Would you take the truck back?

Been limping over the last few weeks and today I did a shift for Culina, Port Salford. I actually did a shift for them on Saturday and some of the load went over and I was asked to return it to the depot.

Went back in yesterday and did 3 drops in the North East with no issues whatsoever. They asked me to come back in this morning (0700 start) which I did, 2 drops- Preston and Bolton. Set off for Preston and I was just approaching the drop (James Hall) when my personal phone rang, so I pulled into the services next door. It was my agency who said that Culina had rang them and noticed from the telematics that I had ’ speeded ’ on a number of occasions yesterday. As a result of a partially shot load on the Saturday and these ’ speeding ’ reports from yesterday’s telematics, they wanted me to do a ’ driving assessment ’ next week for them :unamused:

I asked the agency lad if it would be paid (not that I would demean myself by doing one anyway :grimacing: ), and he replied " No " :open_mouth:

So I explained that he should contact Culina and tell them that only slaves and prisoners should work for free. I then bought a paper, turned the wagon around, and drove it straight back down the motorway and parked it outside the security hut.

I handed the truck keys to the security lad and got in my car and came home for a nice cup of tea. So, what would you lot have done?

Exactly the same, in fact I think you were quite conservative in driving the vehicle back to them unless it was best for you with your getting home. I have many times simply walked away from jobs that do not suit me. Good on you I say.

UKtramp:
Exactly the same, in fact I think you were quite conservative in driving the vehicle back to them unless it was best for you with your getting home. I have many times simply walked away from jobs that do not suit me. Good on you I say.

Exactly that mate, my car was in their car park.

Otherwise I would have beached it in a wet farmers field and got a train home.

eagerbeaver:
Been limping over the last few weeks and today I did a shift for Culina, Port Salford. I actually did a shift for them on Saturday and some of the load went over and I was asked to return it to the depot.

Went back in yesterday and did 3 drops in the North East with no issues whatsoever. They asked me to come back in this morning (0700 start) which I did, 2 drops- Preston and Bolton. Set off for Preston and I was just approaching the drop (James Hall) when my personal phone rang, so I pulled into the services next door. It was my agency who said that Culina had rang them and noticed from the telematics that I had ’ speeded ’ on a number of occasions yesterday. As a result of a partially shot load on the Saturday and these ’ speeding ’ reports from yesterday’s telematics, they wanted me to do a ’ driving assessment ’ next week for them :unamused:

I asked the agency lad if it would be paid (not that I would demean myself by doing one anyway :grimacing: ), and he replied " No " :open_mouth:

So I explained that he should contact Culina and tell them that only slaves and prisoners should work for free. I then bought a paper, turned the wagon around, and drove it straight back down the motorway and parked it outside the security hut.

I handed the truck keys to the security lad and got in my car and came home for a nice cup of tea. So, what would you lot have done?

Prisoners get paid to work.

Good for you for standing up for yourself. I thought you had a permanent gig?

Captain Caveman 76:

eagerbeaver:

Prisoners get paid to work.

Good for you for standing up for yourself. I thought you had a permanent gig?

I did. And it turned out to be absolute w@nk so I flocked it off :grimacing:

I’m already exiting wagon driving anyway, just ■■■■ potting around whilst I decide on my next career :wink:

I would have explained to the monkey from the agency that my card is in the truck, I’ve been driving it today and I expect to be paid min 8hrs. As for the assessment, sure I’d go in for it on the day/time they want, but I want paying for my time while there, again if I’m doing that my card will be in the tachometer so I expect to be suitably paid.

I do however detect a little trolling

peirre:
I would have explained to the monkey from the agency that my card is in the truck, I’ve been driving it today and I expect to be paid min 8hrs. As for the assessment, sure I’d go in for it on the day/time they want, but I want paying for my time while there, again if I’m doing that my card will be in the tachometer so I expect to be suitably paid.

I do however detect a little trolling

No trolling at all pal. If you don’t believe me, phone Culina at Port Salford 0161 786 7765. The wagon’s reg was DX15 KBZ.

eagerbeaver:
I did. And it turned out to be absolute w@nk so I flocked it off :grimacing:

I’m already exiting wagon driving anyway, just ■■■■ potting around whilst I decide on my next career :wink:

There’s always a career at Costa, you’d never be too far from a decent coffee there! :grimacing:

Did the fridge get switched off by some scrotes in the services, and did yu not notice??

:grimacing: :sunglasses:

the nodding donkey:
Did the fridge get switched off by some scrotes in the services, and did yu not notice??

:grimacing: :sunglasses:

I got lucky mate. UKTramp was on a 45 there and did a full overhaul for me.

Fair play to you…

If I aint getting paid for doing it, it aint gonna happen.

I understand your actions but you are being ripped off anyway … You work for an agency.

Pat Hasler:
I understand your actions but you are being ripped off anyway … You work for an agency.

I am in a fortunate position financially Pat, but I do agree with you. Agencies are parasites.

I take it the day’s pay question you had with the agency was over the telephone?

An e-mail to the agency asking for payment should see you right. If they then refuse you have written proof they have broken the law. Then you have options.

Don’t expect to work for the agency again. But hey this is working in 2017 Great Britain and you have just been exploited.

Edit: this is for hours already worked.

Am I being a bit thick here beav.
Were they not paying you for the shift where the load slipped, the proposed asessment, or both?
Either way I see your point btw, time at work should be time paid.

How did the load “go over” on the first shift?

Got to see it from Culina’s perspective…they’ve had a partially shot load, and their telematics has reported some “speeding” events.

By abandoning the run and returning to the depot, you have probably just confirmed their opinion of you. Even if you, quite rightly, objected to the unpaid assessment, the mature thing would have been to finish the run off, rather than spitting your dummy out and going home.

But then it doesn’t surprise me as it seems to be growing trend, especially amongst drivers of a certain generation, that they cannot be questioned and woe betide the person who suggests that they might have room for improvement in the performance of their duties.

But I also suspect there is an element of trolling in this post and I have probably just fed the troll. Sorry.

robroy:
Am I being a bit thick here beav.
Were they not paying you for the shift where the load slipped, the proposed asessment, or both?
Either way I see your point btw, time at work should be time paid.

I got paid for Sat no problem mate. I had 4 pallets of milk shakes & beans etc for ASDA Washington (1st drop). Delivered no problem.
I then had 8 pallets of pesto (in small jars) which had started to shift around (for the 2nd drop at ALDI Darlington). I phoned Culina and explained that the pallets were starting to shift, what did they want me to do? Got told to try it anyway.

Obviously when I got there the stuff was all over the place :open_mouth: The curtainside trailer they had given me had some weird bungee cord internal strap things linked to a bit of mesh :open_mouth: They wouldn’t hold a corn flake packet closed FFS! :unamused:

Went back up to the NE again yesterday with no issues, but because I let her run down a couple of downhill sections on the A1 (no infringement though), the bored people have started to cry because I have exceeded 53 mph :laughing:

So they want me to do an UNPAID driving assessment next week for them :unamused: So today I simply gave them their crappy truck back and ■■■■■■ off home :laughing: Get some other knobhead to be treated like a child…fools :wink:

DonutUK:

Got to see it from Culina’s perspective…they’ve had a partially shot load, and their telematics has reported some “speeding” events.

By abandoning the run and returning to the depot, you have probably just confirmed their opinion of you. Even if you, quite rightly, objected to the unpaid assessment, the mature thing would have been to finish the run off, rather than spitting your dummy out and going home.

But then it doesn’t surprise me as it seems to be growing trend, especially amongst drivers of a certain generation, that they cannot be questioned and woe betide the person who suggests that they might have room for improvement in the performance of their duties.

But I also suspect there is an element of trolling in this post and I have probably just fed the troll. Sorry.

It’s called ’ self respect ’ mate. Google it :wink: Like I said to Pierre…phone Culina and ask them if you don’t believe me Chief.

Very sad indeed that you think having a backbone is a trolling attempt :neutral_face:

eagerbeaver:

DonutUK:

It’s called ’ self respect ’ mate. Google it :wink: Like I said to Pierre…phone Culina and ask them if you don’t believe me Chief.

Very sad indeed that you think having a backbone is a trolling attempt :neutral_face:

Having a backbone would have been to finish the shift and then ask Culina what the problem was?

Chucking your toys out of the pram and going home solved nothing, probably cost you the days pay and potentially may cost the agency their contract with Culina…which could impact other drivers.
But hey, you feel all big and better about yourself so who cares eh?

Totally support the stance of not doing an unpaid assessment…just not the spitting out of the dummy.

Oh beaver. Maybe being a tad more cautious about the load would have cured half the issue.

As for the overspeed issues it is sadly going to be commonplace with a lot of haulage companies that value their o licence. Having said that we had a stint if going on the wall of shame for OS and I’ve half a few lately but try to keep it under 60mph all the time and nothing has been said or any new page of shame has gone up for a fair while.

Assessment then yes you should expect paying for your time, but if they want you to do an assessment you can’t really argue the toss over the why, after all they are the payer.

I’m sure a smaller haulage outfit would be more your cup of tea by the sounds of it. Although you say you are working out your replacement career so it’s all probably academic anyway.