ABS/EBS lights

Amber warning lights coming up on dashboard when connecting up to some newer trailers(05 unit). Just a wiring incompatability and yet this is agv9 offence when stopped by vosa i understand.
Can you have the lead modified? Will it then work properly with older trailers?
Do you have to carry a different lead?

Make sure youve got a 7 pin lead and not a 5 pin.

What sometimes gets the lights out is

Turn ignition off,then hold footbrake on,turn ignition back on.And on our volvos you can hear the abs blowing off as it resets itself.
Watch the warning lights on the dah and they should sequence.
This might help but dont hold me to it.

When ever i see a scania passing theyve always got a warning light on.I dont know how they manage at a ministry check.

Cheers

Tony b

MIght be wrong but i thought:

Amber warning light: incompatability issue. light gives advice.

Red warning light: ABS fault/ABS not working. Stop! GV9 'able.

but may vary by truck manufacturer?

This is a constant problem at our place with the Cartwright trailers we use.

Haldex,who supply the EBS system on these particular trailers,were,at one point,coming out regularly to re-set the system,after Renault discounted the fact it was the Premiums that were the cause of the problem.

But what we discovered,was that if you left the engine running when connecting the trailer,it was tripping the EBS system to show it was faulty.

The solution was to connect the trailer with the engine AND ignition switched off,then once connected,turn on the ignition,let the unit and trailer do their respective checks,fire the engine up,and all was hunky dory.

Ken.

Exactly what Ken said :stuck_out_tongue:

Turn off the ignition when coupling and most systems will read the ABS / EBS correctly.

We had this problem with some of the older trailers at GBE but the newer ones or the ones fitted with discs never seemed to have the problem

It’s not a clear cut issue.

I have experienced ABS lights continuously illuminated but extinguishing when the brake pedal is depressed ( which I assume to be normal)

With EBS sometimes the amber warning light will stay on, until the the vehicle reaches 5mph , then extinguishes ( again presumed normal)

The correct type of ABS lead is a factor, and it is important to establish whether you trailer is ABS or EBS equipped, as the operation differs

Usually if EBS is working correctly, their is virtually no delay in the application of the trailer brakes upon the brake pedal being pressed.

In such instances if there is a delay in operation or the brakes feel harder to apply than you would usually expect, suspect a problem

Vosa have published a guide to ABS/EBS that seems to cover most vehicle makes and combinations.

HERE.

Forty pages long so, if on dial-up, be prepared to wait.
:unamused:

Interesting guide - it seems there are so many anomalies that it’s left to the courts to decide if it’s taken that far. Most of the onus seems to be on the annual check so drivers are let off the hook to some extent. One major company I occasionally drive for has a regular problem with Scanias showing ABS faults, often only after the journey has started & the Transport Manager’s line is that if you’re stopped you just confirm the fault was after departure & you that will defect it on return.

I go with Ken and Malc on this one, I have always been taught to turn off ignition when coupling and this will allow the system to reset, never had a problem.

we have 18 year old trailers so that ABS light is always on and just as often, ignored! i did have a 51 reg FH12 with a hired trailer the other day and that had the amber ABS light on too.

then again, out of our 4 tri axle trailers, 4 of them are currently VOR for brakes, 2 of which have been labelled DEAD so im guessing they are being replaced :laughing: