Stobart pay rates 2017/18

So, I applied for a class 1 job at Stobbies Trafford Park and they sent me their pay rates for 2017/18 :smiley:

Click the image to zoom in.

£8.68 ph basic? think I’ll pass

Okay.

In fairness to the lion taming, plate spinning crew, you do get £15 per day tax free thrown on top. So you end up with over £10 per hour.

eagerbeaver:
In fairness to the lion taming, plate spinning crew, you do get £15 per day tax free thrown on top. So you end up with over £10 per hour.

That whole £15 quid extra a day but being fair the job is ■■■■ easy.

Fair enough, but Stobbies are advertising the job on their site as: Equivalent Average: £10.44-£11.68 Tax Free (Meal Allowance: £15 per shift) which looks a bit misleading, or am I completely misunderstanding their point?

If you look past the hourly rate the take home isn’t that bad because of the meal allowance. Just need to remember when your on holiday you won’t get that. So if your happy to lose your meal allowance for 4 weeks of the year I don’t think it’s that bad overall.

Of course,the meal allowance makes it better…until you take holidays and that’s not then included :smiley:

Don’t they have to include the meal allowance now? As they pay your holiday pay on average earnings over twelve weeks and as you’d normally get that it is included for your average earnings? or is it just taxable pay?

Didn’t Stobarts have to back pay loads of drivers to compensate the average earnings they would of normally got?

It’s the uniform that puts me off not the wages

.l.

xichrisxi:
Of course,the meal allowance makes it better…until you take holidays and that’s not then included :smiley:

It is included in your holiday wage.

I don’t understand why Stobarts get such a bad rap as I really don’t see it as a bad thing in comparison to other firms. I have never worked for them but I wouldn’t rule it out. I have heard the work is easy and it isn’t all bad. How many firms nowadays provide a uniform, pay your expenses for CPC and tacho card etc. On top of that the kit looks pretty smart too. Just cannot work out what’s wrong?

xichrisxi:

This is exactly what I’m getting at, take out the meal allowance which isn’t really part of the wage and the hourly basic is bloody ridiculous, and they wonder why they keep needing drivers. Why the hell don’t these companies just pay a decent hourly basic. Stagecoach and Arriva are paying in excess of £11 ph just for sitting on your arse, yet lorry driver’s are expected to put up with all sorts of crap for sub £10 ph

60 hours, 4 nights out and the tax free meal allowance… doesn’t even crack £600 p/w take home :cry:

Stobarts pay around the same as most general hauliers, the money is just made up differently from one firm to the next. Ask any driver working for one of the big firms what their take home is & its usually more or less the same. Barely a ■■■ paper between them and stobarts certainly never come off the worst overall.

Do you get docked the hour for meal relief each day?

If you did, and then you got the £15 meal allowance tax free - isn’t that a bit dodgy from HMRC’s point of view?

rob22888:
Stobarts pay around the same as most general hauliers, the money is just made up differently from one firm to the next. Ask any driver working for one of the big firms what their take home is & its usually more or less the same. Barely a ■■■ paper between them and stobarts certainly never come off the worst overall.

Perhaps we should compare “Like for Like”… There must be some place outside London in the UK where all major hauliers have a vehicle operating depot within a few miles radius. Something like the Golden Triangle perhaps…

It’s high time we have actual Intel on what ALL firms were paying for like-for-like work at those depots.
If each firm dished out info like OP has done with this stobart thing - then we’d actually learn something!

There are going to be firms that pay poor hourly rates but meaty overtime for example. Others that pay low for monday-friday days, but meaty shift allowances… There have got to be many combinations, and I doubt if the perfect firm will ever get named on here - High hourly rate basic, Loads of overtime always available, and Meaty terms FOR that overtime (say, time and two thirds and upwards rather than <1.5x)

Whay are the tax percentages different?

edwin catflap:
Whay are the tax percentages different?

It’s to allow for the fact that you don’t pay income tax on the first £211 of what you earn each week (Although you do pay NI). As a result, the more you earn the higher the total %age of your pay gets deducted as tax.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Notice they are including your night out money as part of your “wage”…

Colin_scottish:

xichrisxi:

It is included in your holiday wage.

After speaking to a long standing driver for them last year Col, my understanding was that the only drivers who get the payment included in the holiday pay, were drivers who are members of the union that brought a case into court regarding ’ usual ’ payments that didn’t get recognised in respect of holiday pay :confused: