Tesla electric lorry to be revealed next month

I wonder how far that thing will go between charges. What will the Scania V8 fanboys do?

bbc.co.uk/news/business-41263152

Any pictures about to look at ?

Always feel electric vehicles are just shifting the pollution away not getting rid of it.

Can an electric lorry have any sort of useful range?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Or payload.
Them battery is mighty heavy.

Why not if they can make them reliable and a decent range.
I don’t think we will see them in the foreseeable future for long distance and heavy Haulage.
But there is a lot of short distance transport, and many of them never run at full weight.
Battery technology is coming on by bounds and leaps, so batteries will,be more powerful and lighter (have a look at your phone battery and remember how big the battery use to be, and how many minutes it lasted)
For in-city distribution it would be certainly a good solution, and remember the driveline of an electric truck is much lighter than a conventional vehicle.
I have had a Tesla vehicle (car) on test and the power is just unbelievable.
The torque is immediately there, and maybe you could charge them up while you are waiting to get tipped in one of these distribution centres, half a day or so.

Solar panels on top of trailers and units, wind turbines in the front grill to provide charging.

Kinetic energy charging from braking, wireless leccy charging from motorways etc…

The technologies available, but you can guarantee the moment I plug my kettle in the whole lot shuts down.

Dipper_Dave:
Solar panels on top of trailers and units, wind turbines in the front grill to provide charging.

Kinetic energy charging from braking, wireless leccy charging from motorways etc…

The technologies available, but you can guarantee the moment I plug my kettle in the whole lot shuts down.

I think the national grid should be more worried about mrs Dipper’s super-de-luxe ■■■■■■■■…

AndieHyde:
Or payload.

Going on the range the Tesla S has and based on its weight and the weight of its battery, a battery needed to move a 40 tonne truck 300 miles would weigh almost 10 tonnes.

does anybody remember a few months ago when all the hoo hah was about over building new nuclear power stations due to the foreseeable shortage of electricity generation capability , a lot of talk about greying out parts of the country as we were shutting down coal power plants and there wasn’t anything coming along to replace them . so hope I there’s enough leccy about in a few years time to charge all these wretched thing at around 6pm when everybody plugs in, be bit of bugger having an electric car in a bloody power cut wouldn’t it.

You beat me to it Caledionian Dream. This will probably be led by air quality legislation in cities to begin with. If companies can run trunking changeovers currently, sometimes swapping trailers with another haulier, then they can do the same thing at one of their own depots or another’s yard nearer to a city or town. There are already plans to increase weight limits to compensate for the additional chassis weight of alternative fuel vehicles. A look at the wasted space underneath the average semi trailer offers a possible solution to the range and charging issues.

IronEddie:
Always feel electric vehicles are just shifting the pollution away not getting rid of it.

They’re moving the power source from the on board combustion engine to the grid, which is powered by an increasing amount of renewables (wind and solar) at a decreasing price.

Dipper_Dave:
wind turbines in the front grill to provide charging.

The law of the conservation of energy says this will not work. Any charge such turbines produce will be negated by increase aero drag.

To me it would make more sense to start with smaller vehicles like 3.5t and 7.5t delivery vehicles which do more low speed low range work. Nissan already have a small van e-NV200. I have seen them in Leeds.

Conor:

AndieHyde:
Or payload.

Going on the range the Tesla S has and based on its weight and the weight of its battery, a battery needed to move a 40 tonne truck 300 miles would weigh almost 10 tonnes.

move everything on wagon and drags…10 ton of batteries in the wagon,and the load goes into the drag.job done. :smiley:

IronEddie:

Can an electric lorry have any sort of useful range?

I’ve often heard people say this and it’s an understandable conclusion.

The truth of the matter is that they are only as green as the power supply used to charge them. For instance, if you go out and buy a diesel generator to charge your car or truck then it’s pointless.

The cost of renewable energy is now on a par with fossil & nuclear. In fact, China has even recentlly cancelled 85 coal fired power stations and will replace them with Solar parks & other renewables China scraps construction of 85 planned coal power plants | The Independent | The Independent

There’s a seismic shift in energy generation and storage happening in our lifetime. I think we should all embrace it and run with it.

Oh, and ■■■■■■■ might just pip Tesla at the line with this prototype Trucks.com - Marketplace for Truck, SUV and Van enthusiasts :smiley:

dancompression:

IronEddie:

They’re moving the power source from the on board combustion engine to the grid, which is powered by an increasing amount of renewables (wind and solar) at a decreasing price.

Dipper_Dave:

The law of the conservation of energy says this will not work. Any charge such turbines produce will be negated by increase aero drag.

To me it would make more sense to start with smaller vehicles like 3.5t and 7.5t delivery vehicles which do more low speed low range work. Nissan already have a small van e-NV200. I have seen them in Leeds.

True we are slowly moving to generate all electricity via green or nuclear means. But what about the construction of the vehicle itself? The petrochemicals used to create the plastics used extensively in the vehicles construction for example, the construction of the batteries themselves isn’t green either.

IronEddie:
[True we are slowly moving to generate all electricity via green or nuclear means. But what about the construction of the vehicle itself? The petrochemicals used to create the plastics used extensively in the vehicles construction for example, the construction of the batteries themselves isn’t green either.

During the lifetime of the vehicle it will more than compensate for its increased manufacturing environmental costs. Combustion engines vehicles need manufacturing too! The batteries are recyclable. It would NOT be a good idea to scrap a combustion engine vehicle before the end of it’s life because it isn’t electric.

blog.ucsusa.org/rachael-nealer/g … ssions-953

And as mentioned, this will improve as renewable increase.

IronEddie:

dancompression:

IronEddie:

Dipper_Dave:

True we are slowly moving to generate all electricity via green or nuclear means. But what about the construction of the vehicle itself? The petrochemicals used to create the plastics used extensively in the vehicles construction for example, the construction of the batteries themselves isn’t green either.

The vehicle would need to be constructed anyway? The ony difference is that it will be constructed in the future using renewable energy and it won’t burn fossil fuels. It’s a net reduction in CO2.

The “you have to make electricity to charge it” argument doesn’t stack up either. Fossil fuel power stations are still way more efficient at producing electricity than an internal combustion engine ever will be at producing energy. Currently, we’re cutting out the burning of diesel and petrol part.

and another thing…
refining fossil fuels requires electricity!

Does it come with sidepipes or stacks?

Anyway, it’s not a Scania and not a V8 so what is the point of it exactly? :confused:

A.

Electric truck for a smaller rigid doing town/city centre multi drops within a 30 mile radius from the depot might not be far away.

To put it on a 44 tonner going up and down the country all week. I think they are a LONG way off making that happen.

Electric truck for a smaller rigid doing town/city centre multi drops within a 30 mile radius from the depot might not be far away.

To put it on a 44 tonner going up and down the country all week. I think they are a LONG way off making that happen.