Car transporters

Carryfast:

Franglais:
Muckles’s last paragraph is how I see it going. Petrol v8s on a track and diesel 4x4s in the mud. Ultimately there will be no place for human controlled road vehicles. Especially in urban environments. Not for a while maybe, but quicker than many would believe. And I won’t put more of a time frame on it than that.

On that note I was happy enough with years of commuting often in the traffic between here and Feltham with a manual Triumph 2.5 PI and manual Granada 2.8i for example.

And assuming most of the time you couldn’t use the power of handling of those cars, what exactly was the pleasure in crawling through urban traffic? However if you enjoy it so much, maybe on your time off you could find some like minded people and find a piece of tarmac and all sit in a traffic jam together. :open_mouth:

Carryfast:
While it’s going to be bleedin difficult to justify all the costs of keeping and transporting a ‘proper’ car which can only be used off road.

Surely no worse than those people who now transport classic cars to shows and race tracks, it will become a leisure activity not a necessity.

Carryfast:
IE this is all about the clear questions will we still be able to drive the vehicle of our choice as and where we please.Or will it be a case of the Demolition Man type scenario of only compulsory use of an expensive boring robot EV being allowed on the roads ?.That’s all that really matters here.With it being obvious which way people will vote with their wallets ‘if’ it’s a case of the former.Bearing in mind the issue of people supposedly not valuing the freedom and pleasure of actually driving seems to be massively ( deliberately ? ) over estimated and while we might moan about the worst aspects of driving,that’s still better than some control freak telling us that we can’t drive anything anywhere which is what this really seems to be all about. :bulb:

It might not be forced on people, more likely car ownership will fizzle out, like carriage driving didn’t die out over night with the introduction of the car and commercial vehicle.
A new generation might be less interested in driving for transportation, when they can spend that time doing something far more productive while being transported to their destination.
Those that are interested in driving will do it as a hobby, a bit like those who have a modern bike or car for track use only. I know people who never ride a motorbike on the road and people who have high powered cars they never use on the road, they see no point in doing so as you can’t get anywhere near the limits of the vehicle on the public roads without risking your licence or having to deal with other road users, many of whom are just not interested in driving and probably aren’t really concentrating on what they are doing. Why do you think the Nordschleife is so popular, especially it seems from my last visit to there with British drivers?