Ratchet strap winding handle

I would advise anybody that winds up straps by hand , to buy one, i got mine for about a tenner at Lymm truckstop, it takes seconds to wind them up, well as before, you get pain and wear and tear in your wrist ,or use internet shopping to have one delivered by parcel .

toby1234abc:
I would advise anybody that winds up straps by hand , to buy one, i got mine for about a tenner at Lymm truckstop, it takes seconds to wind them up, well as before, you get pain and wear and tear in your wrist ,or use internet shopping to have one delivered by parcel .

I had one from Lymm but now I have a small one permanently attached to my chassis which I use multiple times daily, I couldn’t go back to winding them up by hand, another good one to have is from a workshop in Carlisle, they make a ratchet bar to fit in the ratchet handle for a tenner. No straining to get timber strapped tightly.

toby1234abc:

Are they the magnetic or the G clamp type? Always fancied getting one but never did.

or maybe this handheld? rhaonline.co.uk/vehicle–dri … nde_-.html

Also anyone use one of these? rhaonline.co.uk/vehicle–dri … -051-.html

Reef:

toby1234abc:

Are they the magnetic or the G clamp type? Always fancied getting one but never did.

Hand held

This is the one I have, wouldn’t / couldn’t be without it

On the RHA page for the handheld winder it says…

Ratchet Straps take at least 2 minutes for an experienced driver to roll by hand

What a load of bollux, I don’t think it’s ever taken me two minutes to roll up a strap, I bet i could do at least three in two minutes, not as fast as a winder granted but two minutes per strap? Nah, don’t think so.

Reef:

Ratchet Straps take at least 2 minutes for an experienced driver to roll by hand

What a load of bollux, I don’t think it’s ever taken me two minutes to roll up a strap, I bet i could do at least three in two minutes, not as fast as a winder granted but two minutes per strap? Nah, don’t think so.

about 10 seconds with a winder and no RSI, just need like a harpoon gun now to throw the straps over the load, I have a permanent strained right shoulder muscle through throwing them high and far.

When you’re doing 15 of them at a time sometimes 3 or 4 times in a shift they save a load of time and as others have said, a lot of pain.

I’m not questioning how good/quick the winders are, I’ve seen them in use on the chep pallet trailers so I accept they are as fast as advertised, what I questioned is the RHA shop ad saying that “it takes two minutes per strap for an ‘experienced’ driver”, maybe a fat lazy [zb]er who has to stop every third turn to pull his saggy arsed jeans up but certainly not for me.

Reef:
I’m not questioning how good/quick the winders are, I’ve seen them in use on the chep pallet trailers so I accept they are as fast as advertised, what I questioned is the RHA shop ad saying that “it takes two minutes per strap for an ‘experienced’ driver”, maybe a fat lazy [zb]er who has to stop every third turn to pull his saggy arsed jeans up but certainly not for me.

Two mins per strap, it would have to be a long bloody strap!!

UKtramp:

Reef:

about 10 seconds with a winder and no RSI, just need like a harpoon gun now to throw the straps over the load, I have a permanent strained right shoulder muscle through throwing them high and far.

A ratchet strap harpoon gun… now your onto something! That I’d pay money for. I can’t begin to contemplate how many times I’ve sworn at failing to thrown a strap clear of the load. Im just a self confessed lazy bugger avoiding climbing onto the trailer…

The moose:
A ratchet strap harpoon gun… now your onto something! That I’d pay money for. I can’t begin to contemplate how many times I’ve sworn at failing to thrown a strap clear of the load. Im just a self confessed lazy bugger avoiding climbing onto the trailer…

Our curtainsider trailers are really high but when we double stack timber it leaves about 3" clearance to throw through, I usually get 3 out of 4 through but never all 4 at one hit. Such a pain, harpoon gun needs to become a reality.

Anybody use this system or was it just an idea that flopped?

Looks like we have UKTramp on the left (19 seconds in) :laughing:

btw driver on left is smarter because he also got a 15min break in too

Seen a couple of the Pallex trailers with something similar to that system on when I’ve been in the hub loading. They have them on the single deck trailers they collect pallets of bricks and blocks with from Marshalls. Slightly different in the ratchet straps are held to the internal strap rails by bungee type elastic instead of rope pulleys. Seem to work very well, wouldnt mind some on my trailer for general pallet stuff.

Deker trailers do a similar product dekertrailers.co.uk/load-restraint/

Recommend these ones, mine’s 3 years old and still going strong
ebay.co.uk/itm/182723801240

Can anyone understand why people wind the strap around the actual ratchet,it realey winds me up :unamused:

I have a company issued hand held one, they are so simple but ace.

Those straps on bungees are great and a real time saver. The best I’ve seen was a Polish trailer with a kind of cargo net suspended on bungees in the same way.

I would have no confidence in stuff like this
I need to feel the click on my wrist to have the confidence it will hold

Reef:

toby1234abc:

or maybe this handheld? rhaonline.co.uk/vehicle–dri … nde_-.html

Also anyone use one of these? rhaonline.co.uk/vehicle–dri … -051-.html

The clamp type is what I use, brilliant, simple device!!!

Midnight Rambler:
Can anyone understand why people wind the strap around the actual ratchet,it realey winds me up :unamused:

Same here. A leave cover driver has done it with mine in the past and left them like it!! :imp:
He doesn’t anymore though after I threatened to wind it around his forking neck!