Tesla electric lorry to be revealed next month

switchlogic:

muckles:

AndrewG:
It was a hypothetical example of running out of fuel versus running the batteries flat but you missed that .
Driving in Europe i know exactly how many Tesla chargers there are. It may be happening and you very obviously are all for it and short distance/local work there may be a market for it but with massive battery weight for long haul heavy weight trucks it’ll never happen…‘till the cows come home’. Long haul you could actually add hours onto a journey time, i can do 3000km without refuelling, Thats around another 4hrs charging time possibly going into another days driving or…possibly going into another week if running hrs to the max.

But you can’t do 3000kms in a day, so you have to stop somewhere either for daily rest or for a break or while your truck is being loaded and unloaded, it quite likely with the correct infrastructure in place at one of these points you’ll be able to recharge your truck each day without adding time to your day.

He clearly does 3,000km in one hit without stopping… :wink:

Youve missed my point again :unamused: Of course i have to stop, but for breaks only! I dont have to recharge/ refuel which is very obviously something thats going to crop up many times with electric. As for the infrastructure, which RDC’s for instance do you actually know that has the drivers welfare/ his haulage company close to their heart? Do you honestly believe these RDC’s and various other tipping points are going to allow truck charging on their premises while they wait/tip?? Of course not, they want the goods and for the driver to get out of their yard as soon as.
As for long haul, company i sub for is expanding and Norway will soon be on the list, beats me where you get this idea that trucks will only go as far as their own border?? Maybe on the relative little island that is the UK but certainly not the rest of Europe. Long haul across the continent is still a massive industry and its not shrinking anytime soon.
I have the feeling you have the impression im a sort of tech dinosaur, far from it. My Villa is virtually self powered, 26 solar roof panels and another 36 ground floor panels in its own compound charge big capacity li ion batteries that power everything from the blinds/ garage door/ car turntable/ LED lighting plus heat all the hot water you’ll ever need. Most of the time everythings up to capacity and its throwing it back into the grid. Everythings energy A+++ rated and as green as is possible with the current technology, im all for saving the planet/whale and for ever else needs rescuing but my own view on electric trucks isnt a positive one thats all…
Oh… nearly forgot… :wink: