Your mentor

I heard last night from a a driver at my old place that my mentor had passed away last week after a short battle to pancreatic cancer. He was a great guy and could be as cantankerous as they come. But he was the guy that took on this newbie and made sure he got his experience through. I worked with him for 4 years and I only left a couple of weeks ago. And I am thankful that he did.

My point is this in this day and age where it seems fron reading most newbies are just thrown the keys and asked to attend the wheel without oversight is having a good mentor an old fashioned idea.

Also did you have a mentor and where they a help?

I had a few mentors when I started.

My Dad showed me how to rope and sheet.

I had a couple of mates who were drivers so they helped me a lot also, best parking places for a good night out etc with the best pubs :smiley:

Another guy was also a great help, he was a bit older than me, he showed me a lot of get you home type repairs and other very useful stuff like best routes pre sat nav days.

Then another certain guy who was maybe not the best influence on me, he showed me how to disconnect the speedo, which fuse to take out to hide driving time, how to chain up an axle through a trailer floorboard, how to blank off a leaking brake chamber and many other habits of the time. :laughing:

robroy:
I had a few mentors when I started.

My Dad showed me how to rope and sheet.

I had a couple of mates who were drivers so they helped me a lot also, best parking places for a good night out etc with the best pubs :smiley:

Another guy was also a great help, he was a bit older than me, he showed me a lot of get you home type repairs and other very useful stuff like best routes pre sat nav days.

Then another certain guy who was maybe not the best influence on me, he showed me how to disconnect the speedo, which fuse to take out to hide driving time, how to chain up an axle through a trailer floorboard, how to blank off a leaking brake chamber and many other habits of the time. :laughing:

but the job got done Rob :wink:

Sorry to hear that, condolences to you.

I haven’t had a mentor specifically, but I’ve been fortunate enough that a few old hands have always popped up and helped me out with advice/assistance - without them, I’d have had a very tough time starting out. They also have a habit of popping up whenever I’m in the middle of making a ■■■ of myself, to look on in despair until issuing a ■■■■■■■■■■ and some advice :blush: :laughing:

My self appointed sort of mentor, one Dennis Cowell, died many years ago.

I’d cut me roping and sheeting (and luckily that London) teeth on vans and 7.5 tonners (or 3 tonners as we called them then) but when i got onto artics he befriended me, held my hand, took the ■■■■, a lot, and generally helped me find me feet in my first year or two, and i shall always remember him fondly.

Never had one unfortunately, always been a ‘chucked in at the deep end, just get on with it and figure things out as I go along’ kinda guy, don’t get me wrong I’m quick to ask for advice or help as and when I need it, just never had one specific mentor.

My mentor was on heavy haulage, nearto 90 ton gross, very quiet spoken man, I ended up his steers man,
I then moved to general haulage on same firm,yet another showed me how to sheet and rope, even how to dolly with out a hook!
That was back in the 60’s I’ve always rememberd his woods of wisdom.

My mentor was on heavy haulage as a mate/steersman, on 90 capacity girder tr ,he was a great man to work with,
His word of wisdom stay with me re my time on the road,
One example,off you don’t know ask, some one will know the answer…how true?

Sorry double post!not use to this

Had a couple of older guys along with my dad show me the way along the early days of my driving days.
Also had trucknets own newmercman help and advise me along a diversion of Canadian trucking which was very helpful and much appreciated

Noel Fisher was his name, very experienced guy from small rigid to STGO Cat 1, UK and European haulage, there was nothing this guy didnt know. You werent a driver in his book until you could rope and sheet in a gale or -10 with frozen rope, real old school and i owe a lot to him.
Sorry re the passing of your mentor…

my dad showed me how to rope/do the hitches…but I would say big George Raine RIP. (ex darlington guy),showed me the "way"after I passed my test. I can remember the look George would give me if I did something he considered not up to his standard. In Canada I was taken under the wing of an older driver who I was teamed with .Ken Heppner one of the best people I have ever met an all round good guy and a true professional driver.Once he realised I could drive he did his best to "tune " me into the Canadian way of doing things(many new Canadians try to change /question the way things are done and are seen as trouble) so once I dropped my attitude and stopped swearing as much lol. Even when out on my own Ken would phone up and check on me and when my dad died when I was on the road he was there for me. aye corny I know but all round good friend to me and my family. james