M1 down a406 to a13 in an artic London lorry night time ban

Can anyone tell me is their any restrictions i.e. London lorry night time ban from using the m1 down onto the A406 them around to the a13 traveling in an artic in the early hours during the week or does the London lorry night time ban cover the a406 aswell . As couldn’t see the a proper map of what exact areas are in the ban when I check google

trucker10:
Can anyone tell me is their any restrictions i.e. London lorry night time ban from using the m1 down onto the A406 them around to the a13 traveling in an artic in the early hours during the week or does the London lorry night time ban cover the a406 aswell . As couldn’t see the a proper map of what what exact areas are in the ban when I check google

Where are you going to?

I’m starting a new job night trunking from west thurrock to farnborough then onto hemel hempstead them back to west thurrock I was just looking for alternative route just in case the m25 going south was ever shut anywhere between the m1 and dartford

Got to go to bed. Basically with that area of London there’s more than one way to skin a cat. Think about going around the orbital M25 to A13, head in that way, less busy and fewer restrictions… really does depend on the last bit of your trip though.

P.s; must have typed this while you were posting :slight_smile:

londoncouncils.gov.uk/servic … ry-control

On that page you’ll find a link for “The Excluded Route Network” which will let you download the map.

trucker10:
Can anyone tell me is their any restrictions i.e. London lorry night time ban from using the m1 down onto the A406 them around to the a13 traveling in an artic in the early hours during the week or does the London lorry night time ban cover the a406 aswell . As couldn’t see the a proper map of what exact areas are in the ban when I check google

There are no restrictions on that route.

Well the odds of the orbital being completely closed are pretty low - especially on a night time. You do get the odd bit closed or the occasional junction - mainly for works etc. You can plan ahead for them.

Where there is sudden closure due to crashes etc, you could use any one of the many outer connective routes to go around the blockage - bringing you back to the 25. I would strongly recommend buying a map and consider each problem as it arises.

I certainly wouldn’t aim for London / North Circ unless I needed to go that way… regardless of the time of day… even though it is relatively quiet on a night.

Both…

North and south circular roads have some bridge height restrictions.

If you’re pulling a double decker you’ll need to plan accordingly.

M1 to A13, depending on which end of the A13 the destination is i’d be either going round M25 to the A13 itself or M25/M11 down to the A13, avoid all those sodding traffic lights from the M1 to A10 sections of the 406.
Obviously checking for night time roadworks on any and all routes before committing.

You would not be able to access a operator yard inside this zone - if their liveried vehicles were not “Left Alone” when seen on camera driving around the so-called “Restricted” roads in the area.

Take Fedex Depots for example: I don’t see any of them with the FORS stickers on them - but they all run around inside the A406 with seeming impunity…

How exactly is the “Night Ban” enforced I wonder?

Winseer:
You would not be able to access a operator yard inside this zone - if their liveried vehicles were not “Left Alone” when seen on camera driving around the so-called “Restricted” roads in the area.

Take Fedex Depots for example: I don’t see any of them with the FORS stickers on them - but they all run around inside the A406 with seeming impunity…

How exactly is the “Night Ban” enforced I wonder?

What has FORS got to do with the London lorry control.They have just had a major review of the London lorry control
you can read about it

Here londoncouncils.gov.uk/servic … iew-scheme

fingermissing:
They have just had a major review of the London lorry control
you can read about it

Here londoncouncils.gov.uk/servic … iew-scheme

Re link: I had a quick speed read and it appears that they haven’t had a major review. But have formed a couple of committees, who have at this stage set the agenda for a review.

Some interesting inclusions in there though - such as potential exemptions for the quietest fleets or electric trucks.

In my experience, some areas appear to be enforced more than others. And much of that comes down to commercial pressure.

In effect you should not be able to drive from Dartford to Belvedere in an artic until after 0700, but none seem to take any notice and nothing appears to be enforced… imagine the extra traffic around that area at rush hour if they did… tis already a pigs ear getting from Dart across the M25 toward Erith.

I’ll re-phrase my question:

“How does any night ban get enforced, when you cannot tell by looking at a passing truck on a camera - if they are authorized to be there or not?”

Winseer:

“How does any night ban get enforced, when you cannot tell by looking at a passing truck on a camera - if they are authorized to be there or not?”

I think you’ll find that they’re all registered with LBTS, any truck not registered will trigger an alert and the operator, and/ or driver will have to answer some questions.

GORDON 50:

Winseer:

I think you’ll find that they’re all registered with LBTS, any truck not registered will trigger an alert and the operator, and/ or driver will have to answer some questions.

