Strapping down loads

Any new drivers may find this tip useful. When using ratchet and straps, always store your straps on the drivers side storage bins and your ratchets on the kerb side storage bins. This will help keep your strapping down of loads by throwing your straps over the load from the drivers side and your ratchets on the nearside. I took a load this week to St Ives in Cornwall and wanted to check and tighten the ratchets before setting off to find whoever had loaded the curtain side trailer had mixed them up, some ratchets were on the kerb side and some were on the drivers side. Always keep the ratchets to the nearside. Just a good safety tip and well worth remembering.

Thanks

Actually some loads do need strapping both ways it all depends on the load so not at all correct!

tango boy:
Thanks

You may well feel this post is useless but it is a serious issue that can have dire consequences if not done like the shunter at our place had failed to do. Should know better but he didn’t.

UKtramp:

tango boy:
Thanks

You may well feel this post is useless but it is a serious issue that can have dire consequences if not done like the shunter at our place had failed to do. Should know better but he didn’t.

Used to load at a place where it was impossible to throw your straps from the near side resulting in ratchets onthe offside

UKtramp:
Any new drivers may find this tip useful. When using ratchet and straps, always store your straps on the drivers side storage bins and your ratchets on the kerb side storage bins. This will help keep your strapping down of loads by throwing your straps over the load from the drivers side and your ratchets on the nearside. I took a load this week to St Ives in Cornwall and wanted to check and tighten the ratchets before setting off to find whoever had loaded the curtain side trailer had mixed them up, some ratchets were on the kerb side and some were on the drivers side. Always keep the ratchets to the nearside. Just a good safety tip and well worth remembering.

Common sense mate… sadly lacking in a lot of steering jocks.

I once worked with a bloke who said: “There is no such thing as common sense.” Took me quite some time to accept that.

tango boy:
Actually some loads do need strapping both ways it all depends on the load so not at all correct!

One of our drivers was nearly prosecuted for dangerous driving and manslaughter because of loads strapped both ways. Some loads may well require both ways but the majority are required to be strapped ratchet side nearside.

UKtramp:

tango boy:

One of our drivers was nearly prosecuted for dangerous driving and manslaughter because of loads strapped both ways. Some loads may well require both ways but the majority are required to be strapped ratchet side nearside.

Where does it say it’s law

tango boy:

UKtramp:

tango boy:

Nothing to do with the law, it is for the drivers own safety.

Jingle Jon:

UKtramp:

Common sense mate… sadly lacking in a lot of steering jocks.

I once worked with a bloke who said: “There is no such thing as common sense.” Took me quite some time to accept that.

It is a sad fact that a lot is lacking with some drivers

UKtramp:

tango boy:

what has dangerous driving got to do with strapping■■?
sounds like RDC bollox to me

UKtramp:

tango boy:

UKtramp:

tango boy:

Nothing to do with the law, it is for the drivers own safety.

Why was he nearly prosecuted then you seem to be making things up

Toddy2:

UKtramp:

tango boy:

Talking out his backside lol

Toddy2:

UKtramp:

tango boy:

Nothing to do with RDC bollox, a driver had to stop on the hard shoulder of the motorway to tighten down his load, he was pulling on one of the ratchets which was on the drivers side and the strap broke. The driver fell backwards into the path of one of our drivers which resulted in the poor driver loosing his life and our driver was getting prosecuted for dangerous driving. Luckily his dash cam revealed what had happened.

Maybe a little less patronising and explain yourself a little clearer it may help you!

tango boy:
Maybe a little less patronising and explain yourself a little clearer it may help you!

What is patronising about any of my post or any of my posts? How much clearer can I be?

UKtramp:

tango boy:

What is patronising about any of my post or any of my posts? How much clearer can I be?

I don’t read most of your posts cos they’re tosh!

On some of my loads which are a mix of steel fabrication and timber i have to strap both ways because if i strap one way some of the load can move and then the strap looses tension and the load can move never ever been told by anyone that all ratchets have to be on nearside. I have used ratchet straps since they first came on the market. I understand why the ratchets should be on nearside but sometimes circumstanses mean it cannot happen

tango boy:

UKtramp:

tango boy:

I don’t read most of your posts cos they’re tosh!

What you reading this one for then? tosh to you maybe but good advice unlike your advice of strapping loads roadside. Perhaps if this driver had read this post he may still be alive. Also any new driver or even the ones like you who think you know it all is evident that you don’t!!

ianto:
On some of my loads which are a mix of steel fabrication and timber i have to strap both ways because if i strap one way some of the load can move and then the strap looses tension and the load can move never ever been told by anyone that all ratchets have to be on nearside. I have used ratchet straps since they first came on the market. I understand why the ratchets should be on nearside but sometimes circumstanses mean it cannot happen

This^^^^^^^^100%