Recovery driver killed

kentonline.co.uk/dartford/ne … us-132529/

Give them plenty of room you never know when your going to need them

RIP Fella…

I moved over this evening on the relatively quiet M50 for a guy recovering a tractor unit… 2 cars passed me on the inside, at a fair speed… and no, I didn’t pull out in front of them… Makes my blood boil…

The HGV driver who hit the recovery driver has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.

kentonline.co.uk/medway/news … ng-132567/

A 42-year-old man from Gravesend has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and remains in custody.

I remember the one on the M602 and more recently on the M1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor sod, just trying to earn a crust :frowning:
R.I.P…

RIP

RIP to the driver, always pull out when I see them on the hard shoulder but straddle the white line to prevent cars coming up the inside

I always try and get in lane 2 to pass anything with flashing lights on the shoulder (blue or orange) but it winds me up, the amount of trucks that don’t bother and I’ve even seen trucks move closer to the shoulder to scare the day lights out of who ever is in the shoulder. The 1’s that do this are complete morons. Give the flashing lights on the shoulder space, it could be you on there 1 day.
RIP to the chap that’s lost his life.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

I have Personal experience of an incident like this -not pleasant I can tell you, fortunately the 3 of us involved somehow escaped unhurt, but even now 32 years on every time I hear of incidents like this it sends a shiver down my spine.

RIP Drive

Would’ve cost nothing to give the poor bugger a bit of room. :frowning:

Kate:
RIP Fella…

I moved over this evening on the relatively quiet M50 for a guy recovering a tractor unit… 2 cars passed me on the inside, at a fair speed… and no, I didn’t pull out in front of them… Makes my blood boil…

I straddle the lanes to stop morons doing this. Poor Chap and poor family, the hard shoulder is such a lethal place

I did it this very day. A couple of guys putting cones out to protect themselves whilst about to do some roadside gardening, I slowed down and got out as far as I could so everyone could get on with their day with the minimum of disruption. The 3 cars following me however, staunchly stuck to their lane markings and the one behind me even went for the overtake.

Seriously, has the race to the bottom of the economy gotten to the point where some consider road maintenance workers “fair game” and all consideration is lost?

My condolences to the family of this needlesss incident.

It’s time the government changed the law, and all recovery vehicles as well as police,fire ambulance etc. had recording functions on vehicles and evidence given to the local force to prosecute drivers who do not move out, obviously educate and change the Highway Code etc. … use the variable message signs (vms). One life lost is one too many.

lizard:
I’ve even seen trucks move closer to the shoulder to scare the day lights out of who ever is in the shoulder. The 1’s that do this are complete morons.

How can you say that’s why they do it? Most likely explanation is that the steering simply follows the driver’s eyes - i.e. the vehicle goes in the direction that the driver is looking. It’s a very common phenomenon. The mistake being made is to concentrate on the object they are trying to avoid.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You can’t put a blanket law in making changing lanes compulsory, what qualifies the need to move over? if this was to be the case then it would require the lane beside a breakdown being officially closed if the breakdown was in process of being attended to and that just wouldn’t work out, they do this for offside wheel changes now, unfortunately half the drivers on the road in all vehicles don’t look further ahead than the vehicle in front at the best of times and couldn’t possibly see a situation developing let alone take appropriate action.

Yes most of us with a brain move over when its obvious a breakdown is being attended to, that’s only common sense but with the best will in the world when the roads are choc a bloc with vehicles…because we complicitly voted in traitors over decades who with our agreement surrendered our country to invasion of tens of millions without a shot being fired…then it isn’t always possible to do so, though we’ll try our best to keep as far over to the right of the lane if moving over isn’t possible.

I feel really sorry for anyone, and their families, who get hurt or killed on our roads just trying to do their job, but some jobs are dangerous by their very nature and anyone doing motorway breakdown work will be fully aware of what they are letting themselves in for.
There’s good reason at least one of the wombles attending a breakdown never take their eyes off the approaching traffic.

So called smart motorways arn’t going to help this, but they do have one saving grace in that where the hard shoulder was particularly narrow previously, such as in the oldest sections of motorway, they have been widened with the HS becoming a live running lane…how things work out in those sections as time goes on and traffic levels increase massively, remains to be seen.

discoman:
It’s time the government changed the law, and all recovery vehicles as well as police,fire ambulance etc. had recording functions on vehicles and evidence given to the local force to prosecute drivers who do not move out, obviously educate and change the Highway Code etc. … use the variable message signs (vms). One life lost is one too many.

Although this accident wasn’t on a managed or smart motorway if they put cameras on the ganteries that have the displays for speed and red crosses ect no one would pass them and would move over if there was points at risk .RIP driver

R.I.P sad news

Sad news RIP

I wonder what suspicions there were about the lorry driver who was arrested

mattecube:

Lorry driver may have wondered into recovery driver or vice versa so they have arrested on SUSPICION the only one they could do

Hopefully there is some camera/dashcam footage

Thoughts with recovery drivers family etc

ROG:

mattecube:

Lorry driver may have wondered into recovery driver or vice versa so they have arrested on SUSPICION the only one they could do

Hopefully there is some camera/dashcam footage

Thoughts with recovery drivers family etc

Always arrested when a death involved and esp when he hit a stationary vehical .