You might assume ANPR would deal with it. Although my understanding is if your starting point is inside a restricted area - you are allowed to move during the restricted period. I stand to be corrected on that though.

If every camera around London now had APNR on it - then an outside driver for a large haulier treking inside the A406 would get noted at the first camera, and their outside yard fined.
What I’m thinking might actually be happening, is some bods are half-watching passing trucks on a camera, assume that those going through the restricted area are “of the local depot” for that particular firm, and not giving them a second look.

This would allow every yard sending wagons into an inside-406 branch - pretty much free rein as to where they go.

I did a job on agency that involved taking stuff to Enfield (inside M25, outside North Circular) dropping the trailer there, and then picking up an Enfield trailer, and carting it to some other depot inside the A406, tipped, return to Enfield, dropped, and then my trailer back to the Kent depot later on.

Now the “secondary” trailer has got the Bronze sticker on it - but the tractor doesn’t! It’s the same one right the way through the shift! SO… The number plate being picked up by APNR is going to be the same “Unauthorized” outside one surely■■? Neither my tractor or first-leg trailer have the bronze sticker on them…

Is there a “Fleet” arrangement, a “Depot” arrangement, or does the Bronze thing mean nothing at all now?

Winseer:
If every camera around London now had APNR on it - then an outside driver for a large haulier treking inside the A406 would get noted at the first camera, and their outside yard fined.
What I’m thinking might actually be happening, is some bods are half-watching passing trucks on a camera, assume that those going through the restricted area are “of the local depot” for that particular firm, and not giving them a second look.

This would allow every yard sending wagons into an inside-406 branch - pretty much free rein as to where they go.

I did a job on agency that involved taking stuff to Enfield (inside M25, outside North Circular) dropping the trailer there, and then picking up an Enfield trailer, and carting it to some other depot inside the A406, tipped, return to Enfield, dropped, and then my trailer back to the Kent depot later on.

Now the “secondary” trailer has got the Bronze sticker on it - but the tractor doesn’t! It’s the same one right the way through the shift! SO… The number plate being picked up by APNR is going to be the same “Unauthorized” outside one surely■■? Neither my tractor or first-leg trailer have the bronze sticker on them…

Is there a “Fleet” arrangement, a “Depot” arrangement, or does the Bronze thing mean nothing at all now?

I think it goes pretty much un-policed to a large degree. Even if they had bods making notes and taking pics - if my understanding is correct, they would have to deal with the issue of the starting point… which could have been inside the restricted area. Admin heaven :astonished:

Me pointing to ANPR, should probably have been ‘could’ rather than ‘should’.

I think where it is more likely to be flagged up - is if residents in a specific area started complaining about the restriction being ignored. And maybe The City itself.

We can only guess.

London Roulette?

FORs and the London Lorry Control Scheme (LLCS) are 2 completely different things. You don’t have to be FORS registered/accredited to drive in the LLCS. I thought the LLCS was controlled by cameras but according to their website

Enforcement is carried out by a team of five enforcement officers who monitor vehicles from the roadside.

If you have a drop inside the zone on a restricted road during the ban, you will need to get your route authorised on the LLCS website. If they approve your route you will get an authorisation number.

^ perhaps the transport office do that so the drivers don’t even realize what is happening behind the scenes…

I wonder what happens when the driver goes to pick up the secondary trailer to go into the center of town, and then takes it off the road? Switching the load to another standby trailer is one thing - but then I would imagine that switched trailer has to be put through the system all over again for “authorization”…?

Also, regarding APNR - the Dartford Crossing now has a drive-through with APNR system. When the barriers were still in place, you could drive into a small queue at say, 21:58 and wait for 22:00 when they’d open the barrier, and let you through without paying. Used to see plenty of locals bothing to do this, and always laughed at those who’d pay to go through the barriers at 21:59:50!!!

Now it’s APNR though - I wonder if there isn’t some kind of fiddle going on where LGVs going through the crossing cameras “still get billed” five whole minutes after 22:00 and the same before 06:00? Who’s gonna notice? In my mind the new system isn’t quite as transparent for third-party drivers as the old system. :bulb:

Fors and llcs are two totally different things.

Fors was started I think by tfl to get all operators to adhere to a common code of practise, basically glorified hse for the crossrail project, it was then adopted by the large construction firms as a standard on all construction projects within m25, it’s another layer of BS you pay to be a member of.

fors-online.org.uk/cms/

The llcs is a control system enforced by camera’s and vigilante locals, and its free to register, with tfl,
londoncouncils.gov.uk/servic … about-llcs