Fed up bus driver of 17 years time for a change

Hi folks first post, I’ve been driving buses in Glasgow for last 17 years but can’t handle the public anymore the job is going down hill rapidly. I don’t mind driving I don’t mind long hours and I’m used to working all shift patterns and I’ve always wanted to sit my HGV exam but kids mortgage and life got in the way I’m now just turned 43 and now or never but before I jump is trucking a career I want to take. I love driving as I said long hours not a problem but as a new driver is it hard to get a start also would 17 years of driving buses be of any help to getting a job. Any advice would be great cheers.

Bigdee:
Hi folks first post, I’ve been driving buses in Glasgow for last 17 years but can’t handle the public anymore the job is going down hill rapidly. I don’t mind driving I don’t mind long hours and I’m used to working all shift patterns and I’ve always wanted to sit my HGV exam but kids mortgage and life got in the way I’m now just turned 43 and now or never but before I jump is trucking a career I want to take. I love driving as I said long hours not a problem but as a new driver is it hard to get a start also would 17 years of driving buses be of any help to getting a job. Any advice would be great cheers.

You end up doing more sitting around waiting to be tipped or for notes mate than driving to be honest :frowning:

Sounds even better now.

Just think when you become a truck driver you can finally flash us in :unamused:

With that kind of experience you’ll be a shoo-in for any job involving livestock haulage.

17 years of driving buses in Glasgow believe me I’ve picked up plenty of cows and a few wild beasts

Sidevalve:
With that kind of experience you’ll be a shoo-in for any job involving livestock haulage.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: And the livestock will be cleaner passengers too. Go for it mate, I came off the buses for pretty much the same reason. You’ll have no drunks, no-one paying for a two quid fare with a twenty pound note and no drunks

You’ll be fine getting a start, may not be your first choice of job or the best paying but you’ll get started with plenty around Glasgow.

A.

Carrying ‘cargo that talks’ is the worst thing to carry…!!! :imp:

But do remember that a lay-by is not a bus stop. :wink:

If you go on the dust carts remember that the zb goes in the back.

Thanks for all the replies, want to do it just worried about such a career change and obviously having to sit to tests :open_mouth: but I think my minds made up. The last week I’ve been complemented on my driving more times than the previous 17 years I’m back to push pull slow on bends and mirrors signal maneuver rather than signal mirror maneuver.

Hello Bigdee good luck with your change.
No problem with your experience.

Quick question though.

I travel the country a lot sometimes by truck sometimes in a car and when in Cities we tend to use local buses.
Big city in Scotland (not Glasgow) and I find a lot of bus drivers not so good.
Why can’t they use air brakes correctly! No progressive braking. It’s on off on off with passengers struggling to cope!
30 mph speed limits are never adhered to. They all seem in such a rush. I have heard with Stagecoach you are pushed for time but surely not to the point of having to break limit?

Not having a go at you fella but any idea why we have these conditions?

Honestly it’s very rare to find a decent driver.
At present on a bus in Yorkshire and this guy using brakes as he should.
I am puzzled. Could it be down to lack of proper training and testing?

Dr Damon:

Quick question though.

I travel the country a lot sometimes by truck sometimes in a car and when in Cities we tend to use local buses.
Why can’t they use air brakes correctly! No progressive braking. It’s on off on off with passengers struggling to cope!
30 mph speed limits are never adhered to. They all seem in such a rush. I have heard with Stagecoach you are pushed for time but surely not to the point of having to break limit?

I am puzzled. Could it be down to lack of proper training and testing?

So you’ve character assasinated all truckers, now it’s the bus drivers turn,… motor bikers brace yourselves. :smiley:

Just being honest. It really is bad.
Not all truckers…no.
Good and bad amongst all as I am sure you know.
It’s just the bad seems to be overtaking the good at a horrendous speed!

Quick question though.

I am puzzled. Could it be down to lack of proper training and testing? Your correct and I’m guilty myself of driving like a maniac it’s all down to being p****d off in your job and wanting to get off bus on time or finish on time so foot to the floor it’s not a excuse just the way job is. Company can’t hold onto drivers so pretty much taking new drivers and giving them a job if they pass pcv exam.

Cheers Bigdee and thanks for being honest.
Had a funny feeling that could be one the problem’s.

Bigdee…have you thought about National Express ? think theres a different customer base with those,

I had a spell on the buses a long time ago, with London transport, did the skid pan etc, but back in those days there were many plain clothes inspectors, who would travel various routes, and all unbeknown to a driver, they would sit where they can view the driver, and check his braking etc, they were also licenced, so if a driver was dangerous, they could empty the bus, tell the driver to sit inside and drive the bus back to the garage…the driver would then get a chance for re-training, or sometimes have to take another test…so i dont think theyre about anymore, and judging by the way drivers handle their brakes…i have even spoken to a driver about his harsh braking and asked whether there was a fault with the brakes…lol
All buses now have notices to tell tell passengers, stay seated till the bus stops but none to say the bus wont move till everyones seated.
There was a time when as part of a crew, we would wait till someone just gets on, the bell would go, then accelerate sending them from the back to the front in 2 seconds…ha ha or watch someone run for the bus, then drive off…or in the days of the open back buses, some idiot would jump on whilst we`re moving, just having left traffic lights etc, then watch as they go flying…another laugh was when we switched to being inside instead of a single cab…and having air doors, let them get off but lock the granny trolley inside…i always opened the door after, but little things made me laugh, and made my day…nothing too serious.

Dr Damon:
It’s just the bad seems to be overtaking the good at a horrendous speed!

Of course they do, they’re driving a lot faster!

Bigdee…have you thought about National Express ? think theres a different customer base with those,

I had a spell on the buses a long time ago, with London transport, did the skid pan etc, but back in those days there were many plain clothes inspectors, who would travel various routes, and all unbeknown to a driver, they would sit where they can view the driver, and check his braking etc, they were also licenced, so if a driver was dangerous, they could empty the bus, tell the driver to sit inside and drive the bus back to the garage…the driver would then get a chance for re-training, or sometimes have to take another test…so i dont think theyre about anymore, and judging by the way drivers handle their brakes…i have even spoken to a driver about his harsh braking and asked whether there was a fault with the brakes…lol
All buses now have notices to tell tell passengers, stay seated till the bus stops but none to say the bus wont move till everyones seated.
There was a time when as part of a crew, we would wait till someone just gets on, the bell would go, then accelerate sending them from the back to the front in 2 seconds…ha ha or watch someone run for the bus, then drive off…or in the days of the open back buses, some idiot would jump on whilst we`re moving, just having left traffic lights etc, then watch as they go flying…another laugh was when we switched to being inside instead of a single cab…and having air doors, let them get off but lock the granny trolley inside…i always opened the door after, but little things made me laugh, and made my day…nothing too serious. Want to get away from the bus game always wanted to do my HGV but life got in the way. Phoned a friend today 30 years experience in trucking he says go for it their are more jobs going in Glasgow area than rainy days all I need now is time off work was considering just diving straight in local training company have a package of Class C C+E Hiab ADR and CPC for £2900 spread over 20 working days(4 weeks) the pesimest in me says though how can they offer a package including C+E license if you keep failing Class C :smiley: