4x4 falls from car transporter on M6

Someone’s in a bit of bother…
google.co.uk/amp/www.birmin … 640448.amp

Falls, or knocked off by being slightly over height? As see it’s right under gantry…?

If only the truck concerned…

Had a manual gearbox, this wouldn’t have happened. :smiley: (sorry, couldn’t resist)

Nice to see our fellow drivers were tailgating as usual. :unamused:

Moreover, I wonder how many drivers didn’t divert via the toll road becuase they didn’t want to pay?

Seems to me the perfect situation for the toll road to prove it’s worth but, looking at those queues it would appear that no one bothered.

Using the toll road is down to the company in my case. I’d ring it in and let them say yay or nay, they won’t pay the toll unless they want you to use it.

slowlane:
Using the toll road is down to the company in my case. I’d ring it in and let them say yay or nay, they won’t pay the toll unless they want you to use it.

Lol

By the time one has ponced about asking permission to use the toll road - any time one might have saved, is lost from the stop making the call - right? :bulb:

When driving up the M42 where it branches off (free) I’m always amazed to be being overtaken by various trucks that have now committed to go onto the M6 toll northbound at that point. Trucking firms like Stobarts that always moan they don’t have much money and all.

What does it really save you, even if you are on the way to somewhere like Stoke?
Unless you know there is a huge accident/jam on the elevated part of the M6 through Brum - why would anyone ever want to use this toll road at that kind of money? :confused:

Another unexpected event and we have vehicles ploughing into each other!
Drivers just don’t seem to know the meaning of a “Safe distance from the vehicle in front”

Winseer:
By the time one has ponced about asking permission to use the toll road - any time one might have saved, is lost from the stop making the call - right? :bulb:

When driving up the M42 where it branches off (free) I’m always amazed to be being overtaken by various trucks that have now committed to go onto the M6 toll northbound at that point. Trucking firms like Stobarts that always moan they don’t have much money and all.

What does it really save you, even if you are on the way to somewhere like Stoke?
Unless you know there is a huge accident/jam on the elevated part of the M6 through Brum - why would anyone ever want to use this toll road at that kind of money? :confused:

It costs over £1.80 to accelerate a 44 tonne truck from zero to 56mph, how many times can you do that on the M6. That’s before you take wages and other factors into consideration.

How you work that one out…■■?

Goldfinger:

Think of a number, double it, divide by five, and multiply by four :laughing:

Winseer:

I know Stobarts used to pay a “yearly fee” to use it rather than for each journey.

Goldfinger:

I assume it was me you were asking? I got given that figure a few years ago on a Mercedes driving course when fuel was cheaper so that actually may be a conservative estimate tbh. A fully laden truck accelerating will drink fuel at around 2mpg, do the math.

Yes I was… :blush:

Using a relative free flowing toll road is surely a no brainer :confused: Trying to avoid toll roads over here is very possible but…can add hours to a journey and does nothing for fuel consumption.
Having to actually ask an employer whether you can use a toll road?? Whatever has it come to… :unamused:

Slowlane works for Downton’s, Andrew.

The next thing they are probably going to do is charge you for the water flush when you have a dump in their toilets :unamused:

Mind you, there is plenty time for a dump as they take an HOURS break off you each day :open_mouth:

If only it was rope and sheeted

the maoster:

Goldfinger:

I assume it was me you were asking? I got given that figure a few years ago on a Mercedes driving course when fuel was cheaper so that actually may be a conservative estimate tbh. A fully laden truck accelerating will drink fuel at around 2mpg, do the math.

Two men on overtime and that toll looks tempting. We let our drivers make tbeirc own minds up.

tango boy:

slowlane:

Lol

Funny as I left Lymm at about 6:15am heading south, saw the signs saying 90min delay, took the toll road and because of the traffic they were letting the people threw the toll free of charge.

Just done a couple of 5kph to max runs out of peages. Freighted about 40ton levelish road and keep it in auto. About 1.3 and 1.4 litres shown on the tripmeter. Not saying it’s super accurate, but shows a coupla quids to go from rest to max is about right?
Re peages, we’re left to make our own route choices.
I spent some time being a logging different fuel/time/peage costs on some routes I frequently used. Kept me amused for a while. One other argument in favour of using (Eu especially) peage against national roads is wear and tear on vehicles. I don’t know but it must be difficult to cost that accurately? In a big fleet by careful analysis it is probably possible, but wouldn’t a smaller operation have to rely on a “feeling” for it? Or have any studies been made public??
A proper driver, IMHO, would be thinking about fuel, time, tolls, wear and tear, as well as where their favourite restaurant is. Difficult to balance out a steep hill that makes the cooling system work hard, against a resto with a good chef and a pretty barmaid.
Hhmmm.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

AndrewG:
Using a relative free flowing toll road is surely a no brainer :confused: Trying to avoid toll roads over here is very possible but…can add hours to a journey and does nothing for fuel consumption.
Having to actually ask an employer whether you can use a toll road?? Whatever has it come to… :unamused:

Guy I used to work for came to this conclusion soon after the toll road opened. Got tags for the trucks and said use it if you can.
He was not a man to do this for driver convenience!