Crack in window, safe or not

I think it’s not safe to drive, yard potentially think otherwise, but it’s my call right? As it would be my fine and my points if pulled!?

Not legal I would say. And it’s up to the driver he will be the one getting in trouble by DVSA

Cracks in main view.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knightk386:
Not legal I would say. And it’s up to the driver he will be the one getting in trouble by DVSA

Cracks in main view.

Hope that helps

That’s what I think too, I said it’s an MOT fail, so unsafe, their argument is “if a brake light goes out that’s an MOT failure too!”

I dont think the 2 are comparable!

Just like if your window breaks on the road like that, it’s a repair required, if a bulb blows dVSA gives you a chance to change it there and then. If you can’t the they can look at fines.

That window could go the the point of a PG9 Probation notice, depending how nice they are feeling.

It’s there Olicence as well at risk.

OK to take it to get repaired, 40mm limit crack/chip size or 10mm if in drivers direct line of sight. Looks a right mess though :wink:.

Dipper_Dave:
OK to take it to get repaired, 40mm limit crack/chip size or 10mm if in drivers direct line of sight. Looks a right mess though :wink:.

Nice one Dave. I think that says it all.

its in you line of vision , its illegal

No worries, with cracks my usual rule of thumb is that if it’s bigger than three fingers I may need assistance.

tonyj105:
its in you line of vision , its illegal

+1 100%

Cheers guys, that confirmes my opinion!

Are you sure it is a crack, looks more like black marker pen to me :laughing:

Dipper_Dave:
No worries, with cracks my usual rule of thumb is that if it’s bigger than three fingers I may need assistance.

Anymore than 3 fingers and you’re looking at ■■■■■■■…

Line of vision ILLEGAL
Just to make sure put abit of light pressure on the crack so the line of it increases and touches the edge of the screen,then its definitely illegal.

Kick the windscreen out, no windscreen = no crack = no problem. :smiley:

But yeah, I’d definitely say the only place I’d drive that is to a quiet spot in the yard and wait for the windscreen repair van, may sound over dramatic to a certain Scot working for an Irish outfit, but I’ve had a Pigeon hit the windscreen dead on where that crack is, I bet the [zb]er would have come all the way through if my screen was cracked like in that picture, luckily all I was left with was pretty little feather marks print from it’s spread wings, scared the living [zb] out of me though I can tell you. :open_mouth:

xichrisxi:

Dipper_Dave:

Anymore than 3 fingers and you’re looking at ■■■■■■■…

LOL

While I’m not disagreeing with you on thing I’m thinking is if it’s so bad to take it out how did it get into the yard without the driver getting points, or is that where it happened?

mac12:
While I’m not disagreeing with you on thing I’m thinking is if it’s so bad to take it out how did it get into the yard without the driver getting points, or is that where it happened?

It started as a chip, defected on Friday, Monday and Tuesday, driving this morning, bump in road and cracked. Pulled over in a safe spot, which was first drop 3 mins away and it’s not moved since!

damo84:

Knightk386:

Cracks in main view.

Hope that helps

That’s what I think too, I said it’s an MOT fail, so unsafe, their argument is “if a brake light goes out that’s an MOT failure too!”

I dont think the 2 are comparable!

From a policing perspective, if I pulled you for these two reasons, the cracked screen and a failed braked Light.

If you said to me sorry, it was worked when I did my daily checks, I would have no reason to doubt you.

If you said the same for the windscreen was ok it just hit a bump etc, I would be expecting you to not drive the vehicle unless it’s to return to the depot or a repairer.

Remember, it’s your licence.

damo84:

mac12:

It started as a chip, defected on Friday, Monday and Tuesday, driving this morning, bump in road and cracked. Pulled over in a safe spot, which was first drop 3 mins away and it’s not moved since!

That seems fair enough they had 4 days to fix it. Just hope it’s not raining when they change it.

Reef:
Kick the windscreen out, no windscreen = no crack = no problem. :smiley:

But yeah, I’d definitely say the only place I’d drive that is to a quiet spot in the yard and wait for the windscreen repair van, may sound over dramatic to a certain Scot working for an Irish outfit, but I’ve had a Pigeon hit the windscreen dead on where that crack is, I bet the [zb]er would have come all the way through if my screen was cracked like in that picture, luckily all I was left with was pretty little feather marks print from it’s spread wings, scared the living [zb] out of me though I can tell you. :open_mouth:

call it in.get a txt from your office to confrm its booked for later in the day(after youve done your drops),take it back dump it and walk away.if you got tugged,at least youve done something positive,and would go well towards passing the attitude test.job gets done,truck gets fixed,your bum gets covered .you might get a gv9 at worst,or you may not.bearing in mind you could prob drive about in it like that for the next 6 month and never get puled for it.it might not look so bad if you didnt write all over it in a marker pen?
apart from a few companies over here,then you would just get ridiculed for calling that in or thinking about just getting on with it,but we certainly dont need to be runnng past the weighbridges to any great extent…and… a crack isnt a big deal over here…were more interested in craic… :smiley: