Recording weekly rest on analogue tachograph

Can anyone help? I started a new job in July with a small company where nobody really understands drivers hours or tachos. Vehicle has an analogue tacho which I haven’t used for about 10 years (it’s also a stoneridge which I’ve never used) July’s tachos just come back from analysis and they say I’m not recording my weekly rest. Should be straight forward as I work regular Mon - Fri 08.30 - 17.00. I have been drawing a line on back of disc with SWR but I never thought to set tacho to break before removing disc. Could this be the problem? If not, how do I record weekly rest on analog tacho? Thanks.

silverman:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but not worth starting a new one. Can anyone help? I started a new job in July with a small company where nobody really understands drivers hours or tachos. Vehicle has an analogue tacho which I haven’t used for about 10 years (it’s also a stoneridge which I’ve never used) July’s tachos just come back from analysis and they say I’m not recording my weekly rest. Should be straight forward as I work regular Mon - Fri 08.30 - 17.00. I have been drawing a line on back of disc with SWR but I never thought to set tacho to break before removing disc. Could this be the problem? If not, how do I record weekly rest on analog tacho? Thanks.

No analogue records recorded = rest … no need to do anything … it is that simple

Analysis company should know that

When on analogues I always put it onto rest for a minute or so before taking the disc out. It may not be necessary, but it may stop the analysis co. picking up on it?

ROG:

silverman:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but not worth starting a new one. Can anyone help? I started a new job in July with a small company where nobody really understands drivers hours or tachos. Vehicle has an analogue tacho which I haven’t used for about 10 years (it’s also a stoneridge which I’ve never used) July’s tachos just come back from analysis and they say I’m not recording my weekly rest. Should be straight forward as I work regular Mon - Fri 08.30 - 17.00. I have been drawing a line on back of disc with SWR but I never thought to set tacho to break before removing disc. Could this be the problem? If not, how do I record weekly rest on analog tacho? Thanks.

No analogue records recorded = rest … no need to do anything … it is that simple

Analysis company should know that

Franglais:
When on analogues I always put it onto rest for a minute or so before taking the disc out. It may not be necessary, but it may stop the analysis co. picking up on it?

I used to do the same and as far as I’m aware you’d have no problems doing so with a digital card either, except it is very easy to show the time as rest.

In the days of letters of attestation, which were used to show why there were gaps in your tacho records, it said that a missing record over a weekend could be assumed to be a weekly rest period, unless there was other evidence that the driver hadn’t been on rest.
Of course the official guidelines weren’t always a guarantee the person looking would follow them, however the principle is there that weekly rest doesn’t have to be recorded.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Will try putting tacho on rest before removing. I will see if I can look at the report from analyst as I feel that the problem is something else.

From the guidelines for letters of attestation.

Member States are not obliged to require the use of the form in the cases of lack of records, but if a form is required, this standardised form must be recognised valid. However, no form of any type shall be requested concerning ordinary daily or weekly rest periods.

The requirement for letters of attestation was done away with by EU reg 165/2014, and I suppose the requirement for weekly or even daily rest to be recorded could be argued.

Paragraph 1, says shall use use a record sheet for every day they are driving, not for every day?

Paragraph 3, says about manual recording, when away from the vehicle, now from previous reading I’d interprit that as away while on duty, not while on daily or weekly rest.

I suppose if you really want to clarify it you should contact DVSA, they will give thier interpretation, but will say it’s not legally binding, however if they agree with you, it would be a 2 finger to the analysis company.

Article 34
Use of driver cards and record sheets

1. Drivers shall use record sheets or driver cards every day on which they are driving, starting from the moment they take over the vehicle. The record sheet or driver card shall not be withdrawn before the end of the daily working period unless its withdrawal is otherwise authorised. No record sheet or driver card may be used to cover a period longer than that for which it is intended.
  2. Drivers shall adequately protect the record sheets or driver cards, and shall not use dirty or damaged record sheets or driver cards.
  3. When,as a result of being away from the vehicle ,a driver is unable to use the tachograph fitted to the vehicle, the periods of time referred to in points (ii), (iii) and (iv) of paragraph 5(b) shall:

do a manual entry, either on a disc or on a digi card, (not word for word, :laughing: )

I’ve split this topic from the Driver Hours feedback thread in the new drivers forum.

The way I see it is ‘‘They’’ don’t own you just because you hold a licence to drive a truck.
I book off for the weekend, and I remove my digicard,.same in the old days with the tachodisc, and that’s my weekly rest, and I put it back in when I start my new week.
If ‘‘they’’ have reason to believe I have driven a truck within that weekend, unfouded or otherwise, it is ‘‘their’’ job to prove it.
Last time I looked the law was innocent until proven guilty, and contrary to some attitudes on here towards tachos and rules, just to reiterate…They don’t own you !!,.
Also as far as I know we aint an Orwellian oppressed state yet, so to put it bluntly ■■■■ em, I’ll just carry on as normal, doing the same as you, until I’m told otherwise.

^^^^^ THIS

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

silverman:
Can anyone help? I started a new job in July with a small company where nobody really understands drivers hours or tachos. Vehicle has an analogue tacho which I haven’t used for about 10 years (it’s also a stoneridge which I’ve never used) July’s tachos just come back from analysis and they say I’m not recording my weekly rest. Should be straight forward as I work regular Mon - Fri 08.30 - 17.00. I have been drawing a line on back of disc with SWR but I never thought to set tacho to break before removing disc. Could this be the problem? If not, how do I record weekly rest on analog tacho? Thanks.

You need to ask the company how they want weekly rest periods to be shown on the charts.

When I used charts if a company insisted on weekly rest periods being shown I used to do it as in the image except that for weekly rest periods I’d write SWR or EWR instead of showing the start and end of duty time.

To be honest I’ve never bothered about changing the mode to rest before taking the chart out, if it’s what the company want then fine but you really need to find out what the company or the analysis company want.

as soon as the wheels stp,then im on break.as soon as my card is out im on rest.theres no need to prove it or to have a conversation about it apart from possibly being on holiday and heading out back to work in euroland,…the cards dont lie…(apparantly) :slight_smile:

Put in 2 blank cards with the dates on them endorsed as REST DAY

Manual entry’s on back - line on front daily or weekly rest (Sdr-edr , swr-ear) that’s all that’s required no need to put tacho on break.

robthedog:

No legal need to do that

robthedog:

But why?
If it was a statutory legal requirement I’m sure our mate Tachograph would know and state it on this thread,…he hasn’t, so where is the problem.
Do you not think that there are enough ■■■■ hoops we have to jump through as it is, with all the stupid and the pedantic regulations we have to adhere to without imposing other rules on yourselves that are totally uneccessary.
Your own time is your own time, to spend as you want you do not have to answer for it to anybody !!!
DVSA, your company, tacho enforcement co.s or any body else. :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:
To repeat myself yet again, just because you hold a truck licence…They don’t own you.
Jeez H :unamused:

nick2008:
Manual entry’s on back - line on front daily or weekly rest (Sdr-edr , swr-ear) that’s all that’s required no need to put tacho on break.

if your so much of a bean counter to want to do that,then how could you do it?
write them out on friday for the preceding 2 days…has to be illegal.
write them out on monday morning for the previous 2 days? has to be illegal
write them out each day? that would also be illegal as it would be classed in your world as other work,hence you wouldnt have a day off with about 25 tacho offences looming.
total pish my man…card out.your on rest.card in,your working etc.nothing more required.

dieseldog999:

nick2008:

In what way is this illegal ?
It’s not illegal to indicate the start or end of the weekly rest period on a chart, nor would it be illegal to write 2 charts for the none driving days on the Monday morning.

robroy:
Your own time is your own time, to spend as you want you do not have to answer for it to anybody !!!

I agree but I don’t think anyone is asking the OP to give up his own time to do it.

A company I drove for before digital tachographs came in gave us 6 charts every week, because most of us only worked 5 shifts we had to write our name on the unused chart and scribble unused on it then hand it in when we handed in the used charts, I believe it had something to do with the serial numbers on the charts being allocated to the driver.
Was it a daft rule, well from my point of view of course it was, but we did it in works time so why would anyone give a [zb] :smiley:

People generally complete tachograph charts in works time so I don’t see a problem with what the OP has been asked to do, the only real problem is that the company haven’t told him what they expect to be written on the charts.

When I used charts if a company insisted on weekly rest periods being shown I used to do it as in the image except that for weekly rest periods I’d write SWR or EWR instead of showing the start and end of duty time.

This is what I’ve been doing. Now I’ve confirmed this is correct I’ll ask them what they want. I assume they haven’t a clue and have misinterpreted something.

tachograph:

dieseldog999:

nick2008:

In what way is this illegal ?
It’s not illegal to indicate the start or end of the weekly rest period on a chart, nor would it be illegal to write 2 charts for the none driving days on the Monday morning.

robroy:

I agree but I don’t think anyone is asking the OP to give up his own time to do it.

A company I drove for before digital tachographs came in gave us 6 charts every week, because most of us only worked 5 shifts we had to write our name on the unused chart and scribble unused on it then hand it in when we handed in the used charts, I believe it had something to do with the serial numbers on the charts being allocated to the driver.
Was it a daft rule, well from my point of view of course it was, but we did it in works time so why would anyone give a [zb] :smiley:

People generally complete tachograph charts in works time so I don’t see a problem with what the OP has been asked to do, the only real problem is that the company haven’t told him what they expect to be written on the charts.

I think you miss my point mate, I didn’t think he was doing it in his own time, I just thought it absolutely unecessary to have to what amounts to having to accoun for your own time whilst off work, by stating on a card that you had not worked.
The fact that you have booked off and re.book on after your weekly rest should suffice for these people, you have already verified that it is not a legal requirement.

You well know my attitude towards a lot of this crap after previous discussions between us, and as I said, there are more than enough bloody stupid rules regarding tachos and driver’s hours as it is, without self imposing them, or worse still some ■■■■ in an office, making a rule up for no real or apparent reason other than to show his authority.
That was my point.