Reason for loving this job

I have woke up this morning in my favorite place in the UK. What I love about this job is certainly the variety of places that I visit. When I was working in refrigeration I had traveled to some interesting places, but no time to enjoy the scenic views. I have been out early this morning and taken a lot of pictures and sat on the marina completely relaxed with a coffee. The drive in was hair raising but thrilling all at the same time, then you see the place I am at from the top of a hill all lit up below me. The bay was filled with trawlers and the lights were shimmering and reflecting across the very still and calm sheltered waters of the bay. What is there not to like about being a driver at times like this, I think it is very special.

Whitby?

AndieHyde:
Whitby?

You obviously Know me!!

I took the Mrs up there a few years ago, mostly because of the New Zealand/James Cook link. Being her first time in the UK, she was all about London but me, as a Yorkshireman, tried to show her that there is great places upT’north.
We took the old steam train from Pickering, but your right. It is a pain to get to.

Yep, getting paid for taking in the views across Europe is a big plus point to the job. Spending weekends in cities that people pay hundreds to go to (plus free digs) isn’t too bad either.

A.

FFS Tramp. Please tell us who you really are, I reckon you are one of the main players on this forum and the curiosity is killing me :laughing:

Keep up the good work :grimacing:

eagerbeaver:
FFS Tramp. Please tell us who you really are, I reckon you are one of the main players on this forum and the curiosity is killing me :laughing:

Remember what curiosity did to that cat, let us pray it is different for beavers!! :smiley:

UKtramp:

eagerbeaver:

Remember what curiosity did to that cat, let us pray it is different for beavers!! :smiley:

No, that was Dipper_Dave…

Be careful UKtramp, you are becoming one of them, grammar police Ha, eagerass, boaster,

eagerbeaver:

Dozy’s alter ego

UKtramp:
When I was working in refrigeration I had traveled to some interesting places,

You’ve worked in refrigeration? You should have said something.

Adonis.:
Yep, getting paid for taking in the views across Europe is a big plus point to the job. Spending weekends in cities that people pay hundreds to go to (plus free digs) isn’t too bad either.

A.

^
This
90% of the time its drop and swop Malaga/Calais return. Apart from northern France the weathers nearly always good. When i get bored with my usual i just tell the office and the week after its groupage to Portugal/ Zarragoza/Barcelona/ Valencia/Malaga. Weekends are spent on the beach and in the sun. Would i swop this lifestyle for anything else? Would i ■■■■… :smiley:

Adonis.:

A.

Probably the best part of the job.
For me it was parking up on the quay at Preveza after driving round the the bay and up through Arta in the summer time. Just awesome.

Pulling levers and pushing knobs to achieve efortless forward motion is a phenomenon that always thrills me.

Harry Monk:
You’ve worked in refrigeration? You should have said something.

I really don’t like to talk about it Harry, people get the wrong idea and think your showing off. I let it slip in this post but fully understand how you didn’t realise. I recall my days in the middle East where I earned a weeks driving wages within the hour. I have met with the Sultan of brunei and the Sultan of Oman, I have undertaken projects in the Yemen, Jerusalem and Kuwait. I also recall the destruction of Beirut which shook the refrigeration world as everyone boycotted the area for years afterwards. Oh I could tell you all some stories on here of my refrigeration days but I really don’t like to mention it. My days off shore were full of excitement and thrills back in the days of the oil boom, of course things are very different now and I put a lot of the decline down to my leaving it all behind. Anyways as I say I really don’t like to talk about it and hate name dropping. Oh Harry you bugger you have prised it out of me, I don’t believe I have ever mentioned my holding a gold card for complex Ammonia plants have I ? Once again it is something I don’t speak of nowadays, I really am a shy and retiring type that likes to fly under the radar. I may one day recite a few lines from the book I wrote on the subject if pushed. Any way not something I talk about so I will leave it here. Thanks for jogging my memory and only wished I could tell you some of my stories one day.

AndrewG:

Adonis.:

A.

^
This
90% of the time its drop and swop Malaga/Calais return. Apart from northern France the weathers nearly always good. When i get bored with my usual i just tell the office and the week after its groupage to Portugal/ Zarragoza/Barcelona/ Valencia/Malaga. Weekends are spent on the beach and in the sun. Would i swop this lifestyle for anything else? Would i [zb]… :smiley:

So, what happens to you when Brexit happens?

My guess is if Andrew is not on these shores he will be like Tom Hank’s in The Terminal. He might live out his day’s at a newly build customs site.

The only really good thing about truck driving most of the time is the places you see. I have woken up and opened my curtains to see…
The ■■■■■■■■■■■■, Death valley, Mexico across the Rio Grande, the Florida Keys from Homestead FL, Snow in Texas the Cascade mountains, a desert road with no sign of life for hours and really hot then snow at 8,000 feet on the same day, roads that are dead straight for hundreds of miles with just the odd diner every 60 or so miles, The Rockies, the great salt lake, Las Vegas, various Indian reservations, virtually the whole east coast, driven the whole length of I-90 from Seattle to Boston, most eastern side cities in Canada and into Nova Scotia, I have not seen Alaska and doubt I ever will now.
In my last job in the UK I woke up next to Loch Ness, Lands End, John O’Groats, St Davids, Holyhead, Londonderry harbor, I have driven across Europe, seen The Sahara desert and Morocco.
I never get tired of seeing new things.

Apart from that truck driving ■■■■■.

the nodding donkey:

AndrewG:

Adonis.:

A.

^
This
90% of the time its drop and swop Malaga/Calais return. Apart from northern France the weathers nearly always good. When i get bored with my usual i just tell the office and the week after its groupage to Portugal/ Zarragoza/Barcelona/ Valencia/Malaga. Weekends are spent on the beach and in the sun. Would i swop this lifestyle for anything else? Would i [zb]… :smiley:

So, what happens to you when Brexit happens?

Nothing mate, ive been over here now longer than ive lived in the UK, i dont rely on anything from the UK that includes healthcare, im on the Spanish tax system,speak fluent French and Spanish and have my own place here outright. The only tie i have in the UK is my house which is rented out ,just literally carry on as i am :wink:

Pat Hasler:
The only really good thing about truck driving most of the time is the places you see. I have woken up and opened my curtains to see…
The ■■■■■■■■■■■■, Death valley, Mexico across the Rio Grande, the Florida Keys from Homestead FL, Snow in Texas the Cascade mountains, a desert road with no sign of life for hours and really hot then snow at 8,000 feet on the same day, roads that are dead straight for hundreds of miles with just the odd diner every 60 or so miles, The Rockies, the great salt lake, Las Vegas, various Indian reservations, virtually the whole east coast, driven the whole length of I-90 from Seattle to Boston, most eastern side cities in Canada and into Nova Scotia, I have not seen Alaska and doubt I ever will now.
In my last job in the UK I woke up next to Loch Ness, Lands End, John O’Groats, St Davids, Holyhead, Londonderry harbor, I have driven across Europe, seen The Sahara desert and Morocco.
I never get tired of seeing new things.

Apart from that truck driving ■■■■■.

What are these prairie states like Pat? You read in Bill Bryson books about these small towns with a mom and pop gas station and maybe a diner, mile after mile of asphalt and endless corn fields etc… is it really like that? How do they treat you as a Brit?

If I won the lottery (better start playing it then) my dream would be to hire a Harley and ride it from shore to shore to shore, stopping in these hick towns for breakfast etc.

You’re sort of already living it :laughing: