Lorries in lay-bys

Taken from Friday’s Daily Telegraph…

Sir- I would like to make a plea for facilitites to be made for lorries that currently park overnight in lay-bys.
We recently made two late-evening journeys-one along the A34 north and the other along the A6. Had we needed a break it would have been impossible as every lay-by was solidly occupied by lorries.
Surely it is time better facilities were made for these long distance lorries, leaving room for the weary traveller to stop. I am also very concerned that these lorries have no lavatories, so the areas must be most insanitary.
This might be an opportunity for farmers to utilise patches of unproductive land to make a cash crop of overnight lorries. Obviously, for this to work it will have to made illegal for lorries to occupy lay-bys overnight.

Patricia Graham, Huntingdonshire

i dont buy the telegraph just read it when its lying around in the works canteen

you’ve got to feel sorry for those “weary travelers”.

groovemachine:
you’ve got to feel sorry for those “weary travelers”.

But that “weary traveler” does seem to be thinking about those poor lorry drivers, and their (lack of) facilities, rather than just wishing them gone.
Parking made illegal for more than say 2hours, if there are no toilets? Good idea, after those farmers use their subsidised, set aside land for summat useful…truck parks…

We can all dream.

Well that is a very well written piece and makes very valid points. However it makes no difference to anyone and will fall on deaf ears. It is really of no interest to anyone other than to a lorry driver. In the general public’s eye , truckers have parking facilities with truck stops and MSA’s have separate facilities for HGV drivers. So why are HGV’s parking in lay-bys. They see it as avoiding paying parking fees and looking at it in the same way as an invalid looks upon a normal car driver parking in an invalid spot. What she is really doing is complaining about trucks using lay-bys leaving no space for her or other motorists to park.

They were doing alright, until that last sentence!

Nice of her to offer the opportunity of a Cash Crop to poverty stricken farmers and the fantastic idea of making it illegal to park in lay-bys overnight.

Yet another bored who can I write to letter that’s never been thought through.

Must have been a weary traveller moment when she thought it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patricia from Huntingdonshire ain’t going to be happy until the whole country has road signs like this… self centred ■■■■■!

Personally I’d like to see cars banned from laybys, they’ve no need to use them and only take up space for trucks which legally have to take a break unlike the weary Patricia.

A.

yourhavingalarf:
Taken from Friday’s Daily Telegraph…

Sir- I would like to make a plea for facilitites to be made for lorries that currently park overnight in lay-bys.
We recently made two late-evening journeys-one along the A34 north and the other along the A6. Had we needed a break it would have been impossible as every lay-by was solidly occupied by lorries.
Surely it is time better facilities were made for these long distance lorries, leaving room for the weary traveller to stop. I am also very concerned that these lorries have no lavatories, so the areas must be most insanitary.
This might be an opportunity for farmers to utilise patches of unproductive land to make a cash crop of overnight lorries. Obviously, for this to work it will have to made illegal for lorries to occupy lay-bys overnight.

Patricia Graham, Huntingdonshire

is the idea we fertilise the land ?

Although I feel Patricia goes through life writing letters about anything that causes her the slightest inconvenience, an ‘entitled’ member of the highest order of aloofness if you will. She does have a valid point or two.

Doubt many farmers will be keen to give up nicely subsidized land in favour of the hassle of running a lorry park though.

But layby parking is a pet hate of mine as it screams desperation or a cheap skate company that won’t pay for parking.

Better facilities for truckers we can all agree on. Even if it’s just to help Patricia when out on a long trip with her children Tyranus and Chlamydia and suddenly she feels a little weary.

Good on her I say for raising an issue we are all familiar with, her motives may be different but the end solutions I support.

Are laybys really suitable for overnight stops ? No.
We shouldnt be critisising our Patricia, she is right: laybys are good for a quick break, but not for an overnight rest. Dont blame her if there are not sufficient suitable parking areas for trucks. She is the messenger, she isnt saying we should really be in those big empty truck parks. She sees the problem AND offers a solution. If she stands for parliament shell get my vote! Can`t see many farmers supporting her though. :smiley:

Franglais:
Are laybys really suitable for overnight stops ? No.
We shouldnt be critisising our Patricia, she is right: laybys are good for a quick break, but not for an overnight rest. Dont blame her if there are not sufficient suitable parking areas for trucks. She is the messenger, she isnt saying we should really be in those big empty truck parks. She sees the problem AND offers a solution. If she stands for parliament shell get my vote! Can`t see many farmers supporting her though. :smiley:

^ +1

I hope more prim n’ proppa’s follow her lead and pick up the pen, nobody who’s anybody would ever listen to or care about us downtrodden lower working class vermin peasants, so let Mrs ‘silk slip and undies’ fight on our behalf.

We have another fine lady fighting our cause and I bet not many of you have even heard of her, Her name is Karen Roberts and even though she had no background in transport at all she stumbled across some drivers complaining on social media regarding toilet and security facilities at MSA’s for LGV drivers, so she’s picked up the gauntlet and doing what truck drivers apparently can’t, she is actually conversing with and making some headway with the MSA groups, in fact she has now devoted all her time and efforts to the cause, check her out on Twitter (search the name I gave or KarenRo57045350) or look for her Facebook page (search for roberts organised alliance for drivers) I won’t post any links as no doubt Rikki would come stomping on my head but it won’t take you long to find the right person.

The problem is as soon as decent parking becomes available it will be spoilt by a minority. I use to park on a car park of a shop with the managers concent now that’s been stopped as some flip flops decided to use it and left the place like a landfill site

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Would love to know if we’re supposed to park in these friendly farmers fields, has the farmer been nice enough to put down tarmac or is this going to be the glastonbury for trucks, ie: mudbath that requires a tractor to pull everyone out.

Ahhhh, now I get it…!

Would imagine if you could hear her speak it would be with a mouthful of plums… :stuck_out_tongue:

AndrewG:
Would imagine if you could hear her speak it would be with a mouthful of plums… :stuck_out_tongue:

They wouldn’t be mine Andrew. Mine are huge :wink:

The lady does have a valid point whatever her motives.

Trouble is the cost of creating a simple lorry park with suitable access and surfacing would run to £millions, we’d have armies of highways and council hivis wearers doing their all expenses reports, then pubic consultations and the usual nimbys up in arms…for Christ’s sake in so posh our combined ■■■■■ don’t smell Oxfordshire they got rid of all the tea vans on the A34 and lorries banned from Kidlington services bloody decades ago, so what hope is there of a single suitable lorry park anywhere along that route.

Its not just suitable access roads once you’ve got past the perma shiny arsed hivis’s, it would have to be manned 24/7 or the bloody non members of the caravan club would move in and use it for their usual dubious deeds leaving it like the aftermath of an explosion costing £thousands to clean up when they eventually get booted off, electricity water sewage etc all having to be laid on and maintained, the cost to park would probably end up more than an MSA because it couldn’t pay for itself just from lorries, car drivers would need special facilities or they’d faint, then the disabled band wagon jumpers would want their needs provided for free, not forgetting bloody coaches of day trippers, or the bloody caravanners who need the space for three artics just to park one 16ft knackered Sprite in, then we’d need gender neutral baby changing and all the other rubbish that those who have never done a days work in their lives dream up to justify their existence.

Bloody hell there’s more to this parking lark than meets the eye.

eagerbeaver:

AndrewG:

Yeah yeah, you wish… :grimacing:

AndrewG:

eagerbeaver:

AndrewG:

Yeah yeah, you wish… :grimacing:

They are mate honestly. Trapped in the fridge door earlier :cry:

She’s right , saw driver hoping over gate and running across field towards wood other morning , poor sod ( been there done it ) , we shouldn’t have to ■■■■ in a wood / field/ hedge or under a trailer :unamused: