What do you think her punishment should have been?

bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england … -convicted

Five year ban, then eleven points on her licence when she gains it for another five years.

Oh, and full reparations to the poor sod behind who the learner first hit with the barrier, then reversed full pelt into.

Hopefully five years to think about her stupidity followed by another five years of paying through the nose for insurance will teach her a lession.

She was a learner driver,I would of thought the “qualified” driver guiding her will have to bear some of the responsibility for this.

Any idea what happened to the qualified driver who was with her.

:smiling_imp: Deportaion back to the colonies for the pair of them, after a lashing with a catOnines.

xichrisxi:
She was a learner driver,I would of thought the “qualified” driver guiding her will have to bear some of the responsibility for this.

If that were true in legal terms then you would struggle to get instruction in anything.

The laws regarding supervising a learner driver are very clear, they can be easily found.

A date with Dozy

mattecube:
A date with Dozy

Christ, nothing deserves that!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Harry Monk:

:laughing:

Looks like the driver behind was going to try their luck at the time too

nick2008:
Looks like the driver behind was going to try their luck at the time too

That’s what I thought.

There’s articles on the net quoting the AA as saying that a supervisor had been jailed after a learner killed 2 people.
BUT I’ve seen no links to any original AA statement nor to any newspaper or other reports of this case.
Anyone?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

xichrisxi:

Probably not unless the person was a qualified adi and the car would have dual controls.

bald bloke:

xichrisxi:

Probably not unless the person was a qualified adi and the car would have dual controls.

I see what you mean,
But, doesn’t this mean that in the event of an accident, the person who has taken the trouble and time to be trained, and fitted dual controls would be punished worse than someone who just jumps into the passenger seat?

Franglais:

bald bloke:

xichrisxi:

I see what you mean,
But, doesn’t this mean that in the event of an accident, the person who has taken the trouble and time to be trained, and fitted dual controls would be punished worse than someone who just jumps into the passenger seat?

Exactly. Don’t get me started on the ludicrous ‘learner’ system of this country. How on earth can it be safe to take an inexperienced learner out on the (busy) road in a car without the ability to take evasive action/brake when the learner gets it wrong? And how can it be a good idea to let inexperienced, and quite likely bad, drivers teach a new driver?

And you all wonder why the driving standards in this country are so bad? It’s because those bad drivers are teaching the next generation to drive like them…

the nodding donkey:

Franglais:

bald bloke:

xichrisxi:

I see what you mean,

Exactly. Don’t get me started on the ludicrous ‘learner’ system of this country. How on earth can it be safe to take an inexperienced learner out on the (busy) road in a car without the ability to take evasive action/brake when the learner gets it wrong? And how can it be a good idea to let inexperienced, and quite likely bad, drivers teach a new driver?

And you all wonder why the driving standards in this country are so bad? It’s because those bad drivers are teaching the next generation to drive like them…

Quick point, a supervising driver needs 3 years experience I believe. And be 21.

TiredAndEmotional:
'Foolish' level crossing-hopping learner driver convicted - BBC News

To get back to the original question, how about:-

At a time and place to be determined; taken to a public location, stripped naked and strapped to an old-fashioned spoked wagon wheel…

Then soundly whipped within an inch of their life with a halibut.

:sunglasses:

Dork Lard:

xichrisxi:

If that were true in legal terms then you would struggle to get instruction in anything.

The laws regarding supervising a learner driver are very clear, they can be easily found.

A qualified driver who is supervising a learner driver is deemed to be sharing control of the vehicle and carries the same legal responsibilities as the learner.

Unless there’s a good reason not to, such as the learner ignoring the supervising drivers instructions, the qualified supervisor should also be facing charges.

There are examples of a supervising driver being charged because the learner has caused an accident, Google “Rubie V Faulkner”.

Personally I don’t think a 12 month ban is long enough, driving over a railway crossing while the red lights are flashing is not only putting the car occupants in danger but could potentially derail a passenger train.

Franglais:

bald bloke:

xichrisxi:

I see what you mean,

You would not reasonably have expected the accident to happen with dual controls and a person experienced in supervision, but a supervisor without dual controls cannot be held entirely responsible for a learner who simply becomes flustered and doesn’t stop when told to. The supervisor therefore may not have been accountable for the passing of the red light. It’s notable as well that pedestrians we’re continuing to cross when the learner entered the crossing, and that two drivers behind also seemed prepared to do so (with the barrier narrowly missing the bonnet of one who was almost against the bumper of the learner).

One accident involving a learner, and a couple of thousand pounds worth of damage, is nothing to get hot under the collar about.

The signaller controlling the crossing (if it was controlled) shouldn’t have lowered the exit barriers while a vehicle was on the crossing, because in my opinion it was reasonable for everyone in the car to become very concerned indeed at that point and clear the rails by any means. It is certainly reasonable to ram the barrier for the sake of human life and to avoid a train crash.

Really what the learner did after crossing the red light is not unreasonable or beyond expectation (even by the standard of an experienced driver), having made a mistake which left her in circumstances that were unfamiliar, pressured, and dangerous if she simply remained stopped.

Perhaps the only difference is that an experienced driver, having made the initial mistake, may have quickly decided to ram the barrier ahead instead of behind, or maneouver the car side-on into the space parallel to the rail and barrier and therefore clear of the rail, or to push against the car behind in a more controlled fashion. It’s the initial mistake that most experienced drivers don’t make.

It’s a very sorry and unusual kind of accident where I think justice has entirely been done. Insurance premiums have been paid to cover the damage, and a court has marked the driver’s criminally dangerous driving with a period of reflection away from the public road. :laughing: