Google maps as a GPS

I know there’s loads of satnav type questions on here but I’m struggling to find if anyone uses just Google maps and an actual truckers map to navigate?

I don’t really want to spend cash on a satnav if I don’t need to and tbh Google hasn’t ever really let me down but on the same side I’m used to doing the same routes so over time I’ve gotten to know them plus any diversions or alternatives and so on but I’m moving onto a broader type of haulage where I could be anywhere really.

P.S I do also plan ahead and research…

toonsy:
I know there’s loads of satnav type questions on here but I’m struggling to find if anyone uses just Google maps and an actual truckers map to navigate?

I don’t really want to spend cash on a satnav if I don’t need to and tbh Google hasn’t ever really let me down but on the same side I’m used to doing the same routes so over time I’ve gotten to know them plus any diversions or alternatives and so on but I’m moving onto a broader type of haulage where I could be anywhere really.

P.S I do also plan ahead and research…

Not so much Google maps, but I find my truckers atlas really useful for diversions. Since my day nav doesn’t have live traffic, it keeps trying to turn me round, making it useless. Not that I use it much anyway.

Google maps will route the quickest route for walking, cycling, bus and car but not a lorry. Use it as an aid but follow it blindly and you will come unstuck quickly.

I am a new driver and find my cheap ebay satnav and atlas does the job. As above it doesn’t have traffic so can often try to send you where you’re avoiding. Its not perfect on height/weights but I use my eyes for those.

I have found Google maps useful though for finding the actual place as some places I go in the fens a post code can cover a couple or more miles. Or the places that have tiny/no sign up

Use Google maps and check the route with your truckers atlas for low bridges etc. People who buy them sat navs for £300+ are being robbed.

If it’s a home system then google maps combined with street view is brilliant.But wouldn’t have a clue how how to use an ‘I phone’ which seems to be the only practical way to get it all while out on the road ?.In addition to the expense of data charges.In which case probably still can’t beat good old school paper maps especially with LGV type obstacle information on them.

Yeah the data is a worry. I"d hazard a bet my allowance gets munched through pretty quickly.

Generally I have a decent nose for where I’m going and onky usr it to check traffic/closures etc before I leave or on breaks as I say I’ve no real need for anything at the moment as it’s often the same places I go to.

Might just stick to my tried and tested research principle because it’s not let me down so far (well once or twice in 12 or so years professional driving lol) but with going to new places I’m trying to have a backup

Google maps to see the delivery point and see if it is a drive or reverse in, if a reverse then i find a route that puts me on a good side reverse in.
Google maps really helps when looking for a place to park up for the night.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

yeah i use google maps as a sat nav on my phone ,but only in my car , its ideal for that
I have a proper phone holder glued to the dashboard so its handy if i ever need to use google maps to go somewhere or to get home via the quickest route ,
but i wouldnt use it in the cab for work apart from checking the road approaching a customers premises on streetview
for a truck driver your best bet is the go professional 520 , free lifetime traffic , maps etc , avoids closed roads and bridges ,congestion etc , you will always be on the best and quickest route , which could alter due to circumstances automatically , while en route , it asks you first of course , and reads your whats app messages out loud if you say yes when it asks you
cost ,less than 200 quid

bubsy06:
Google maps to see the delivery point and see if it is a drive or reverse in.

Works for me.

Ken.

villa:
yeah i use google maps as a sat nav on my phone ,but only in my car , its ideal for that
I have a proper phone holder glued to the dashboard so its handy if i ever need to use google maps to go somewhere or to get home via the quickest route ,
but i wouldnt use it in the cab for work apart from checking the road approaching a customers premises on streetview
for a truck driver your best bet is the go professional 520 , free lifetime traffic , maps etc , avoids closed roads and bridges ,congestion etc , you will always be on the best and quickest route , which could alter due to circumstances automatically , while en route , it asks you first of course , and reads your whats app messages out loud if you say yes when it asks you
cost ,less than 200 quid

Where’s the best place to buy this, Cheapest I’ve seen it is £259

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I think that “less than 200 quid” one is the car version - i.e. no low bridge/weight limit avoidance and routing via totally unsuitable back roads etc. The “Professional” version is about 60 quid more.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I got the tt 6000lte from the famous very ■■■■ up for about £160 but I also use Google maps occasionally to plan my routes as sat navs are never perfect in routing.
You can get an add on for Google maps that shows Most bridges
google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe … 000034&z=5
Used with caution it’s a handy tool to have.

Resident expert required for this thread.

Roymondo:
I think that “less than 200 quid” one is the car version - i.e. no low bridge/weight limit avoidance and routing via totally unsuitable back roads etc. The “Professional” version is about 60 quid more.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Cheers [emoji106]

Seriously thinking about it , I’ve still got a TomTom from about 8 years ago that I’ve not used for years but a new job where I’ll be doing more distance plus it’s a new toy lol

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

toonsy:

I do, have done for quite a few years now. It just keeps getting better and better and most of the time all I have to do is put in the name of the business and the town.

As with anything you’ve got to use a little common sense with it. Coming down the A167 from Consett it wanted to send me down a few 7.5t limits to get to the A1 to shave a few seconds off. I ignored it wanting to send me on the A177 which actually would’ve saved me time given the A1M was closed southbound and I went on the A689 which the A177 links to.

As for the data, it doesn’t actually use that much. I doubt that leaving it running all the time you’d come close half a gig a month. I ran it all the time, kicked the hell out of Spotify streaming A LOT and watching the odd bit of Youtube on a 45 and typical monthly use was around 5-6GB all in, I think the highest I had was 8GB.

Just having a think. Most smartphones will actually tell you how much data each app has used. Usually there’s an icon for data usage. Open that up and have a scroll down.

Google maps is what most will use in conjunction with a Satnav, great for street views etc, would be data hungry to use all of the time for most who may have a lesser data contract. Best option is CoPilot truck which is an off line map and data usage is minimal for the traffic part of it. I use Google maps and CoPilot in conjunction of each other. Like all SatNavs you have to treat them as dumb and check your route with a traditional map.

I use google maps and a truckers atlas. I always look up the route to check for low bridges and just reroute as required.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

UKtramp:
Google maps is what most will use in conjunction with a Satnav, great for street views etc, would be data hungry to use all of the time for most who may have a lesser data contract. Best option is CoPilot truck which is an off line map and data usage is minimal for the traffic part of it. I use Google maps and CoPilot in conjunction of each other. Like all SatNavs you have to treat them as dumb and check your route with a traditional map.

As good as paper maps are (I wouldn’t be without mine), they can be out of date very quickly.
Nothing beats a mk1 eyeball!