Coming back, conflicting advice?

Hi all,

Looking to come back to driving over the Winter period as my current work is proving quite seasonal and really am struggling to find anything else I’d like to do, I’ve been regretting leaving driving since the day I left it.
Been away from it all since 2014 and obviously when I left I was still on my Acquired Rights for the CPC. I haven’t got any DCPC time registered on the system that I’m aware of.
Speaking to the Two most reputable CPC training organisations in the area Today I’ve been given some conflicting advice.

Training provider 1 says I only need to do 2 modules to get my card now and then the further 5 in the next 5 years to be fully covered and keep it valid for that period.

Training provider 2 is saying that I have to do the full 5 before I can get my card.

As I never had a card I would assume that number 2 is the correct answer but was hoping someone on here might be able to give me a more informed opinion.

Alex

Yep no 2 is correct.

Was in the same boat. Did the CPC last Oct then went Agency. One thing I would advise get one of those Skills training vouchers. Will give you £200 off the course. Helps keeps the costs down if paying for it yourself.

I think provider 1 was referring to the scheme where a driver returning to the industry could do part of the initial DCPC to get their card, instead of the periodic DCPC.

You have the choice, if you’ve never done them before, any driver can do the mod 2 + 4 to get 5 years, or you can do 5x7 hours worth of courses and never do the mod 2 + 4 as you all it’s up to you

Thanks for the response guys. Much appreciated.

Just remember if you do the 1st one you must Pass the test
The 2nd option is sit and be board with no pass or fail

stevieboy308:
You have the choice, if you’ve never done them before, any driver can do the mod 2 + 4 to get 5 years, or you can do 5x7 hours worth of courses and never do the mod 2 + 4 as you all it’s up to you

Correct - if NEVER had a DQC issued to you

Sand Fisher:
Yep no 2 is correct.

Was in the same boat. Did the CPC last Oct then went Agency. One thing I would advise get one of those Skills training vouchers. Will give you £200 off the course. Helps keeps the costs down if paying for it yourself.

Sorry i know this is an old thread but i tght better this than start a new convo. Im in same boat, doing cpc for first time after acquired rights. Quotes coming in are £65 per module so £325 in total for 35 hours.

What is this skills voucher training?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Can I ask what’s acquired rights?
I thought you need a card no card no driving.

edd1974:
Can I ask what’s acquired rights?
I thought you need a card no card no driving.

Historical, going back ten years now. When the rules about “Professional Qualifications” were bought in existing licence holders were given a free ride for the first 5 yrs, IIRC.
You are quite correct everyone needs a card now, and it`s been so for years, “acquired rights” have long since disappeared.

Has anyone done mod 2 and 4 as opposed to cpc? Which is cheaper and easier?

If it’s of any use, you can get 21 hours for DCPC if you do ADR.

DCPC has no exam/test at the end of it, so is impossible to fail. (Provided you stay awake). Mod 2 has an overall pass rate of about 66% (better for older candidates tho).
Some DCPC modules can be interesting and worthwhile, but they can also be boring and useless.
Shop around for prices, but Albion has a good idea in suggesting increasing your skills with a Haz ticket. More expensive, but could make a better CV and show a positive attitude?

I came back to driving almost 3 years ago, after 18 years, so had no CPC card. I just applied for a card and did 5 x 7 hours training.
warning: you may go insane by doing it all in one week!

I did Modules 2 and 4 straight after passing my test. Really easy to get through and the cheapest option . Plan on doing ADR toward my next 5 years

I went through this about 3 years ago. I did modules 2 and 4 but the whole process took about 5 months, most of that time waiting for DVSA to process my application. Because I was a historical licence holder I could not do the application online. Then you have to apply and wait for the chance to do mod 2 at the local DVSA centre and do 1 days training with a training provider including the use of a vehicle to do mod 4.

trekxor:
I came back to driving almost 3 years ago, after 18 years, so had no CPC card. I just applied for a card and did 5 x 7 hours training.
warning: you may go insane by doing it all in one week!

I´m doing one day a week and it´s doing my head in. Made worse by the fact that we just did the same module twice :open_mouth:
Only two more to go. :frowning:

Does cpc card start date start from when you have completed all 35 hours? I ask because i will do training over a few months and wondered whether you lose those few months from the first module completed up until completion?

Mystery Action:
I did modules 2 and 4 but the whole process took about 5 months.

If you have a post 97 car licence then it goes through very fast, approx 2 weeks when i did it. If you have an older one then it takes months just to be allowed to book the CPC mod 2 and 4 never mind then waiting to book them.

Petsonally for older licence holders i would go for the weeks training and do decent ones such as first aid or ADR as mentioned.

trevHCS:

Mystery Action:
I did modules 2 and 4 but the whole process took about 5 months.

If you have a post 97 car licence then it goes through very fast, approx 2 weeks when i did it. If you have an older one then it takes months just to be allowed to book the CPC mod 2 and 4 never mind then waiting to book them.

Petsonally for older licence holders i would go for the weeks training and do decent ones such as first aid or ADR as mentioned.

Both my car and HGV licences were very pre 97. Doing 5 modules might be a bit quicker but you’d still have to wait for DVSA to process the application to be allowed to do the cpc and that’s what took the majority of the time.