Gross tonnage per square metre

Does anyone know if there is a legal limit for the amount of trucks, artics, 18 and 7.5 tonne that are allowed to be in a depot yard.
Our yard constantly gets gridlocked with trucks, forklifts flying about, people wandering around and no one making any attempt to manage the situation.
The number of broken legs and injuries seems to be brushed under the carpet.
What I am interested in is if there is a figure that is the maximum permissible …something along the lines of x number of tons per y square metres…

Feel free to troll but any factual and knowledgeable answers would be very appreciated.

E=mc²

That would depend largely on the structure of the surface of the yard don’t you think. Is it what? Compacted ■■■■■■■■, tarmac, concrete, muddy sludge?

Think of it this way . . . The most dense material known to man is called ‘Heisenberrg’, on the periodic table of elements it comes somewhere between fukwittidellerium & lukeoforeum. If, by chance, this material ever found itself in a place where it thought the ground couldn’t support it, then the very fact that it only exists, purely in the imagination of its creator, means that it will never, ever find itself beyond its own level of intelligence.

Physics is so easy when you take a step back to become a lorry driver !

Heisenberrg:
Does anyone know if there is a legal limit for the amount of trucks, artics, 18 and 7.5 tonne that are allowed to be in a depot yard.
Our yard constantly gets gridlocked with trucks, forklifts flying about, people wandering around and no one making any attempt to manage the situation.
What I am interested in is if there is a figure that is the maximum permissible …something along the lines of x number of tons per y square metres…

Feel free to troll but any factual and knowledgeable answers would be very appreciated.

Our yard in Malaga is organised chaos, freight all over the yard, forklifts flying about, broken trailers being fixed (re bodged) trucks from all over Europe in and out of the yard and Paolo’s hound from hell guard dog taking a lump out of anyone he fancies…Uk H&S would have a field day…it all works well enough though… :grimacing:

AndrewG:

Heisenberrg:

Our yard in Malaga is organised chaos, freight all over the yard, forklifts flying about, broken trailers being fixed (re bodged) trucks from all over Europe in and out of the yard and Paolo’s hound from hell guard dog taking a lump out of anyone he fancies…Uk H&S would have a field day…it all works well enough though… :grimacing:

That is the correct answer.

Heisenberrg:

I think the limit is only for trucks stationed there. They can have as many tractors, trailers and/or rigids as their O-licence allows, and they have to be able to get on and off the public highway forwards. Never heard of restrictions on trucks visiting.

Dont think there are any restrictions as such, but if your company is O licenced for 20 vehicles and trailers, thats the amount that they are allowed, and any extras have to be accounted for, so maybe they allow for a fee any tom ■■■■ and harry to use it as a base too, so long as they also stick to their own allowance. i have worked in may yards where there are pot holes, obstructions from other vehicles that were given permission to park there, but so long as i can get in or out, it never bothered me…

Dork Lard:
That would depend largely on the structure of the surface of the yard don’t you think. Is it what? Compacted ■■■■■■■■, tarmac, concrete, muddy sludge?

Think of it this way . . . The most dense material known to man is called ‘Heisenberrg’, on the periodic table of elements it comes somewhere between fukwittidellerium & lukeoforeum. If, by chance, this material ever found itself in a place where it thought the ground couldn’t support it, then the very fact that it only exists, purely in the imagination of its creator, means that it will never, ever find itself beyond its own level of intelligence.

Physics is so easy when you take a step back to become a lorry driver !

The days must just fly by for you…

truckyboy:
Dont think there are any restrictions as such, but if your company is O licenced for 20 vehicles and trailers, thats the amount that they are allowed, and any extras have to be accounted for, so maybe they allow for a fee any tom ■■■■ and harry to use it as a base too, so long as they also stick to their own allowance. i have worked in may yards where there are pot holes, obstructions from other vehicles that were given permission to park there, but so long as i can get in or out, it never bothered me…

Thanks for the sensible answer.
Most mornings I have to get in the passenger door because the trucks are parked so tight…some days have less than a foot to open the door and try to squeeze in…surely this can’t be right ?

Heisenberrg:

truckyboy:

Thanks for the sensible answer.
Most mornings I have to get in the passenger door because the trucks are parked so tight…some days have less than a foot to open the door and try to squeeze in…surely this can’t be right ?

Sounds like the yard is not fit for purpose and your boss is cheaping out.

Given the OP’s username I assume that it is the uncertainty principle that he is concerned about. There is, as you all know, a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a vehicle, known as complementary variables, such as position x and momentum p, can be known.

(ħ is the reduced Planck constant, h / (2π)).