8 hour shift today.

Aint got much agency exp either Harry, but I would say you are entitled to your day’s pay if they promised you work.
For all they know you could have turned down a day elsewhere, so go for it I reckon…I know I would anyway.

Harry Monk:

When I got there at 0650 this morning, I reported to the Transport Office and was told “Oh no, we cancelled this yesterday, we sent the agency an email, didn’t they tell you?”

Hi Harry,

Happened to me on Friday (well it was the 13th!)

Turned up at 1500 to do an Oban trunk and I could see from the guys face he was ‘surprised’ to see me. He said we cancelled it. I rang the Agency and they said “You’ll still get paid”. Fine by me.

Yep, as others have said, you should still get paid. If you don’t, chase them until you do.

I agree with what others have said, it’s perfectly reasonable to expect to be paid 8 hours when a job is cancelled and you’re not told about it.

It happened to me a couple of times when I was on agency and I always got 8 hours pay.

I was double booked a couple of times on consecutive Sundays and received 8 hours at Sunday rates on both Sundays, I was really ■■■■■■ off the following Sunday when I had to stop and do some work for my money :smiley:

Of course you’ll get paid for your time (minimum 8 hrs as per your agreement with the agency). What you must now do though is to wait until your next shift with the same client, take the load out and do half the run, then decide that they are treating you unfairly and take it back to the yard (parking it outside the gatehouse for added dramatic effect). What could possibly be wrong with that?

Roymondo:
Of course you’ll get paid for your time (minimum 8 hrs as per your agreement with the agency). What you must now do though is to wait until your next shift with the same client, take the load out and do half the run, then decide that they are treating you unfairly and take it back to the yard (parking it outside the gatehouse for added dramatic effect). What could possibly be wrong with that?

I see what you did there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Worked on manpower 20 years ago and was given a 3 month contract for council at new Edmonton site.arrived for start day but site not finished so was put in britvic till site was ready .never did go there but was paid 8hrs for the 3 months of agreed contract plus britvic hours . Never got that lucky again

If it is that huge new place with 2 agencies in the building ,You will get a few mess ups like that.Complete incompetents .Best avoided. Notice how many trucks are parked up and i walked out before starting(If it is the same place)
And yes they will pay the 8 hours .

Don’t expect to be paid between 06:50 and 07:00 :wink:

Totally reasonable Harry.
The agency haven’t rang txt or emailed you normally a min 4 hrs before the shift you can expect 8 hrs pay as if you had been told earlier you could have sourced other work.

Dead right you want paying,its not your fault,you want paying for any potential loss of earnings by not being available to do other work due to their incompetence

Perhaps it’s worth naming and shaming those agencies on here that HAVE a policy of “If you turn up, and we forgot to cancel - you get paid” that then gets side-stepped when it actually happens because the CUSTOMER forgot to cancel… and has a conversation with the agency similar to this:-

“Look bud, we’re not paying for your wasted-time bod. If you press us - we won’t use your agency again to block book the huge number of drivers we take from you otherwise. Learn the politik here - and let the client get away with murder, as can you really afford to cross US?”

Supermarkets especially are guilty of acting like this ^^^^ of course.

Roymondo:

Nah, just do two hours and then take it back. Doing half a run is silly :grimacing:

Harry Monk:

Reasonable. It’s standard practice with reputable agencies.

Only time I didn’t get paid was when the agency I was working for, was subbing for another agency and both blamed each other.
Never worked for them again