New GF driving a very large motor home

Now I am semi retired and have the time and inclination we went looking at a not to shabby LHD 8.4 M Carthago motorhome with a tag axle and a weight of 5 tonnes plus.
The new GF has never driven bigger than the Hybrid Toyota Auris she owns …who or where do I send her too to improve the ability of her skills as damaging it would make me cry and me “teaching” would result in being single again as you may think if it was you teaching your missus . Which driving school or instructor do I ask, or ■■? Ideas please.

Any is better than none

If it’s got a tag it’s got to be heavy ,
Where are you located ?
Peter smythe trading is a forum sponsor

So its basically a lorry and LHD to boot, that’s quite a big ask of the lovely lady in your life if the biggest thing she’s ever driven is an Auris.

As above, i’d be inclined to PM Peter Smythe, even if he’s not keen himself for some reason the man is very helpful.

As above, Peter Smythe. Im sure he can sort something

Does she know of your battle plan? Or is it dinner, for one, in the shed when you break the good news that you’re sending her to driving school :laughing: ?

Id be inclined to not let her drive it, does she have to? Or want to?

switchlogic:

I reckon it’s so he can get on the beers.

I’m sure she’ll be fine…

switchlogic:

She likes the idea of some training and wants to drive and double cabbing is useful on the long hauls to the far end of Italy etc etc.
Whether she will want to negotiate single track roads is another matter when it happens.
So It may be Pete Smythe if he is interested

The Caravan & Motorhome Club, and Camping & Caravanning Club offer a members motorhome driving course. These also give you a reduction in your insurance.

poleman:
The Caravan & Motorhome Club, and Camping & Caravanning Club offer a members motorhome driving course. These also give you a reduction in your insurance.

That’s interesting , thank you. The beast MAY yet get registered in France so the insurance bit may not be any good but nothing is yet decided.

Is the G.F. old enough to have a 7.5.tonner entitlement on her licence? :smiley:

I hired this one in the south of France during the summer - 8.5m / 6ton:

b346796d-943a-4ae4-ab03-52e5fbeb922e.jpg

As a practice run for when I retire, (aim to get something 9-10m long built on a 7.5t or possibly 10/12t chassis, hence getting my class C licence).
I finished my class C course & failed my first test. :blush: just before going - not a problem as my ‘grandfathers’ C1 entitlement covered it.
TBH it was more awkward to drive than Peter Smythe’s 12t Eurocargo - just as big, a sight less maneuverable, (fwd = turning circle like the Titanic) and only sported 2 of the 6 mirrors we’re used to. It had a reversing camera, but that was next to useless.

I drove a small camper van, (Ducato based 6m / 3.5t) round Austria/Bavaria last year, which was easy. Dare say I could have managed the tag axle beast without any help. but completing a class C practical course made it much, much easier.
If your GF has C1 entitlement, she doesn’t technically need anything more but I’d be amazed if she didn’t find it challenging.
As others have said, give Peter Smythe or a local driver training provider a try.
You may think my decision to get a class C licence is extreme, but when you’re inching something that size through busy traffic mindful of your 2000€ deposit it makes perfect sense.

This is a motorhome.

Pat Hasler:
This is a motorhome.

Pat Hasler:
This is a motorhome.

Youred definitely take elbows and mirrors off with the size of that ■■■■■■■ balcony, cant be good for fuel consumption either… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 wheeler:

poleman:

That’s interesting , thank you. The beast MAY yet get registered in France so the insurance bit may not be any good but nothing is yet decided.

Look carefully at registering costs for France. If the vehicle has a CoC with it that’s good, if not then it could be expensive getting it approved. I believe gas fittings would need checking too, more time and money, but am not sure about that.
UK cars are normally cheaper than Fr ones, but is that also true of camper vans? If you want a Fr reg one, do the maths carefully. Obviously a bigger choice of LHD in Fr too!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Watch the film with Robin Williams called RV, recreation vehicle.
The sewage pipe scene is a hoot.

Pat Hasler:
This is a motorhome.

That is not a motor home. That is Trump towers with some wheels leaning against the front door.

3 wheeler:

switchlogic:

She likes the idea of some training and wants to drive and double cabbing is useful on the long hauls to the far end of Italy etc etc.
Whether she will want to negotiate single track roads is another matter when it happens.
So It may be Pete Smythe if he is interested

Fair enough. At least she wants to which means she’ll probably put more effort into learning