Reefer question..

Pulling one of Bakkavor Ibericas reefers next week being loaded with tomatos. We occasionally pull for B.I but its always frozen. Yes the transport orifice should be briefed but… (goes in one ear and lost in the other sometimes :unamused: ) and it maybe on the paperwork but i need to know for sure the temperature to set the thermostat at, now is it the domestic fridge temperature ie 3-5 degrees or maybe higher? Obviously dont want to be held responsible for a ruined load.
Any help here appreciated… :wink:

Might be struggling a bit here Andrew.
Nobody on here we know knows anything about fridges.
Never heard them mentioned before. :smiley:

You need a definitive answer from someone more official than people on here tbh like someone from where you are collecting them from,I used to fetch bananas from Ffyfes in Coventry and we had to have the fridge set at 14 degrees…yes 14,thought they were taking the ■■■■ when they told me.
Tomatoes are not sold from fridges in supermarkets so I’d assume they are kept at a higher temperature than a fridge during transportation.

Never put tomatoes in a fridge at home. Temp (3 or 4) is too low and will destroy the flavour, and when the temp rises again the flavour wont return. Apart from that I dont know nofink.

robroy:
Might be struggling a bit here Andrew.
Nobody on here we know knows anything about fridges.
Never heard them mentioned before. :smiley:

:grimacing::wink:

I work in catering and we store all our fresh toms in the walk in fridge between 1 and 5 degrees centigrade. They’d spoil to quickly if kept at ambient.

I’m sure that’s not useful information and only muddies the waters.

Edit. Brakes deliver ours as part of the fridge stock. The ambient, fridge and frozen come as separate cages. So I guess brakes expect tomatoes to be refrigerated. Dunno if that will apply to the bulk movement of them. Sorry still not helpful [emoji12]

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Well I am going to fall for this but anyway here goes just in case you are serious. Tomatoes do not need to be refrigerated but they do require temperature control during transporting these goods as you need to not only keep the flavour but they need to be kept in a good condition. In the winter it is easier to transport these and store them, in the summer there are lots of variables too many to discuss here. A typical temp setting would be from 10 deg c to 15 degc. This is also dependent on a few factors of ripeness from green to red. You need not look too far for a refrigeration expert on here. The tomato is a favourite fruit of mine to study, I was actually commissioned to do a study on storing and transporting tomatoes as they are a very delicate produce. Your post is really interesting to me although I do suspect it is a ■■■■ take!!!

Iv never worked on fridges, although it does interest me, but surely on fridge work it would say on the paperwork exactly what temp it must transported at.

Thus when paperwork is signed, handed over etc, someone is always accountable?

Concretejim:
Iv never worked on fridges, although it does interest me, but surely on fridge work it would say on the paperwork exactly what temp it must transported at.

Correct.

Concretejim:

Well I picked a frozen load up from McCains the other day nowhere on the paper work did it confirm this so obviously I double checked with the office bods but you are right it should say clearly on the notes.

UKtramp:
Your post is really interesting to me although I do suspect it is a ■■■■ take!!!

No its a serious Q. I really am pulling tomato’s sunday afternoon onwards to Calais. It’ll already be loaded when i go to hook up and obviously the fridge will be running and someone will have set the stat but i just need to know in my own mind that its at the correct temp. It could well be on the notes but i want to be sure…

AndrewG:

UKtramp:
Your post is really interesting to me although I do suspect it is a ■■■■ take!!!

No its a serious Q. I really am pulling tomato’s sunday afternoon onwards to Calais. It’ll already be loaded when i go to hook up and obviously the fridge will be running and someone will have set the stat but i just need to know in my own mind that its at the correct temp. It could well be on the notes but i want to be sure…

Get the boss man or the customer to give you an answer, written preferably. Sometimes the CMR has it, if it doesn’t I’ll get the place I’m loading to write it on it, covers my back so I can shrug and point If anyone gets moany.

A.

Adonis.:

AndrewG:

UKtramp:

Get the boss man or the customer to give you an answer, written preferably. Sometimes the CMR has it, if it doesn’t I’ll get the place I’m loading to write it on it, covers my back so I can shrug and point If anyone gets moany.

A.

Even a text will cover you nowadays.

UKtramp:

Adonis.:

AndrewG:

UKtramp:

A.

Even a text will cover you nowadays.

Texts are fine, as long as you have something to let you pass the blame.

A.

Adonis.:

AndrewG:

UKtramp:

A.

This is the problem mate, trailer will already be loaded ready to go and the office is pretty lax/useless on such matters, you get the paperwork handed to you and thats it, youre just expected to know. Hoping the CMR has it…

AndrewG:

Adonis.:

AndrewG:

UKtramp:

A.

This is the problem mate, trailer will already be loaded ready to go and the office is pretty lax/useless on such matters, you get the paperwork handed to you and thats it, youre just expected to know. Hoping the CMR has it…

They will have the temp on the CMR Andrew, tomatoes are tricky little fellas to keep without damage.

AndrewG:

Adonis.:

AndrewG:

UKtramp:

A.

If that’s the case just keep it at what it’s at, any fruit I’ve lifted does have it on the CMR, if it doesn’t you’ll just have to hope whoever loaded it asked the loaders.

A.

Tomatoes +5~~+7

Bananas +13 content

Potatoes +8~~~+10

Flowers +7

Sausages fresh 0

bald bloke:

Concretejim:

Well I picked a frozen load up from McCains the other day nowhere on the paper work did it confirm this so obviously I double checked with the office bods but you are right it should say clearly on the notes.

Correct,
Have full load pumpkins on now and nowhere on POD does it state temp!!![emoji52]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

every co runs the same stuff at different temps…ask the q…get an answer,and your bums covered…its not uncommon to lift a load of ambient/chiled out of the supermarkets for northern ireland for the already loaded and running fridge to be set at minus 23 as thats what the previous load came over in…once they notice that and everythings frozen solid,then it goes back to belfast,gets emptied outside in the yard till it defrosts,then delivered as if nothing was wrong.they will take a penalty for late delivery which is much less that a completely rejected load…ask the q and cover your bum…on the other hand.lift it,say nothing,and you will have plenty of time to kill once they reject it and your office try to find somewhere to tip it… :slight_smile: